Sequel: Dear Katy
Status: READ THE SEQUEL!

Katy's Summer

Map Of The Quest

I leaned my head onto the window as I watched the raindrops fell on the other side. Everyone was at the front lounge, playing UNO cards. The sound of the rain drops smashed onto the bus’ top calmed me down for some reason. It has been almost a week and a half since we left Maryland and I ignored all of my parents’ calls.

“There you are.”, Serena walked in and sat next to me. “I thought you were in your bunk, napping.”

I shook my head. “I like it here.”

“Yeah, it’s a little piece of peaceful in this noisy metal capsule.”

“You got that right.”, I giggled.

“Hey, you wanna join us at the front lounge? We’re planning out.”

“Planning out what?”

Serena rolled her eyes and pulled me up. The smell of popcorn filled my nostrils as I walked down the bunks. “How about Disney World?”, Aubrey’s distinct voice was heard.

“What about Disney World?”, Serena asked again when we were there. She sat down beside her brother and leaned her head on his shoulder. I sat next to Alex on the couch and leaned down to see the map of the country. There were red spots on it, stars stickers, and hand-drawn penises. Ha.

“What are…”

“What? The dicks?”, Alex laughed. “That means places. The spots means awesome places, the stars means the girls’ favorite, and the dicks means places to crash. Jack drew it.”

“I have talent.”, Jack grinned with his mouth full of gummy bears. I shook my head slightly and leaned down to the map again. There were a star and a spot on Orlando, I think that was why they talked about Disney World.

“We added some few more spots for you.”, Aubrey exclaimed as she drew a spot above Nevada.

“What’s up with Nevada?”

“Las Vegas!”, Dexter threw her arms into the air. “I bet you’ve never been there.”

“You’ve known.”

She nodded and joined Serena and Aubrey, discussing about the places. I leaned onto the couch and sighed. My mind flew back to my parents. I know they wanted me to be safe, but I’m 18 for God’s sake, I could take care of myself.

“What do you think about New Orleans?”, Alex asked me, with his arms wrapped around my shoulders.

“I think I don’t wanna go there. I’m scared, and guilty.”

“Guilty? For what?”

“Alex, I’ve been there, and seeing the part of the city that got washed away by Katrina, was awful. I felt guilty by breathing and living.”

He looked down to his hands and kept quiet for a moment. “Sorry.”, he muttered.

“It’s okay.”, I smiled. “I would go anywhere, except New Orleans, kay?”

“Even to Texas?”, Jack asked curiously.

“What’s up with Texas?”

“I don’t know. It smells like horse shit there.”, Jack shrugged and walked away to the fridge.

“DONE!”, Aubrey spread the map on my lap. “Look, Katy, we’ll be going to Disney World, then maybe the whole south, and Nevada, then we’re there!”

“We’ll be doing all of this?”

They nodded in unison. “Yeah. Alex wanted to show you the country.”

I looked over to Alex and narrowed my eyes. “Really?”

“Yup.”, he nodded. “You gotta live life before college, right?”

“And you got the right people.”, Serena gave Aubrey and Dexter a high five.