Status: Some updates may take a few days due to other work commitments =[ but I shall try hard to keep it flowing! =]

Problem Child

School Starts

I woke up the next morning still reeling from the night before. As I sat at my desk in front of a mirror I applied my eyeliner and mascara. I stopped suddenly on noticing the red mark on the right side of my neck. I touched it softly and began to worry about Grace or Jonathan noticing it. I looked around my room and spied a scarf hanging on the closet door. I walked over to retreive it and wrapped it around my neck to cover the hicky. There was a knock at the door. My heart stopped as my mind began to replay last night's terrifying events.

"Summer? Are you up?" Grace asked from the other side of the door. My heart began to beat normally again.

"Y...yeah." I stammered. She opened the door and greeted me with a smile.

"Hey." She said.

"Hi." I said blankly.

"So did you behave yourselves while we were out last night?" She asked jokingly. I tried to force a laugh but I only managed a half-hearted smile. "I was going to say goodnight to you after we got in but Billie Joe told us that you were already asleep." She said. I knew there would be more lies. I nodded my head. Grace frowned at me. "Summer why are you wearing that scarf indoors?" She asked looking puzzled. As far as Grace was concerned a scarf only served one purpose and that was to keep you warm. I guess she didn't really do fashion accessories.

"I just like it that's all." I replied straightening out the black and silver starred scarf. She rolled her eyes.

"Alright. Anyway we need to go shopping for school stuff today. Billie Joe hasn't got a thing and you're starting back in a week's time." She reminded me. School with Billie Joe...I wonder how THAT was guna work. The three of us left the house to go to the mall. Billie kept looking at me in the car on the way making me feel nervous again. Once we'd arrived we headed off to buy stationary and other essentials. "Now Summer, you'll have to stick close to Billie Joe on the first day so you can show him around." Grace said picking up a pack of pens. Billie and I looked at each other and he smiled that sickly smile.

"It's just school it's not rocket science trying to figure out where everything is." I muttered. Grace frowned.

"Yeah Summer's right...but on my first day I'm guna need a tour guide. I can't think of anybody better for the job." He smiled putting an arm around me. Grace smiled warmly at seeing the two of us looking so 'friendly'.

"Well there you are then!" She beamed. I rolled my eyes. I wanted to shake his arm off of me, I couldn't bare it.

"Besides, we'll be spending plently of time together seeing as we're in most of the same classes." He pointed out. At this point I'd had enough and walked off abruptly leaving Grace looking a little worried. I could see Billie telling her something as I left them. More lies no doubt. Sure enough the first day of school arrived. I felt slightly better because I knew I'd be seeing my friends. I hadn't even had chance to tell them about Billie seeing as they'd all been on vacation practically all summer. I had to tell SOMEONE, it was killing me. Grace gave us a ride to school on her way to work. I usually arrived with her and then took the bus back home with my friends. I'd passed my driving test and everything I just didn't have a car yet. And on the wages I earned from my part-time supermarket job it seemed like I would be waiting a while before actually buying one.

"Okay kids, have a great day." Grace said as we got out of the car. "And remember to stick together!" She called as we both walked off. I rolled my eyes. It was like the very first day of school all over again.

"Oh we will!" Billie Joe called back to Grace. 'That's what YOU think' I thought to myself as I hurried away from him. I caught sight of a familiar face in the distance. My best friend Jen was stood underneath the tree reading a book. She was a model student, so clever and kind. She could be a bit geeky at times but we all loved her for it. I stole answers off her often.

"Summer!!" She cried on seeing me. I waved and smiled. I looked back momentarily to see how close Billie was and thankfully he was trailing behind at a considerable distance. Jen wore her brown hair long preserving its natural curl. It fell down just above her trim waist and if it was straightened it would have reached even further. She wasn't what I'd call 'stylish'. She was more natural, casual I guess was the perfect word to describe her. I hurried over to her and she embraced me in a tight hug which made me gasp. "I've missed you!" She exclaimed making me laugh.

"Gay." I joked. She chuckled before letting me go.

"Hey, do you know that guy?" She asked pointing at Billie Joe who was making his way over.

"Uhm yeah...it's kind of a long story but, bascially he's my sort of foster brother." I explained looking at the floor. Jen's eyes widened in suprise.

"Brother?! As in like a long LOST brother??" She beamed hoping it would be true. For an intelligent girl she really could be stupid at times. No common sense, that was her trouble.

"No dumbass! FOSTER brother. As in a boy Grace and Jonathan are fostering." I said correcting her. Her expression faded to normal again. At this point Billie Joe had reached us and was stood right behind me.

"But why do they want to foster him when they've already got you?" She whispered as she lowered her head on seeing how close he now was.

"Because he's just so damn cute." Billie Joe whispered back mocking her. Jen blushed as he shot her his prize winning, butter- wouldn't-melt smile. "Hey, Billie Joe, good to meet ya." He said holding out his hand and completely ignoring me. Jen hesitated for a moment. She was always admitting to me how she didn't know how to talk to boys, and how she always got nervous when given attention.

"Uhm, hi. I'm Jen, Jen Walker." She said taking his hand and shaking it meekly. I just stood there baffled and frowning.

"Well hello Jen Walker." He said making her giggle. I rolled my eyes and grabbed Jen's arm.

"ANYWAYS, c'mon Jen we're gonna be late for class, and I know how you don't like to be late." I said hurrying her away. She began to walk with me but looked confused.

"It was...nice to meet you!" She called back to him. Billie Joe smiled and waved. "Summer, what the hell?" She asked as we entered the school via the front entrance.

"I'll explain everything later but in the meantime, stay AWAY from Billie Joe." I warned her. She frowned but didn't ask any questions. To her I was just a big drama queen. Okay I'll admit it, there were times when I would stretch the truth slightly but only out of jest! I would NEVER have joked about something as sinister as what was going on between Billie and I. But I really needed to be alone with Jen before I told her anything. You know how schools are...everybody talks. We arrived at our first class of the day which happened to be Maths, a subject I naturally detested. I hadn't even thought about how Billie was guna find his way to HIS class, and of course I didn't care. The less I saw of him the better. We took our seats in the middle of the class as other students began to take theirs. We said 'hi' to a few people we knew. I wasn't exactly 'Miss Popular' but I got along with most people, at least those who didn't think I was invisible.

"So what's the story with Billie Joe? I have a feeling I've missed A LOT over the summer vacation." Jen said getting out her books.

"We'll talk later, I can't discuss it now." I whispered making sure nobody heard me. She shrugged her shoulders at the same time as the teacher walked in. Mr Macey, oh how I loathed the man. Old guy, smelt funny, wife left him a few months ago therefore takes it out on just about everybody, what's not to like? He started on about exams and what this year would entail as if we didn't already know. Boredom, pointless equations followed closely by more boredom, exams and then finally death as I force Jen to jam a compass into my head just to escape the witterings of a old, drunken divorcee on the brink of a mental break down! Really, I couldn't wait...

After 10 mintues of Mr Macey rammbling on about Pythagoras' Theorum, the classroom door opened and in strolled none other than Billie Joe. The teacher stopped abruptly to see who had interupted him.

"Sorry I'm late, got lost. I'm new y'know." Billie Joe said jovially. A few people in class sniggered and began to whisper to each other.

"Just sit down, I'm not in the mood for jokes Mr Wise Guy." Macey snapped. Billie Joe made his way to the empty desk at the back of the class. A few people watched him whereas I continued to scribble into my notebook. Jen nudged me.

"We probably should have waited for him seeing as had the same class." She whispered as the teacher began to talk again. I frowned at my friend and then shook my head. "Summer seriously, what's your problem?" She persisted. Macey looked at the two of us seeming displeased.

"Jennifer Walker will you be quiet." He said sturnly. The class 'ooh-ed' like they did everytime somebody was told off in class. This time it sounded more genuine as Jen was NEVER the one to be told off. I saw her turn an embarressed shade of pink as she slumped back into her seat feeling utterly humiliated.

"Sorry Sir." She replied quietly. I went back to doodling. Class ended, although for a moment I thought it never would, so I dragged Jen out of the room as quick as humanly possible so as to avoid HIM. "Summer, will you stop doing that?!" She cried trying to struggle free. "You're acting like a maniac!" She pointed out.

"Just listen to me okay?" I said as we made our way towards the lockers. "Billie Joe is bad news. HE'S the maniac and therefore the one you should avoid." I said issuing my friend with some sound advice.

"What do you mean 'bad news'? She asked intently putting her books away carefully. I lent against my locker.

"Well he's...coming this way." I said trailing off. Jen spun around and saw Billie making his way over to us once again.

"Well you guys were in a hurry." He said looking at me and then at Jen. I looked away.

"Uhm yeah...Summer's in a weird mood." Jen said. I widened my eyes at her and she giggled. She really had no idea how not funny this was.

"So what's new?" He joked. Jen laughed nervously. It was so obvious that she thought he was cute. "Anyways, Mr Macey said that he wanted to see you." Billie said to me.

"What?" I frowned.

"Hey I'm just the messenger, but you better go now 'coz he doesn't seem that easy going." Billie smirked. I stood there confused for a moment while both he and Jen looked at me.

"Ok uhm, well I'll be back in a sec." I said to Jen who fidgeted with her hair. I walked away, occasionally looking back at the two of them. 'What the hell did Macey want?' I wondered. If he'd have wanted to see me then surely he would have said something while I was still in class.

::: General POV :::

Billie Joe lent against the lockers in front of Jen who played nervously with her hair. He didn't really say much so Jen started.

"So uhm, do you and Summer get along?" She asked studying his yellowy, blonde hair.

"Why do you ask that?" He said innocently. Jen shrugged.

"Well...it's just that Summer seems to think that you're 'bad news'." She informed him trying to remain light-hearted. He frowned back at her.

"Really? Oh well...I think I know why." He said rubbing his neck.

"How come?" Jen asked getting interested.

"Uhm, it's kinda awkward to explain to her best friend." He said leaning in towards her slightly. She blushed again and tried to distance herself a little bit.

"No, it's okay. You can tell me." She said deciding she wanted to hear it.

"Okay well...when I first moved in with her and her family...she kind of made a pass at me." He started. Jen's eyes widened. "But I knocked her back and since then she's been kinda weird with me. She's got it into her head that I'm 'out to get her' or something." He lied. Jen believed every word. She looked at him completely speechless. "See, this is why I shouldn't have told you only...I figured that maybe you could talk to her, get her to see that I'm really a nice guy who just wants to be her friend." He said.

"Well that's a great idea but...I don't really know you." She admitted. He smiled at her.

"Yeah I guess you're right. I think the reason I thought that was because you just seem like someone who's a good judge of character. I could tell that just from looking at you." He said eyeing her up and down. Jen felt flustered.

"I uhm...I guess." She said smiling back at him.

"Perhaps if we spent a bit more time together and you got to know me, then you'd know for SURE." He said suggestively.

"Yeah, that's a good plan." She replied bashfully.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nooo, bad Billie, stay away from Jen! =] Comments appreciated as always! =]