‹ Prequel: Can You Hear Me?
Status: Working on it :)

Can You Believe In Me?

I Don’t Like Doctors or Needles

It took days for me to get out of bed with Mason we left only for food consisting in Chinese and pizza, bathroom (for me often), or drinks. That’s it, the bed was my home for that time. I didn’t even get out of it for my birthday. Everyone tried to get me out not one succeeded. Now it was nearing Christmas and Mason and I where getting ready for the trip down to Texas coming. When we would tell them about their coming grandchild. We wanted to know more about it so I called the doctor and made an appointment. Even if I didn’t like doctors. We wanted to tell them something about the baby. I wanted to know exactly how far in I am. It’s not like we are seeing a doctor, doctor. Just a baby specialist. So off we went in to the car. We had the radio off and I was in the passenger seat eating chocolate.
“I’m not allowed to sing.” Mason muttered.
“Why?” I asked turning slightly towards him.
“They think it will mess up the surgery they did. I think I should sing. I love singing.” He voiced turning down another road.
“I don’t care if you can talk or not it doesn’t matter. What matters to me is that you’re happy.” He let out a tiny smile.
“I’m happy when you’re happy.” I rolled my eyes and popped another chocolate in my mouth. Mason turned into a parking lot and parked. “Here we are.” He got out and walked over to my side and pulled the door open all the way before I could. He helped me out. “I just want you to be around.” I sighed at him.
“Does it look like I’m going away without you?” I questioned taking a few steps. “I don’t think I could do this alone, Mason. I’m not even sure we can do this alone.”
“We will, together. We’ll make it. All three of us.” I felt a twinge in my belly, flipping. They were like butterflies, but it wasn’t. It was the baby. I took Mason’s hand and put it on my stomach. He acted confused. “I don’t feel anything.”
“I felt something, moving. It was the baby.” I protested.
“Maybe it doesn’t like me already. I’m a terrible father already!” I slapped Mason’s arm.
“You are not, shut your face.” He shut his mouth and took my hand. We walked through the front door of the local baby doctor. Mason led me to the desk. The receptionist opened the window.
“Musso, we have an appointment.” Mason spoke to the woman who started shuffling papers. She put a few on a clipboard.
“Jessica, right?” She asked me. I nodded at her and Mason took the clipboard in his hand. I moved to sit in a chair on the other side of the room. He sat next to me and looked at the sheets and started filing the easy parts out. Parts like my full name, birth date, address, his full name, his birth date, and as many things he could think of . When he found one he couldn’t answer about me. he asked. I answered sometimes if I knew what they meant. I usually refrained from anything that revolved around the words doctor, medicine, needle, surgery, or blood. All of above could come out of this, doctor equals delivery of healthy baby, medicine equals less pain, needle equals much less pain, surgery means problems, and blood equals more doctors and more surgery. Soon the paper was almost done. Mason looked up at me from the papers.
“This one would be a big decision for both us and the baby.” He explained getting me even more confused. My tummy did that butterfly trick again. He pointed at the paper and then read it to me aloud. “Would you prefer a Hospital birth or a home birth with a midwife? Meaning do you want a doctor in a hospital to deliver the baby with medicine and pain killers or a midwife at home with comfort of familiar surroundings natural birth?” I weighed my options quickly.
“I’m pretty sure I want a home birth. I don’t like doctors or needles.” I answered and explained patting Mason’s arm. He smiled flawlessly and then took the papers back to the receptionist. Just before he got back I rushed off to the restroom to pee. When I returned he was waiting for me standing with a older woman with long gray hair braided down her back. She was smiling at the conversation her and Mason where having.
“So it was all a big surprise?” She asked Mason as I was getting in hearing range. He nodded.
“Yes, it was. I was really excited when she told me.” He chuckled as I got to them. “Jessica, good you’re back!”
“Mrs. Musso,” I blushed at the name. “I’m Dr. Tonya Davis, Midwife.”
“I’m Jessica Musso, Assistant Manager of Katie’s Bar and Live Music Venue. Nice to meet you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long, major writers block.
<3 Kelsey