‹ Prequel: Can You Hear Me?
Status: Working on it :)

Can You Believe In Me?

The Road Ahead For a Manatee

I woke up two days after Christmas to my phone ringing. Normally I would disregard it, but it wouldn’t stop ringing. So I sighed and reached for it answering the noisy thing. It was the doctor.
“Hello.” I yawned. Mason sat up and leaned against my back with his head on my shoulder.
“Mrs. Musso, I’m sorry to call so early, but your tests have come back and we have some exciting yet troubling news for you and your husband. I’d like it if you came in soon.” Well that’s not good or whatever that’s sort of confusing.
“Okay? I guess we will see you soon.” I hung up all perplexed at that phone call. Mason kissed my neck.
“Babe what’s wrong?” He asked.
“That was the doctor. She said she needed to talk to us about something that came up in the tests they ran.” He climbed out of bed. I looked at him funny.
“If there’s a problem I don’t want to wait. I couldn’t stand losing you or our baby, Jess.” Slowly and uncomfortably I rose out of bed. We got around and walked out the door. His parents had just started breakfast. I sort of wanted to stay. They saw us with our bags and looked at us with questions in their mind. Mason explained that the doctor had called and said something was up. They gave us both hugs, wishing us luck, and telling us to call and give them updates. We flew out less then an hour later.

Tanya met us at the door to the office and led us back to a room. I sat on the table Mason kept my hand in his. She patted my arm.
“This news under normal circumstances would be extremely good news, but I’m afraid that this is complicated due to your physical stature.” Oh she means I am short. Tell me something I don’t know.
“What’s the good news?” Mason asked leaning forward slightly.
“When we took a second look at the ultrasound pictures we noticed something we didn’t when you were here.” Mason cut in.
“What did you miss?” Tanya laughed a short sweet little laugh.
“A second fetus. Your having twins.” I smiled, two babies! Then I remembered the bad news of this good news, bad news visit. That’s when I frowned. “Jessica, you are small. That wouldn’t be a huge issue if you had wider hips. You are going to have to be extremely careful. I don’t want you exerting yourself to much. You are going to have to go on bed rest in a few weeks. Your little body can have issues with all the extra weight. And as for birth, this one is out of my hands, you are going to have to have a c-section. Your pelvis wouldn’t be able to withstand all the pressure of two vaginal births. Do you understand what I’m talking about?” I nodded. I’d be in the hospital. With doctors and needles. I’d be cut open and my babies would be taken out. I guess that’s another reason why I suck. I looked at Mason.
“Mace. Do you think we can at least know if they are boys or girls or boy and girl? I don’t want to have surprises when there will be two to prepare for.”
“Of course anything you want. Can you tell us that?” He switched to talking to the doctor.
“Yes, I can.” She shuffled some papers and read a few lines. Did a drum roll on the counter. “Two baby girls.” I smiled at Mason and he back at me. We would get on. This difficult road won’t turn us back. Hell, the manatee can’t exercise how are we going to do this?
♠ ♠ ♠
<3 Kelsey