Status: Complete!

The Weirdest Girl in School.

don't be afraid to show your true colours.

She was the weirdest kid in school, said the rumor. Those words, weirdest kid in school, was timeless. Would last countless years after our generation was dead and gone, and the stories of our own weirdest girl in school, would be gone, forgotten, and dead.

The weirdest girl in school spent time with the Black people, the Negroes, the African Americans. The drop outs, the druggies, the hippies. Not all of them were black people, of course. That’s who she hung out with: the African Americans, and the outcasts.

She had normal hair, she wore it in the normal style, and had normal clothes. She didn’t have frizzy hair, she didn’t wear glasses. She had contacts, but she didn’t have glasses. No braces, not fat, not skinny, she’s blonde, normal nose, relatively clear skin, blue eyes. She was royal blood, but she was still that weird girl.

I went along with the crowd. Called her weird, let her sit alone when everyone went into groups, wouldn’t look at her. Laughed at her when everyone else laughed at her. We didn’t care for the girl just because she wasn’t popular. Because she was the weirdest girl in school.

I didn’t think she ever deserved the award of being weird, it was just given to her by an overwhelming consensus. There were three others, contenders for the award, but I don’t know who they were. They’ve all migrated to different schools by now, most likely. The weirdest girl in school can handle it, but the runner ups couldn’t.

She hates music, also. Despises it, and covers her ears with her palms when the intercom plays it on special occasions. She’s never been too a concert, ever, and thinks idiots who claim music is their life has never met air, blood, and oxygen.

I’d have to agree.

Other than that, she isn’t really unique. She isn’t a movie buff, her name isn’t exotic, she isn’t friends with all guys, she doesn’t like reading, she doesn’t dye her hair, she does give a flying monkey about her parents, she’s all around a good Samaritan. I guess she just defies all stereotypes.

She’s “half Christian”, no boyfriend, she has both parents – mommy and daddy, never kissed a girl, doesn’t cut herself, isn’t depressed. She laughs a lot.

Take that, typical teen stereotype. Shove it.

There’s not a whole lot you can say about the weirdest girl in school, except she’s weird. It’s just a feeling we get, she isn’t an Art-y kind of girl, doesn’t do drama, choir, and isn’t on a backburner sport team. There’s no factual against her title. It’s just hers to cherish, for no reason.

She was just one freckle on the nose beside millions. There’s nothing spectacular about her, we’ve given a name to every other girl and every other boy on the nose that is different than the rest of us.

She’s kind of like our own Dolphus Raymond. Everyone else has a Boo Radley (we do too), but the weirdest girl in school was Dolphus.

No one’s mean to her. She kind of floats between us and we don’t notice until her back is in front of us. Sometimes we forget to call her the weirdest girl in the school, and we just acknowledge her like every other nobody.

Yesterday, no one said a word to her when she walked into the school, no one looked at her when she walked into the classroom, no one acknowledged her when she walked in front of us, no one called her the weirdest girl in the school, yesterday.

Today, this new girl came. She has pink hair, with blonde streaks. Her parents are lesbians, her brother killed himself, she loves art and drama. She wears flighty dresses and she has a lot of bracelets, hemp and otherwise. She dyes her hair a lot, and doesn’t get along with her moms.

I feel like the former weirdest girl in school got her title unjustly ripped away from her and given to a less deserving donor. She accepted it with a benign resilience, and dances through the school, confident in her strides, and not caring what anyone thinks of her. She’s the weirdest girl in school.
♠ ♠ ♠
don't be afraid to show your true colours : Cyndi Lauper song, True Colours.
Dolphus Raymond : a character in 'To Kill A Mockingbird' that's a "drunk", hangs around the African Americans only (which is just unacceptable, in that period of time).
Boo Radley : a character in 'To Kill A Mockingbird' that never leaves his house.