Status: Revamping! :D

Above the Clouds and Under the Mistletoe

The Christmas Party

I stepped into my friend Angelique’s house and rolled my eyes at the cheesy Christmas music she had playing. I glanced around her living room; there was about twenty or so of us getting together on the last day before winter break.

“Hey, hey!” Angelique hollered at me while passing through a couple of people. “Care for some champagne?” She said holding out a champagne glass filled with a bubbling liquid.

“You mean apple cider?” I said jokingly.

“Ssh!” She hissed, “I actually think I tricked some people into believing that it’s really champagne!”

I raised my eyebrows, “I’m sorry to say this Angel, but everyone here knows that you wouldn’t serve them alcohol. Especially in your house with your parents upstairs...” I began to snicker, “Except maybe Bernie.”

She choked on a swallow of her cider and gave me the evil eye. “Well thanks for pointing that out Holly.”

I couldn’t help but laugh a little. “Oh come on! Like you don’t know he follows you around like a lost puppy.” I glanced around, and sure enough Bernie was leaning on the mantel trying to make conversation; between every word he would glance over at Angel. “Well besides the stalker-ness he is pretty good looking... and God knows how much you want some testosterone.”

“Psh!” She flicked her hand at me. “Like you’re one to talk about needing testosterone. You still haven’t been kissed yet.”

“Angelique! Really?” I said looking around to make sure no one heard. “You know why I haven’t been kissed.”

She looked concerned and pulled me over into the archway of her kitchen where we could be slightly more alone. “Holly, you know that you can’t keep pretending that he’s really gonna come back for you. He moved away ten years ago. You were six, you didn’t mean it.”

I shrugged her hand off my shoulder. “You know New York plane tickets are pretty cheap.”

Angelique made me look at her and looked at me curiously. “Holly you didn’t buy tickets, did you?” I just looked at my feet. “Holly! Do you know how many Jacks there are in New York? You would never be able to find him!”

“No, I’m just flying to my parents’ for the holidays. You knew that.” I looked back up at her. “Besides If we’re supposed to find each other, we will.”

“But what if it’s not supposed to happen Holly?” She saw the hurt in my eyes and looked up. “Well look at that, we’re under the mistletoe.”

I looked at her sarcastically. She pecked me on the cheek, leaving a bright red lipstick stain. “Well, I hope you have a Christmas miracle Holly-wolly.” Then she stiffened suddenly when she looked over my shoulder.

“Hi there Angelique.” It was Bernie.

I turned around and glanced between the two of them. “Oh hey Bernie.” I knew Angel realized that if he looked up they would technically be under the mistletoe. Suddenly the music changed to a techno version of the song Last Christmas. It seem to spark Bernie’s interest.

“You wanna dance?” He asked walking away from us towards the living room.

Angel looked relieved. “You know I think I’m just gonna hang here.”

“Okay I will too.” He took two steps closer to the mistletoe and it bothered Angel way too much.

“On second thought, let’s dance Bernie.” Bernie looked so happy and surprised that I nearly burst with laughter. The difference in their expressions was priceless.

“Have fun you two!” I said as they walked into the living room. Angel looked like she might be sick. But I stayed there, waiting under the mistletoe for my old friend Jack.

“…Last Christmas, I gave you my heart…this year to save me from tears, I’ll give it to someone special…”

~~ ♥ ~~
♠ ♠ ♠
Part 1 of 3

I'm doing small edits and an additional third chapter to this story because I'm in the Christmas spirit early!

-Lennie