Status: Revamping! :D

Above the Clouds and Under the Mistletoe

The Flight

I sat nervously in the airport. Angelique knew me too well. Of course I’d been thinking about seeing Jack. And a part of me was curious; did he remember me? Did he remember his promise?
I remembered as clear as day. His parents were throwing a Christmas party and Jack and I were best friends. Jack’s parents didn’t tell the two of us that he would be moving the next day, and didn’t give us the details of our location. However our parents weren’t as close as us, they were merely acquaintances. So all I was able to find out from my parents is that they moved to New York. So that night, me and Jack played like normal until we noticed the mistletoe…
“Why is there a little berry bush on your ceiling?” I had asked him.
“That’s mistletoe. When a boy and girl are underneath it they have to kiss each other.” He said matter-of-factly.
“Do I have to kiss you then?”
“Ew! No, just grown-ups do.” He said and we laughed at the ridiculous idea of kissing. “But when we’re grown-ups, then I’ll kiss you under the mistletoe. Promise.” He stuck his pinky finger out and smiled. I linked mine with his.
“Promise.”
But we had lost touch, ten Christmases ago. And here I am now, still haven’t been kissed, 16 years old, debating on whether or not I should find my long lost lover. How silly of me.
“Flight 47 from Salem, Oregon to New York City, New York is now boarding.” The intercom said. Reluctantly I got up and pulled my suitcase along beside me. I could tell my parents that the flight got canceled or that my grandmother needed me to stay and help her get some decorations up.
I lived with my grandmother in Salem when my parents were both transferred to travel along the northeast area of the U.S. They had a permanent home in New York though, but I had decided to stay in Salem instead of having to travel around while they worked. I actually have no idea what their actual job description is, they never want to talk about their job when I’m with them, just what I’m doing.
I wound my way up the tunnel heading to the airplane. I was the first person on and was extremely anxious about what to do when the plane landed. I was happy when I sat down though. I had a window seat and the rows were only two people next to each other instead of squishing three people into one row. I just hoped I wouldn’t sit next to a smelly or loud person.
I put my headphones in my ear and ignored all the people coming in and watched the clouds moving outside. It would snow soon. Just as that thought passed my mind, my body shivered and I wished I had brought a jacket.
“You cold?” I heard faintly past my music. I pulled my headphones out and looked at the person speaking to me. It was a boy about my age, very cute with black hair in his eyes. He was shrugging off his red hoodie, revealing a lean body that was flattered by the purple t-shirt he was wearing. He smiled and held the jacket out to me.
“Uhm thanks.” I said taking it politely. I felt my heart flutter when he put his carry-on in the compartment above my chair. He was possibly the best candidate to be sitting in the seat next to me. I pulled his jacket over me like a blanket as he slid into the seat beside me. He glanced at my face and smiled kindly.
“I’m Holly.” I said quietly, while looking into his delighted and enticing green eyes.
“Most people call me J.C., but you can call me whatever you want,” he said smiling, “J-man, the J-mister, D.J. C.”
I laughed at his cleverness. “I think I’ll stick with J.C.” Wow, this is going to be one great trip. How long is it supposed to be? 8 hours? 10? Can you say heaven?
“So Holly, have you been to New York before?” I shook my head no, “Oh so you’re gonna go make it big right? Fashion designer? Dancer? Singer?” He asked smirking.
“No, I’m just visting my parents’ for the holidays.” He looked at me questioningly, like wondering what I was thinking.
“I’m going back home. I came out here to work for a local artist.” He held up a sketchpad. “I like to draw.”
“Wow, really?” I said interested.
And our conversation continued, we barely even realized when the plane was taking off. He was incredible. We immediately clicked. We talked about practically everything to talk about, there was never a dull moment. It was like we were alone together, floating amongst the clouds.
When they started the in-flight movie I was exhausted. I have no idea how long I had fallen asleep, but we only had a few minutes before landing. I awoke puzzled and noticed J.C. was drawing.
“Hi sleeping beauty.” He said glancing up to scrutinize my nose. I quickly covered it with my hand and he laughed.
“What did you do with my nose?”
“This.” He turned his sketch pad towards me, and it was me sleeping on the plane. I looked beautiful and the drawing practically looked real.
“Wow. You’re amazing.” I breathed.
“You are too.” He said somewhat pleased and also somewhat sad.
“Attention passengers, we are about to make our descent to New York City. Please fasten your seatbelts, and thank you for flying with us.” I sighed while looking out the window at the landscape.
“Beautiful.” He whispered.
“It is isn’t it?” The sun was setting on the skyscrapers and it all looked serene.
“I was talking about you.” He said flushing.
“That’s so sweet.” I said with butterflies fluttering in my stomach.
“Do you think I could get your phone number?” He asked nervously pulling out his phone.
“Of course.” I told him mine and he plugged his number into mine as well.
“Promise to actually text me?” He said, sticking out his pinky finger. I looked at his finger and felt somewhat guilty. I was probably betraying Jack by doing this. I guess I should move on I thought sadly while wrapping my pinky around his. “What’s wrong?” He said quietly.
“Nothing. Just a memory.” He looked at me puzzlingly and shook his head. The flight attendant told us we were landing and I realized I may never see Jack or J.C. ever again which was extremely heart breaking.
As soon as we were allowed to get our things he hopped up and grabbed his bag quickly. “Gotta beat the rush.” He said with a wink. “I’ve missed you Holly.” He slid me the drawing of myself and walked away.
Wait he had missed me? Not will miss me? I picked up the drawing and noticed his signature at the bottom, Jack Christopher.
Jack! It was Jack! I called out his name but he was already off the plane. Quickly, I grabbed my things and pushed through the crowd, ignoring the shouts of angry passengers.
I ran down the tunnel toward the airport and saw him just leaving into the waiting area. “Jack! Jack!” I called frantically. He turned around surprised and watched me run towards him. “Is it really you?” I said out of breath. He nodded solemnly. “I didn’t recognize you with all that hair in your eyes.” He smiled slightly. “What’s wrong”
“Well I know this might sound stupid, but do you remember that promise we made under the mistletoe?” He fidgeted with his hands. “Well I kept my promise. I know it sounds ridiculous and you’ve probably had several boyfriends with your good looks.”
I felt a warmth spread across every inch of skin. “Jack.” I said simply and hugged him close, we fit together so perfectly. “I kept my promise too. Angelique told me that I was silly, but I knew you had kept it.”
I looked up at his face and couldn’t believe how whole I felt. Then I noticed a bit of green on the ceiling above his head.
Mistletoe.
He looked up too and smiled at me. I knew that this would be a Christmas I would never forget as I received my first kiss under the mistletoe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part 2 of 3

Editing bits and pieces and adding a third chapter because I'm in the Christmas spirit!

-Lennie