I Don't Care About the Presents

Holding On To Me So Tight

The dinner that they had all eaten had been a raucous affair. Recounted stories of Christmas’ past were told and laughter filled the air. They settled in the front room where the glow of the Christmas tree was shining on the walls making the atmosphere filled with hues of red, green, and blue. Kevin Sr. turned on the sound system and put in a mixture of Christmas CDs and let the sound set in the background as everyone mingled.

Nicole stood by the Christmas tree alone, a small smile playing across her lips. Nick looked up from the conversation he was having with his father and Spencer to watch her. He couldn’t help but smile as she circled the tree, touching an ornament every once in awhile. He saw her stop, stare, and then reach up and touch the nutcracker. His nutcracker.

“Excuse me,” he said, standing up and slowly walking towards the tree. He leaned up against the doorway between the living room, where the tree was, and the kitchen. “Like it?” he asked.

“Very much. I collect nutcrackers. I get a new one every Christmas.” She said, turning to smile at him.

“So you were scoping out mine? Planning on stealing it?” he asked with a smirk.

“Oh that one’s yours? The letters N-I-C-K on the bottom didn’t tip me off at all.”

“Okay, okay, that was a dumb question I realized after I said it. But you didn’t deny the plan to steal it.”

“You know I would never steal it. I was admiring the color.” She said, slowly walking closer to him.

“Red? You were admiring the color red?” he asked as she continued to walk closer, his heart beating faster.

“Yes, I was as a matter of fact. Got a problem with that?” she asked stepping even closer. They were less than a foot apart from each other.

“Not at all.” He whispered, his warm breath lingering on her lips.

They stared into each other’s eyes. Nick licked his lips as Nicole’s eyes darted back and forth across his face. Nick clenched his hand which felt cold and clammy.

“Hey!” Joe shouted, causing Nick and Nicole to turn their heads. “You two are under the mistletoe!”

Everyone’s heads turned towards the two young teenagers and Nicole’s cheeks turned pink. Everyone smiled as both Nick and Nicole looked down at their feet. Kevin stood behind Danielle, wrapping his arms around her waist. Joe pulled Steph onto his lap. Both Nick’s and Nicole’s parents smiled as they stood around.

“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” Frankie and Jessica shouted.

“So… I guess we should…” Nick said.

“Yeah… tradition and all…” Nicole added.

“Ok…” he said. He reached out, wrapping his arms around her waist. She placed her hand on his shoulders.

Slowly their heads inched towards each other. Their breaths mixed together and their hearts raced. Her lips tingled as his touched hers. She tangled her fingers in the curls at the base of his neck and slowly he pulled away. Her eyes opened to find his staring into hers.

“Wow,” she breathed out.

“Yeah.” he said breathlessly. It was silent as they continued to stare at each other.

“Well it’s about time.” Joe said, slowly clapping his hands together.

“Joseph,” Denise said, giving him a warning. Even though he was all grown up, he was still her son.

“Sorry. Well, I think that was a great opening.”

“What for?” Frankie asked.

“Present time!”

“I agree.” Kevin Sr. said, walking over to the tree.

Everyone stood up to grab the one present they felt they should open that night. Stephanie grabbed a large present wrapped in blue from Joe. His eyes widened when he saw and he took it from her.

“Joe!” she exclaimed.

“Not that one.” He said, setting it down.

“Why not?”

“Because I have something else I really want you to open tonight.” He said, taking her hand in his. They joined the circle that everyone had formed. The tradition was to go around in the circle and have everyone go separately. “Frankie why don’t you go first?”

“Okay!” Frankie said excitedly.

“Does that mean I have to go last?” Steph whispered in Joe’s ear as Frankie excitedly opened his present.

“Oh. I guess it does.” He said with a smirk.

Steph waited anxiously as everyone opened their presents. She felt like time was going by so slowly. She was curious to know what Joe got her. He kept his arm around her the entire time, gently stroking his fingers up and down her arm. Every once in awhile he would lean over and kiss her forehead. Finally, after he opened his present it was her turn. She sat up and smiled placing her hands in her lap.

“Okay, where’s my present?” she asked. Joe cleared his throat and scratched the back of his head.

“Can you uh, stand up?” he asked.

“What?”

“Just… stand up. Please?”

“Okay…” she said slowly standing up and looking around at Joe’s family. Joe slid off of the couch onto the floor and got on one knee. Stephanie gasped and brought a hand to her mouth. He put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box opening it up revealing the diamond ring inside.

“Joe,” she whispered.

“Steph… you laugh at me, you tease me, and you hit me occasionally. I know I’m a total doofus but… you make me feel like sometimes I could be better. Better for you. So I want to try that. I want to try that for the rest of my life. Steph… would you be my wife?”

“Of course…” she whispered, giving him a smile. He stood up and placed the ring on her finger and she watched it glisten in the light for a moment before he placed his lips on hers. Everyone applauded and Steph smiled as they pulled away. “Because… you know… what would you ever do without me?”

“Nice one!” Kevin said as everyone laughed.

“Yeah, yeah, laugh it up. None of you are invited to the wedding.” Joe joked as he sat down, never losing contact with Steph.

“This is turning into quite an eventful evening.” Denise said with a smile.

“Well…” Danielle said, and every head turned to her. “It might get just a tad more eventful.”

“Babe… what’s going on?” Kevin asked, his eyebrows knitting together.

“Well… I have some news to share with everyone.” She said, looking around. “I’m… pregnant.”

“What?” Kevin asked, jumping up off of the couch.

“Dani that’s great!” Nick said, giving her a hug.

“How long have you known?” Steph asked, leaving Joe’s grasp of her hand to hug Danielle.

“About two months.”

“Dani this is… I can’t believe… What are… I’m going to be a father!” Kevin finally got out, embracing his wife.

Everyone came over and hugged one another. Laughter and chatter filled the air. Outside the lights of the decorations of all the neighbors shone brightly. All everyone needed for Christmas that year… was each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo-hoo! Part 3! The end.

I'm officially DONE with the semester! I go home in the morning and I just couldn't wait until tomorrow night to post this so here I am... doing it at 11:30 at night... though most likely no one will be able to read it until tomorrow afternoon since most of you probably have school. Haha... oh well.

Comments??

~Steph <3