From Beginning to End

Dinner Plans

Jason's lips were shut tightly, and his eyes fixed on the road ahead. He tried to ignore the words Minnie kept speaking about how they had met, and how he had been extremely romantic on their very first date, but every now and then Jason would lose concentration and a few of her words would slip passed the mental barrier he had created, and a dull aching pain would fester in his heart.

'This sure is going to be a long Holiday..' He thought grudgingly.

Finally after what seemed like forever, they arrived at Minnie's house. With her hand still wrapped around Adam's arm, she scrambled out of the car, barley managing to grab her suitcase before she exited the car. Hurriedly she slammed the car door shut, waved to Jason, and ran up her porch steps, dragging Adam behind her.

Jason felt a tingling sensation in his nose, and soon found himself tearing up a little. Before anyone could notice, he put the car in drive, and sped off, hoping no one saw the tears building up in his eyes.

As he drove home, Jason kept playing the image of Minnie - His Minnie - riding down the escalator in someone else's arms. Now he couldn't keep the tears from falling onto his cheeks, and into his lap. The tears began to blur his vision, until he could barely see past the steering wheel. He tried desperately to wipe them away, so he could see clearly, but as soon as he would regain his vision, another set of tears would from in his eyes, and fall miserably down his face. He was lost in a pool of his own thoughts, and wasn't paying any enough attention to road. Soon Jason felt the car leave the road, and travel through the 4 inches of snow into a ditch. He sat there for a moment before he opened the car door, and slowly emerged from the drivers side. He circled the car, trying to find any damage. Thankfully there hadn't been any, and he slunk back into his seat, shut the door, and began to sob. He tried desperately to wipe the tears from his face, but nothing could keep them from falling down his frozen cheeks.

Suddenly, the tears ceased as he remembered that he left the letter he wrote in her front door. His car screeched to a halt.

'What if she found it? What if she has already opened it and read it?' He thought, petrified. Quickly he started the car back up and was soon on the way back to her house.
Now what? What if she had read it? She would know how he felt about her! Everything was going wrong, he thought, horrified.

When he pulled into the driveway, his heart sank as he saw Minnie standing on the porch, his letter in hand.

Jason scrambled out of the car, ran up the steps and came to a stand still a few feet away from her.

"Jason," Minnie began. "You left before I could say good bye. You've been acting pretty strange today. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm uh.. Just pretty tired." He fibbed, hoping she would believe him.

Minnie looked at him silently for a moment, then the familiar smile returned to her face.

"Okay. If you're sure." She said, placing a hand on his arm, smiling warmly. Jason returned the smile, though it was hard for him to do. After a moment of silence, he turned around, and began walking back to his car.

"Oh, wait a minute! I got your letter."

Jason froze in his tracks, and slowly turned back to face her.

"Yeah.. um.. about that.." He stumbled over the words, trying to find a suitable excuse.

"I'd love to!" Minnie grinned. Jason suddenly felt a glimmer of hope, which lifted his mood quite a bit. Right before he was about to speak, Minnie added, "As long as I can bring Adam."

Within seconds, all hope of ever getting her alone had deflated, and he found himself nodding in agreement. "Sure, yeah. That'd be just fine." He couldn't believe his ears. What had he just agreed to? A night of hell on earth with the woman he loved, and the one man he despised.

"How's 7:00?" She asked, smiling sweetly.

"That sounds great." Jason felt the words leave his lips, which left quite a bad taste in his mouth. He had to turn away to avoid her noticing the sour expression on his face.

"See you then!" Minnie chimed, and retreated back into the house.

xxx

It was already 5:30 pm, and Jason had barley moved from his spot on the couch. The TV was on, yet he wasn't paying any attention to it. He was lost in a world of thought. And all he could think about was what he was going to do that night. How could he keep from crying, or saying something rude to Adam, or spoiling their night one way or another? Jason had no idea.

He knew one thing for sure. Tonight, would be hell on earth.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize if it's too short. :/