Status: First chapter up

Breathe

Two

Everything went black and I flash back to the first time we met in drivers’ education; Sitting in the back corner of the classroom talking like normal people and mocking the class idiot. Not because of any physical or mental disabilities he may possess, but because of the way he acts on purpose.

“So Zach, you got any drugs?” Anthony asked, sitting in front of me to block my gaze of the hottest guy in class.

Zach looked up and shook his head before turning back to the guitar he had perched precariously on his lap. The teacher, as usual, was sitting at his desk, rubbing his stomach like some sort of Buddha and talking on the phone about one star athlete or another. I had my homework sprawled across the desk, scribbling furiously in order to not have to do it at home, and James just sat quietly, hands folded in front of him, with a small smile stretched across his thin lips, green eyes glowing with mischief just waiting for Anthony to walk away so he can poke fun at the habitual twitching of the class clowns face.

“Just go away, Anthony, please,” Zach muttered again lowering his head back to the guitar in his lap.

Anthony continued his incessant babbling as he walked away to bug Harley, the local Goth and one of my best friends. I turned to James to see him twitching his eye and rambling on about random stuff and couldn’t help but giggle to myself at the impression.

“James, you’re hella mean,” I pointed out as Zach stuffed his guitar back in the case all the way across the room.

“And? Your point?” He asked pulling out his cell phone to text his mysterious girlfriend.

“Just saying,” I explained to turn back to my miles of homework.

I must have been working for about a half an hour because the break bell rang to interrupt my school induced concentration.

“Why don’t you stop working for once in your life and hang out with James, Zach, and I. We don’t bite, I promise,” Harley said sitting on my desk.

I looked up and noticed she held a giant pixie stick in her many ringed fingers, and she had a weird smile on her face which meant she wanted someone to share her stick of pure sugar with; mainly me.

This is how this class usually passed. Watching the occasional instructional video, but mostly just hanging out in my little corner with my weird friends.

One day in mid March, a campus monitor walked into the classroom and left with James who never came back to the classroom.

I had no idea then how much I would miss him after that.