A Greaser Love Story

Unwanted birthdays and a problem

It was noon and Grayson was exhausted. She had just gotten back from her father’s house on the south side, and needed to sleep. She knew it was her mom’s day off from work, so she ran across the street to her best friend’s house and plopped onto the couch. She knew that she could get at least a little sleep since Darry and Soda would still be at work, and Pony would be out with Johnny or someone. She shut her eyes and before she knew it, she was asleep.

When her eyes finally fluttered open again, it was dark out. Suddenly she heard laughing coming from the kitchen and knew the entire gang was there. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. “God guys, why’d you let me sleep so late? Now I’m going to be up all night!”

They laughed again. “Good.” Two-Bit smiled at her. “Now you’ll be awake enough to appreciate our poorly created birthday dinner.”

She groaned. “Oh come on guys. I don’t want to do anything special.”

Soda grinned. “Come on, Gray. It isn’t everyday a girl turns eighteen.”

Grayson smacked her forehead. “I hate you.”

He kissed the spot she had just smacked, for it had turned red. “Love you, too.”

Steve grimaced. “Hey no PDA guys.”

“Oh come, Steve. I thought you got over the fact that we were dating.” She smiled.

Hr got up and grabbed a beer. “Yeah well…I did. But when you two start doing that is when I get disgusted. I mean, does anyone ever really get used to the fact that their two best friends are dating?”

They laughed. “Well deal with it.” Grayson laughed.

“Man you do get cranky when you wake up, Gray.” Dally laughed as he lit a cigarette.

She sighed and sat at the table. “Yeah well my dad gave me a very interesting gift on the way home today.”

Soda tensed beside her. “What was it this time?”

“Come on Gray, it couldn’t have been that bad.” Darry said, walking into the room.

“Trust me…it can be.” She laid her hand on Soda’s. “He said that he’s throwing me a party in a month.”

The boys stared at her like she was losing it. “…And?” Two-Bit made a motion with his hand as if telling her to continue.

“…And he’s making me choose a fiancé at that party.” She saw their expressions change. “He told me that it is time to stop playing around down here and finally choose a good suitor. This is so stupid! What am I going to do? He hates Soda.” She turned to him. “No offense.”

He nodded. “None taken, I hate him to too.”

She sighed again and Darry spoke up. “Well at least we have a month to come up with something.”

“Yeah.” Agreed Two-Bit. “Right now we have some more important business to take care of. For example, your birthday.”

She groaned again. “Fine. On one condition.” They looked at her curiously and she smiled. “Cake first.”

They laughed, and for at least a moment, the subject of that life-changing party was forgotten.