A Greaser Love Story

A Mother/Daughter talk

It was nearly midnight before Grayson finally walked through her front door. She shut the door quietly but when she turned around, she jumped about a mile in the air.

“Mom! Don’t do that!” She yelled and clutched her heart.

Mary smiled. “Sorry honey. Did I scare you?”

Grayson nodded. “A bit.”

Her mom laughed. “Well I’m sorry, but you never came home today so I had to wait up to say happy birthday to my only daughter.”

She laughed and hugged her mom. “Thanks. The boys got to me first, though. I would have been home sooner but I fell asleep on their couch and they thought it would be funny to let me sleep really late.”

“What’d they do for you?” Her mom asked as they sat down.

Grayson smiled. “Darry made cake…which naturally we ate first. Then we wolfed down some burgers from the Dingo. That is the most fancy they can get…and that is the best I would want honestly.”

Her mom laughed with her. “I saw Sodapop outside the house with you. What’d he give you?”

She watched her daughter’s eyes light up at the mention of her boyfriend, and her hands fell to her chest. She pulled out a necklace.

“He bought it for me with his own money he got from working at the DX. It must have cost him everything he had.” She frowned as she fingered it.

It was a simple silver chain with an emerald green stone hanging from it. When it hit the light, it gleamed. It matched her bold, green eyes, her mom noted, and saw her daughter’s frown.

“You don’t like it?” She asked.

Grayson’s eyes hot up in shock. “No! I love it!”

Her mom tilted her head. “But…”

Grayson sighed for the millionth time that day. “But it cost so much money. More than he can afford. That money should have been going to helping Darry pay the bills and stuff. Ever since Julie and Tom died they have been struggling to pay the bills. I am so grateful that he got me this but…I would have been happy just hanging out with him.”

Mary sat forward and took her daughter’s hand. “It just shows how much he loves you.”

That made her smile. “Thanks Mom.” Then, thinking of the talk she had with her father, she sighed again. “Hey Mom…” Then she stopped.

“Yeah?” Her mom asked, worriedly.

Grayson hesitated. “I…think I am going to go to bed now. I am really tired.”

Mary nodded. “Okay. Sleep well, baby.”

Grayson stood and walked to the back of her house, and into her room.

It wasn’t very big, but it was perfect enough for Grayson. The walls were a green-brown color and there was gray carpeting on the floor. Her bed was against the wall, and it had a few thin blankets on it that were the colors of blue and gray mixed together. She had a small desk on the opposite wall, that held a lot of pictures, mostly of her and the boys, but also of her and her mother.

She walked to her closet and pulled on her pajamas-a pair of baggy sweats and one of Soda’s old shirts. She pulled her long, reddish-brown hair into a bun and threw on her glasses. Then she laid down on her bed and tried to think about what she would do in terms of this stupid party. Within ten minutes she fell into a restless sleep.