Bittersweet Endings

Erupting Volcano

I looked between Jacoby and the opened suite door. Someone had been in our room, and destroyed everything. What if we had been in the room? I thought looking at the door. I bit my lip and pushed that thought to the back of my mind. It was too freaky.

"Let's see what we can salvage." I suggested walking towards the room.

Jacoby began taking deep breaths and followed me. His gun was still out, and ready for use if necessary. I was weaponless.

As I stepped into the bedroom I began to think of how little I had done so far, and how much Jacoby had done. In the forest, he protected me and got us out. Today, he went into the room by himself while I stood in the hall waiting. I had done nothing, I was beginning to feel useless, really useless.

Jacoby had always protected me. He didn't have to, it wasn't his job to look after me. His job was to stop newborns from exposing us. I could have easily died, Jacoby would have been given a new partner, and everything would have moved forward.

I owed Jacoby a lot, a lot more than I could ever repay him for. He was funny and sweet and overprotective. What am I saying? Jacoby is my partner, nothing more. It will never be anything more than a business relationship. I found myself getting upset over the last part, I couldn't explain why.

I sat on the bed and looked around. Everything had been destroyed. Completely and utterly destroyed. Mine and Jacoby's clothing as scattered across the room, ripped to shreds. The pillows had been gutted, even the bed had been cut up. It was horrible.

We will never sleep! ‘Cause sleep is for the weak! We will never rest, until we’re all fucking dead-

I heard Jacoby's phone ringing. I stood up and walked out into the living room. Jacoby's phone was lying on the sofa, ringing and vibrating across the surface. Jacoby was pacing by the balcony.

I hurried over to his phone and answered it, already knowing it was Dimitri.

"Dimitri the rooms been destroyed! Completely destroyed! They know where we are! Possibly even who we are! What if-"

"No 'what ifs'." Dimitri cut me off. "You are to get out of there now. Leave everything behind. I'll take care of the hotel, just get to the airport and get back to base. That's an order. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir." I whispered, normally Jacoby dealt with these types of phone calls.

"Nicolette, give the phone to Jacoby." Dimitri said calmly.

I nodded, not comprehending that he couldn't see me nod. Jacoby was by my side within seconds, having heard the entire conversation. He was on the phone for a mere minute before hanging up and shoving it in his pocket.

"Nicolette." I looked up at him. "Listen to me and follow every instruction I give you. Go get see if you can find your gun. You have two minutes. We will then leave. Got it?"

I nodded and speed into the bedroom. Luckily my Jericho was still in my jacket, which was ripped and tatter. I left the jacket, taking only the gun.

I found Jacoby by the doorway. I raced over to him and grabbed his hand, holding it tightly. He turned towards the doorway with a slight smile. As I passed through the doorway I saw something move, something in our room moved.

I dropped Jacoby's hand and spun around. Jacoby stopped, but didn't turn. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone standing in front of the elevator. He was dressed in all black, his face covered.

I turned my focus back to the doorway. Nobody was there- spoke to soon! Another covered assassin came bolting out of the room. I tried to get my gun up, but was thrown into the wall. I was used to being tossed around by Jacoby, but never that hard.

I moved as he came at me again. I shot, only to hit the wall.

Suddenly my hand was grabbed. I yelped and tried to pull away, only to see it was Jacoby. He dragged me to the stairs. I held back a groan as we ran down flight after flight of stairs. I was having a hard time keeping up with Jacoby, even with him dragging me.

As we burst out at the bottom I heard the elevator chime. For the love of- I screamed out as we were shot at. The bullet grazed my arm. It hurt, but I was hoping that was the worst injury either of us got.

I couldn't stand the thought of Jacoby being hurt. It just didn't go well in my mind. His cut was bothersome enough, another wound would drive him insane. Even more so if it were bigger.

I was thrown, not literally, into the passenger seat of the car. Jacoby was swearing like an erupting volcano. The words just kept coming, not able to stop. He sped out of the parking lot, not bothering to look back.

Gun shots were fired after us. Many of them hitting the car. I screamed, again, as one of them broke the back window. Glass shattered everywhere.

Jacoby was trying his hardest to drive, avoid other cars, and avoid the bullets.

We arrived at the airport minutes later. The firing had stopped a while ago. They didn't bother following us in car, which wasn't a good sign if you thought about it.

Jacoby didn't bother with parking, or security, or even gates. He drove right up to the plane and parked.

A few of our co-workers were waiting for us. They took the car as we got on the plane.

I was wondering how Dimitri did it. How did he always have things waiting and ready? How did he always know what was happening? He sometimes knew before we ourselves knew.

"Nicolette?" I looked over at Jacoby.

"Yes."

"Are you alright?" Concern was written all over his face.

I didn't trust my words so I just nodded. I nodded until I felt the tears. I didn't even know why, but I was crying. I hate being a girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
PLEASE COMMENT!
&
Subscribe.
-Jessica