Status: Ongoing

Frankie

We get farther away in the blink of an eye

"Patient's blood pressure is climbing."

"We have to stop her bleeding."

"Give her some room!"

"BP is skyrocketing."

"…. We're losing her."

"She's bleeding too much!"

"She's going into cardiac arrest…"

"Clear!"

*

Jordan Staal joked around with his friends during morning skate. It was eight hours before their game with the Sabers and Jordan hoped that they would win the game. He was anxious to go home. He needed to sort things out with Frankie.

He didn't know who he was supposed to go to, to talk about his problems with Frankie. He couldn't go to Sid, considering all he thought about was hockey and probably had less experience with girls than a prepubescent twelve year old boy. Max and Tyler were definitely out of the question, they would just make fun of him. So he went to Kris and Marc, both of whom had steady relationships.

They didn't judge him, nor did they make fun of him like he was scared they would. Both Kris and marc gave him a knowing look and smile as if they both knew what he was going through. Kris and Marc said that they went through the same thing, although not to the extent that they slept around like Jordan.

Both Adrienne and Vero had there moments where they thought that their respective boyfriends would leave them for someone 'hotter' or in Adrienne's case, someone that didn't carry extra luggage such as Baby Lucas.

Marc and Kris advised him that he should constantly reassure Frankie that he only had eyes for her. They also mentioned that it wouldn't hurt that he every so often remind her that she was beautiful and that he truly cared about her.

Walking into the locker room to change, Jordan was in a happier mood and was hopeful that he could fix things with Frankie before it got bad. He was glad that Kris and Marc were there for him when he needed them.

Checking his phone, hoping that he got a call from Frankie since he hadn't heard from her the night before, his heart dropped when the only missed call was from Gwen. His eyebrows furrowed when he saw that she had called him eight times and texted her about ten times.

He started to worry when he read the text messages, which all read 'call me immediately, it's an emergency'. His mind instantly went to Frankie; if it was an emergency with his family he would have heard it from one of the coaches or staff. Gwen would be the only one calling him about Frankie.

Jordan's phone emitted and annoyingly long ring as he waited for Gwen to pick up her phone. It rang again, much to his chagrin. His heart started to beat wildly as his mind went into overdrive thinking of all the things that could have happened to Frankie.

"Hello?" Gwen answered the phone, her voice sounding like she had been crying.

"Gwen, are you alright? What happened?"

"J-Jordan, its Frankie. She's in the hospital, she was in a car crash last night."

Jordan's heart stopped. He started to sweat and his breathing became heavy. The other's must have heard his panicked voice and his face ghost white as they started to gather around him asking what was wrong with him.

"Is she alright? What happened?" he asked, his voice sounding panicked to match his mood. He started to wonder what happened to her and started to regret not fixing things between them before he left.

"I-I dunno. I just heard last night when the hospital called saying that I was her emergency contact. She hasn't waken up since they brought her. Oh God, Jordan, she's a mess and Drew's in the hospital too. T-They said that Drew was drunk and he lost control of the car, they won't say anything else until their parents get here," she informed him, her voice started to tremble it was obvious she was crying.

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

*

Jordan was never one to miss a game. Even when he was injured, he pushed himself to make sure that he was able to go to a game. Hell, when he got hit by a puck, he still managed to play by the third period. So it came to a surprise when he came to the coach asking to go back to Pittsburgh, stating a family emergency.

Luckily for him, Ray Shero was there with them and knew about what had happened to Frankie when Gwen had called him earlier. He got the green light from both Coach Bylsma and Ray that he could miss this game and take care of the family emergency.

He burst into UMPC Mercy a few hours later. He went straight from the airport to the hospital Gwen told him that she was staying in. Jordan quickly rushed to the floor and room that Frankie was supposed to be in.

He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw her hooked up to an IV, her face full of scratches and her right wrist was bandaged. The moment he heard a woman sob he realized that he wasn't the only one in the room.

Jordan saw Gwen sitting solemnly in the corner and a middle age couple beside Frankie's bed. The woman looked a lot like Frankie, thick brown hair, but instead of curly and unmanageable like Frankie's, it was straight. She looked like an older Frankie, and comforting her was a grey haired tall man in a business suit.

"Jordan!" Gwen greeted him, being the first to spot him, and wrapped him into a tight hug. "I'm so glad that you're here," she whispered.

Jordan shifted his feet awkwardly knowing that Gwen's outburst caught the attention of who he guessed to be Frankie's parents.

"Jordan they're Frankie's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ryan. Edith, Tim this is Jordan Staal," Gwen introduced them.

Mrs. Ryan tried to smile as she walked over to them, but it came out pained. "Hello, it's nice to meet you. We've met your brother, are you a friend of Frankie's too?" Edith asked the young man. Judging from the way he reacted to seeing Frankie, she figured he was more than a friend to her daughter.

Jordan looked surprised. He didn't expect to hear that Marc was here before him. He didn't even expect to hear that was Marc was here at all. He didn't know how to answer Edith's question, he wanted to say that he was Frankie's boyfriend, but somehow, not wasn't that time.

"Yes, I'm Frankie's friend."

Edith could sense that he was lying to her. Frankie had mentioned that she was seeing someone in passing, but she didn't press it because she didn't want to make her feel pressured. She was sure that Jordan was the guy that her daughter was seeing.

"We'll leave you alone with her. Tim, Gwen, why don't we go and see Drew?" she suggested and pushed them out of the room.

Sighing, Jordan approached Frankie with caution when the doors closed. He was still trying to grasp the fact that this was happening. She had already been dealing with so much; he couldn't imagine what she was going through now.

He held her hand as she laid lifeless in the bed. The only comfort he got telling him that she wasn't dead was the steady rising and falling of her chest, and the beeping of the heart rate monitor.
We get farther away in the blink of an eye
♠ ♠ ♠
So, what did you think?
Thank you to everyone that commented.
Six new comments before I update again.
Thank you to everyone that commented and read.
Check out my new one-shot Leave yourself behind and drop a line.