Sequel: Suffocate
Status: Complete.

Breathe

Ch. Thirty One - How I would die

I didn't sleep. For the last two weeks or so, I'd developed terrible habits, and was only now starting to feel the effects of them. I hadn't eaten anything with substance in about three days, and undeniably slept less than two hours every two days. I was fucking exhausted.

Jacob had his arm firmly around my waist, supporting my weight when I stumbled. No one of us knew where Alice was leading us, but when the trees opened up to reveal a rather trampled, grassy field, Bella gasped, glancing over at Edward, who smiled. She had an emotional connection to this meadow, that much I was for certain. It had probably been year since she'd seen it last.

Jacob guided me so that I stood in front of him, and pulled my hair around my face, covering my neck and cheeks. "We want to prevent them from picking up on your smell," he whispered, kissing my crown. "I mean, there are five werewolves with you who could rip them to shreds if we need to."

I sighed, and lifted my chin up to kiss him, letting myself fall against him. "You'll only freak me out more, Jake," I said.

"Let's go!" Sam called behind him. Jacob and I joined the group, and just as I was starting to get comfortable with the situation, a group of men appeared. There were just as beautiful as I expected, though I knew that their personalities would not be as pleasant as they were to the eye.

Sam approached the man who lead them. Jacob still had his arm wrapped around my waist, and pulled me closer to him. "Ah, you must be Sam Uley," the man said. "My name is Gustav von Schauffenberg." He offered his hand to Sam, who merely glanced at it.

"I'd like to make this as short as possible," Sam said. "Please, let's get on with it."

Gustav smiled. "Of course." Turning to the two men who stood behind him, he said, "August, please bring forward the contract." A vampire with dark brown hair approached them, holding a rolled up piece of paper.

"Classy," I whispered to Jacob.

"Shhh."

"In the event of my good friend and partner, Boris' death, we have traveled here from Germany to propose a trade." Gustav cleared his throat, and I watched as he looked at all of us, pausing when he laid his eyes upon me. He smiled. "Oh, this changes things."

Sam looked at me, and I bit down on the insides of my cheeks. Jacob didn't loosen his hold on me, but I still felt underprotected. "I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean," Sam stalled. He turned back to Gustav, and looked the man right into the eye.

August stared hungrily at me with his blood-red eyes. The third vampire, who had yet to be introduced, paid hardly any attention to the sudden distraction. When Gustav approached Jacob and me, my heart pounded furiously in my chest. "What a pretty young thing you are," Gustave said softly. He studied me carefully, his eyes carefully grazing over my face and neck. "May I ask your name, miss?"

"S - S - Sarah." I had never been more petrified before.

"Sarah, is it?" Gustave looked at Jacob, and smiled. "You have yourself a very beautiful partner, if I might say so myself." Jacob's hold on me tightened even more. "She would make a stunning vampire, almost like your friend Bella over there."

"You won't lay a hand on her," Sam said firmly. "You obviously did not have that intention upon arriving."

"Of course, Sam, you realize that I was not aware there was a human loyalty." Gustav turned to Sam, smiling rather charismatically.

"What difference does it make if there is a human loyalty?" Sam was irritated. "Let's negotiate what's on this document, if you will."

Gustav shook his head. "Ah, ah, ah. Sam, you really must learn to control your temper." He turned back to me, and then looked directly at Jacob. "If I may?" He raised his hand, and with what I was assuming the reluctant consensus from Jacob, he brushed his cold, marble hard fingers along my jaw. "I must be honest with you, I find myself completely infatuated with this young girl. She possesses a very strong aura. Powerful. If only I could have her in my coven -"

"No." Jacob's voice was harsh.

"There has to be some sort of trade." Gustav sneered. "August, please dispose of the current contract. I would very much like to discuss other options with this tribe." He stared at me ravenously as he spoke, and I felt my face flush in a heated blush.

"We'll be here all night, Gustav," the one beside August whined.

"Hansel, I do not care for your immature complaints. This is the precise reason that I requested you not to speak." Gustav sighed heavily, but kept his eyes on me nonetheless.

"And do you suppose that we'll be willing to give up anything that you want?" Sam asked. "Because that it definitely not the case."

"May I remind you that one of your tribe members killed my best tracker."

"I understand that. But we have limited resources."

"I know what I want. It's all a matter of how much of a fight you'll put on for it."

Jacob growled, and in my peripherals, Paul started to shake considerably. "You can't have her," Sam stated.

"Oh, but Sam, I believe you are underestimating my abilities. I am also a very selfish man, and will do anything to acquire what I want."

"You can't have her, Gustav. I do not think you understand werewolves, because if you did, you would not make such a ridiculous request." It was Edward who spoke, and I had almost forgotten that he had come along.

"Enlighten me, if you please." Gustav looked around the meadow, looking at every one of us. "Explain to me why I cannot have what I request, though it seems to be a very reasonable request."

"Werewolves imprint," Sam said. "It is a spiritual experience in which a member of the tribe finds their soulmate, and upon doing so, separation for extended periods of time causes physical pain. Sarah and Jacob have already been separated before, and no one of us wish to put them through it again."

Gustav frowned. "That touches my dead, unbeating heart." He waved at August and Hansel, who proceeded to move towards Jacob and I. "But I am afraid that I would be sacrificing too much if I were to leave her here."

With those last words, Paul let out a scream and morphed into his wolf form. He was twice the size of a grizzly bear, and while Jacob struggled to contain his anger, he held me against him.

"Let's think this over more clearly," Edward said, raising his hand towards Paul and the other two vampires, August and Hansel. "Gustav, do you realize the emotional connection that these two have to each other?"

"Of course I don't. But it really doesn't affect me in any form."

"Isn't there something else you want?" Sam asked.

"Unfortunately, no, there is not." Gustav brought his gaze back to me, staring adoringly at my neck. "Such a young, beautiful young woman. It's so unfortunate that this had to happen, but I see no other option."

"Please reconsider," Sam argued. I looked at Paul, whose brown eyes stared back at me. For once, I felt that he actually cared about me as he positioned himself to attack the German vampires.

"I cannot," Gustav said. "I have made my decision and unfortunately, there is nothing else that you have in which I desire. Hansel, August." He motioned towards me and I gasped.

"No, please, no!" My shrill voice echoed through the damp forest air. "Please!"

Gustav gave me a sympathetic look. "Oh, dear, it will only hurt for a moment." The two seized my arms and then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. title: How I would die by Carter Burwell (it's on the Twilight soundtrack)
This was really annoying to write because I really couldn't think of anything else that Gustav might want. Honestly. I was like.. one of the wolves? Noo. A friggin' dream catcher? LOL.

Comments? <3