Sequel: Suffocate
Status: Complete.

Breathe

Ch. Thirty Eight - Messing with my brain when you wanna see me fall

Sam and Emily's wedding reception was held in a small building located right outside of La Push. It was sort of like a community center, but it had a ballroom, and that was the only thing they could afford. It was a nice reception, nonetheless.

Embry and Paul glanced at us as Jacob and I walked in. "Hey," Embry called as we approached them. "Mind if we borrow Sarah for a second?"

I was utterly confused, but Jacob shrugged and went off to find Quil and Jared. Embry led me to the corner of the room, with Paul behind me. I had a strange feeling, but I knew that neither one of them would ever hurt me... right?

Embry stood in front of me, and pushed his hair out of his face. "I've been really nasty to you since forever, and it's been only recently I've noticed how happy you make Jake. So, I guess I want to say I'm sorry. I didn't have a good reason to be so angry for as long as I was, and... I'm sorry, Sarah." He smiled meekly, and I sighed, giving him a hug.

"That means a lot," I whispered.

Paul leaned back against the wall, and when I looked at him, he shrugged. "You're a part of the pack, too, you know? Just because you screwed up once doesn't mean that you're complete shithead. You're only human."

I smiled, and gave him a hug. Paul simply responded with a pat on my shoulder. "Thanks, Paul," I said, smiling at him.

Making my way back to Jacob, I couldn't restrain myself from smiling. I'd been accepted back into the family. When I found the tall, dark, and handsome I called Jacob, I wrapped my arms around his neck and let my head fall into his chest. "What happened?" He asked, his hand on my back.

"They apologized." I looked at him. "Paul said just because I screwed up doesn't mean I'm a complete shithead. His words, not mine."

Jacob smiled, and hugged me tightly. "Sounds like Paul."

*

Jacob took my hand, lifting it off of my lap and to his mouth. I smiled, and kept my eyes on the front door of my father's house. We were sitting in the driveway, and had been for the last twenty minutes. The wedding reception seemed to have gone on forever, but we both managed to get through it pretty well. I knew for a fact, though, that I didn't want to go through another one for a very, very long time.

"I should go inside," I said, turning my body to face him.

"Probably."

I leaned into him, kissing his lips softly. "I love you," I said. "I really do."

"I'll see you later, Sarah," he said.

We kissed one more time before I got out of the car and made my way up to the porch. I furrowed my eyebrows when I heard the television through the front door. What were Dad and Brenda doing up so late? It had to be close to midnight.

Instead it was Liz, who had a bowl of popcorn in her lap and a blanket covering her legs. "What are you doing?" I asked, tossing my jacket into the closet.

She looked at me contempuously. "What does it look like I'm doing, dill-weed? I'm watching T.V."

God, she was a bitch. "No shit, Sherlock. But it's..." I looked at the clock. Damn. "almost one o'clock in the morning."

"Why are you so worried about me, Sarah? You were the one who came home late from being with your boyfriend."

I slipped out of my shoes, and pushed my dark, curly hair out of my eyes. "At least I have a life, Elizabeth. Jesus."

"Mom doesn't like that you stay out so late."

"Yeah, well I don't like that you have to stick your nose in every single aspect of my social life," I growled. "Sarah, what are you doing? Who are you doing it with? Where are you going? Why are you doing that" I looked at her. "Seriously?"

She didn't take her eyes off of the television. "God, Sarah, you're so full of shit." Liz kicked her blanket off and stood, putting her hands on her hips. "Do you really think that you can get away with anything and everything? As far as Mom and Tim know, you're out having sex and doing drugs. You are probably the most selfish person that I have ever met."

I scoffed. "Yeah, because I'm selfish. God forbid that I try to make myself happy. After all the shit that I've been through? You're a fucking bitch."

She rolled her eyes. "I don't believe that for a second, Sarah. Sure, some boy might have broken your cold, stone heart, but that doesn't give you the right to soak up attention and mope around like you always do. 'Oh, my life is so terrible. A boy broke up with me!' Get. over. yourself."

I bit down on my lip, trying to gather my words before she could continue speaking. "You have no idea what happened. Don't you dare stand there and try to judge me because of something that happened, where you don't even know the fucking details. God, I hate you!"

Liz's face turned bright red, and she moved around the couch. The air from her moments brushed my arms. She went outside, slamming the front door. I heard the car start a moment later, and then the screech of tires as she backed out of the driveway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. title: Scream by Chris Cornell
You all know what's going to happen right? What always happens when the words I hate you are said and then the other person leaves?
Yeah.

Two more chapters. And then the epilogue(s). YES!!!!

Comments? <3