Sequel: Suffocate
Status: Complete.

Breathe

Ch. Four - Doesn't matter what I done

It'd been a few days since Lizzy and Embry's little rendezvous at the mall, and feelings lightly claustrophobic I escaped from the house and decided to take a walk. Dad had told me that some parts of Port Angeles weren't very safe, but I had lived in Portland, and so you'd have to be a fucking werewolf to make me scared.

My hands tucked into my jean pockets, I let the sunshine melt into my skin. It'd been a while since I'd seen clear skies, and I was grateful that today was one of them. It was too quiet in the house. Not that I was complaining. I was a quiet person and normally said what was on my mind. But after a while, the quiet gets very irritating and I'd have to turn all of the televisions on so that it's somewhat normal in there.

I listened to the scuff of my shoes as I walked. Mom had always told me to pick my feet up, so that the soles didn't wear out as easily, but that would've had to have been a conscious act and I've never been one to think before acting.

Port Angeles was a nice little place, and even though I still resented my parents for moving me out here, I was starting to warm up to it. The breeze blew my short black hair into my face, and it felt good. I felt like I was seven again, when I would run through the yard with no shoes, letting my feet become dirty.

*

"How you do like Port Angeles?" Dr. Quintero has decided to continue our sessions, despite that I live in a whole other state. I pressed the phone to my ear, sighing.

"It's fine, I guess," I said. "It's hard to find friends when it's the start of summer vacation."

"That's understandable. How about your father? Are you getting along with him?"

Her question struck a nerve, but I tried not to let it bother me. "We're fine. We talk."

"Good, good. And how are you adjusting to your step-family?"

I rolled my eyes, and then remembered that I was on the phone. "Brenda is nice, but I don't like her. Her daughter Liz is the epitome of west-coast blonde. It drives me insane."

"Why don't you like your step-mother?"

"She tries too hard."

"Maybe she feels as if she has to win your affection. After all, you didn't meet her before you moved, correct?"

"Sure."

Lizzy walked by my bedroom door, only to halt and then lean against the door frame. Dr. Quintero spoke and I held a 'hold on a second' finger up to Lizzy. "Well," she said, "it sounds as if things are going to go your way, Sarah. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need anything."

"Yeah. Bye." I hung up the phone and looked back towards my step-sister. "Yes?"

"I just got a text from Embry. He wants to know if both of us wanted to go see a movie with him and his friend. Like a double date, except.. .you know."

"No, I don't. Tell me." I was sitting at my computer desk. Turning back to the screen, I clicked a few buttons and closed everything out.

"I like Embry, Sarah. And he likes me. He asked me out. But he invited both of us so we didn't want you to feel like the third wheel. So, his friend Jacob is coming, too." She had a sort of condescending tone in her voice.

"I s'pose. When?"

"Tomorrow night. I think we're seeing Nightlight. You know, that vampire movie?"

I shook my head. I didn't watch a lot of television so I would have no idea what you were talking about if you mentioned a movie.

"Well, it'll be fun. He says Jacob is nice."

"I hope so." I whispered as she walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not very eventful. I know. Jake is in the next chapter though, even if it may be for a short period. I don't know yet.