Sequel: Suffocate
Status: Complete.

Breathe

Ch. Eight - You gotta love yourself if you can ever love me

I watched Jacob's hands fidget, like he was nervous about something. The elderly man spoke, and I realized that he probably had the most authority of everyone here. "Most of you know the legends. They've been told countless times, passed on from generation to generation. Tonight," he paused, looking at each of us, "we will retell those legends."

He began, and no one dared to speak. We all listened intently, like we were going to have a huge test afterward. Harry spoke of how the Quileutes, the tribe in La Push, were descendant of wolves; how they could morph freely. Werewolves. There were two stories.

Harry spoke about the first Quileute to change, and told it almost like a biography. It all sounded like a SyFy movie to me. He spoke for an hour, occasionally pausing to look at us.

When he was done, everyone stood up except Jacob and I. Jacob looked at me, eyebrow raised. "What the hell was that?" I asked.

"We're all a bunch of superstitious natives, aren't we?" He said, rubbing his hands together. "Sometimes, I just have to laugh about it."

I looked at him, a bit of annoyance coming over me. "Lizzy wouldn't tell me where we were going. I don't see how this was supposed to be a surprise."

"Maybe she's trying to hide something else."

I sighed, and stood up. It felt good to stretch my legs. "Like what? What is there to hide?"

"There are a lot of things that you don't know. You've been here for what? A couple of weeks?" He stood, too. I had just seen him earlier today, but had forgotten how tall he was. He towered over me.

"What else is there to know? I mean seriously - do you honestly expect me to believe those legends?" We began to walk down the shoreline mindlessly. I hadn't even realized it until I shivered.

"Well," he said, "I don't know. You can believe anything you want, but the elders will just try to convince you otherwise."

"Do you?" I looked up at him.

"Yes. I have to."

"You make it sound like they brainwashed you." I shivered again, and wrapped my arms around myself. I had left my jacket over by the fire, having taken it off when Harry started speaking.

"I've lived here my whole life, Sarah. Eventually, I learned that the elders know what they're talking about."

I pondered this for a moment, and then said, "so you mean to say that, the stuff about vampires and shit, that's all real? How do you expect me to believe that?"

"I just have a feeling."

A few moments passed where neither of us spoke. I listened to the ocean, and the sand crunching underneath our feet. Jacob's breathing was even and smooth.

"So," he said, breaking the rather peaceful silence, "I know we didn't exactly start off on the right foot, but I'd really like to try again."

"Jake," I said, sighing. It'd only been a few days since our double date with Embry and Liz. "You can't expect me to change my mind in a few days, can you?"

"I can only hope." He laughed.

I thought carefully about the situation. Maybe it'd be good for me, to go out with Jacob. A few dates wouldn't hurt. But then - what if he grew too attached? I didn't want to break his heart, no matter how many times I've had mine. The last thing I wanted was to ruin a relationship over confused feelings.

"I still need to think."

"That's fine," he said softly. "I'm not going anywhere."

My stomach twisted into a thousand different knots. "Why are you so nice to me, Jacob Black?"

"Well, why not?"

I stopped walking. The bonfire was out of sight now, and the only light we had were from the stars, which shone incredibly bright. He had taken a few more paces before stopping. "I just don't understand."

"You're weird," he said, laughing quietly. "Do you ask everyone who's trying to be your friend this?"

"I don't have friends," I responded blankly. "It's complicated."

"What's so complicated about it?" Jacob asked, biting his bottom lip.

"It's a long story."

"Well, it's not like I've got a curfew."

I glowered at him. He was insistent, and stubborn, and I knew that he wasn't going to let it go, just like trying to take me on a date.

"Ok, but you have to sit down." I plopped down into the sand and laid back, staring straight up into the sky. He did as he was told, and waited patiently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update today. I'm on a roooooll.
<3 Comments?