Status: Temporary Hiatus, sorry guys :/

Studying the Dead

Chapter Ten - Jesse

Image

Between the lights and sobbing of the students in the dorms, sleep didn't come easy for me over the next few nights. Try as I may with many pillows, I'd end up falling asleep eventually. Only to be rudely awakened by someone shaking me violently. It was my roommate George. George? Who names their kid George? I never liked the name, so in return I didn't like George. But I didn't have a choice in the matter when he was given to me as a roommate. I had already gone through five of them in one semester. People easily annoy me. Some people just rub me the wrong way. Okay so everyone rubs me the wrong way. But back to my roommate shaking me violently.

My eyes shot open and stared at him evilly.

"What!" I yelled. George jumped backwards at my reaction.

"Sorry, I thought you were dead too." I saw his shoulders relax with relief.

"Are you crazy?! Just because some idiot kills himself doesn't mean a million others will too!" I rolled over and faced away from him. I closed my eyes tight hoping he would just leave and I could go back to sleep. A few seconds passed before I heard the slam of the door. I let out a sigh of relief and tried to go back to sleep. I should have been able to sleep soundly knowing my archenemy was dead. It wasn't that easy. I feel like that knight who didn't defeat the dragon but wanted him dead. A part you felt bad as well as relieved. You start to wonder if he suffered or if the dragon had a family. When it comes down to it, I really didn't want the dragon to die. I just wanted him to leave me alone and take back all those words he said about my mother.

The more I dwelled on the words that came from his mouth the more satisfied with his death I became. Until finally his death filled me with happiness and joy.

It was finally the reaction I wanted. I wanted to be happy that he finally got what he deserved. Now, his mouth was shut permenantly. The thought put a smile on my face. Was I heartless to feel this way, fuck no! He was heartless for the words he spoke to me. Hell, I hope he burns in Hell! I could feel the blood rushing to my face from the anger that was forming in me. I had to get out of here.

I jumped off my bed, planting my feet on the floor firmly. I grabbed my jeans from last night that was lying across my nightstand, grabbed the shirt off the end of my bed and slipped into my shoes. As I walked to the door I grabbed my wallet and jacket off of the desk. Slamming the door behind I tried to think of where to go to blow off some steam.

I could track down Alice and follow her like a lost puppy dog or find Jacqueline and bother her. Don't ask me why I'm a lost puppy dog around Alice. It's just what she does to me. Do I like it, NO! What man wants to turn to mush when they're around a woman? None. At times, she reminds me of my mother. My mother was always able to break that barrier down.

Now Jacqueline on the other hand, I can't stand her. I hate her with just as much passion as I do with Trent. But I always find myself in her company...enjoying myself. Is that possible? To hate someone but love their company? I know, I'm a train wreck but it's who I am. I like who I am. Everyone else can deal with that.

The hallway was quiet and empty. Damn, I had forgotten how much everyone loved the heartless prick. What did everyone see in him? What did that slut he was dating see in him? What was her name? ...Jennifer, that's right. I hated her just as much as hated Trent.

She was just like him. They were both two-faced. There were times when she would join in on the rude comments about my mother. Nobody ever saw this side of them. Only me. I always see the bad side of everyone. What was with that? I could look at this way; I see everyone for who they truly are.

With a sly look on my face, I decided I'd go bother Jacqueline.

The campus was empty with no sound. Not even the wind blew. Jacqueline's' dorm was only a building down from mine. They kept males and females separate except for when there's a party. The more I thought about the nonsense in the dorm, the more I really wanted to get out of here. I keep telling myself the quicker I choose a major the quicker I can get out of here and leave everyone in the dust. What I wouldn't give to get out of this Godforsaken town. My only problem was; I didn't know what I wanted to do.

I saw George with a group of people so I head towards them. Everyone quickly shut up once I was within earshot.

"Don't stop talking on my account." I threw up my hands. I got a few glares but no one said anything. "So where is everyone?" I asked after a few seconds of silence.

"They're at the funeral." George spoke. I keep forgetting that people actually cared for the asshole. I know at my funeral absolutely no one will be there and that's the way I want it.

"Oh that's right, better head over there before people start talking." I could careless what people say actually. I was just entertaining them. I turned and left them. The least I could do was just stop in.