Status: Temporary Hiatus, sorry guys :/

Studying the Dead

Chapter Thirteen - Jacqueline

I could be a bitch right now, get frigid and defensive. I could make a smart-ass comment, probably reduce Caitlin to tears. I could just leave altogether, and either make a scene or slip away.

But, going with the smarter part of my brain, I decided I’d say something nice and keep my sour mood to myself.

“Trent would’ve liked this,” I told her, listening to Jen sob beside me. She’d been like this all day, not that anyone blamed her. He was her boyfriend for Christ’s sake, I had always pictured them getting married and raising a kid and being totally successful and happy.

I had also pictured myself as the maid of honor, looking damn fine. But I guess that’s off topic.

“He would've been trying to make this a happy memory though; he always wanted everything to have a happy memory even the saddest moments had to have something happy to remember from it. Dancing on the tables or telling funny stories about people or something crazy," Cole said. I chuckled, remembering the day I turned eighteen. Trent and everyone took me out to a club, as most of them were older than me. He ended up dancing on a little circular table, getting pelted with Jen’s quarters. The memory made me laugh, but I stopped awkwardly, like everyone else did. Should we really be laughing right now? Things were tense and my left foot twitched, I almost bolted out of there.

“No, we shouldn’t be doing this!” Turning my head, to the voice, I saw Sam. He wasn’t my favorite guy in the world—Hell, I think I’d rather hang out with Jesse—but sometimes; he could use his pea-sized brain and speak his mind.

“Didn't we just hear what Cole said? We should remember the good things about him, that's what he would've wanted!" I blinked once, processing what he’d said. And then, I thought, damn straight.

Closing my eyes, I tried to envision his face, hear his laugh. I racked my brains for one of the best memories I had, one from last year. All we had been doing was shopping. Nothing big or exciting. But, Trent was just that kind of person that turned everything into a huge event, something fun and unforgettable.

Smiling, I opened my eyes to see everyone else with the same lips curved up with fond memories of the one and only Trent Clyburn.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sort of short. Sorry for all the swearing, but I'm pretty much a sailor in real life.

I know it's been a long time (you don't need to remind me, another author by the name of Victoria has plenty of times) and I could give you my list of (legit) excuses, but I doubt you want to hear them.
(:

Thoughts?