Status: Temporary Hiatus, sorry guys :/

Studying the Dead

Chapter Three - Jacqueline

Image

I made my way across campus, away from the party. Frat parties were annoying and stupid, who really needs to be surrounded by tons of drunken, immature guys? No little girl really desires to be felt up by an idiot when she gets older. I was always thinking about guys like Prince Charming, and making sure I wouldn’t eat a poisoned apple. I had much better things to do with my time now anyways, like make sure I actually graduate. Make sure I get somewhere in life, so all of this isn’t in vain.

Pulling my coat tighter around my body, I fought against the chill as I walked on. Damn winter. It was a stupid season; there was no point in having it. It only killed flowers, anyways.

One guy walked into me, causing me to stop.

“Watch it,” I snapped. He ignored this, instead saying, “I’m so sorry for your loss.” I furrowed my eyebrows.

“What are you talking about?” He sighed, grabbing my arm. I was faintly aware of the noises nearby, but they didn’t really register.

“Hey, let go. I’d rather not be kidnapped by some probably wasted dude who—“ Suddenly, my voice was gone. A lump formed in my throat, and the stranger released me.

There was Trent, his body twisted and bloody. I felt the need to throw up, to get rid of some tension growing there. No, I thought. He couldn’t have done that. He wouldn’t. What about Jennifer? What about Cole and I?

My heart started pounding and thudding against my ribcage loudly, speeding up. Dizzy, I took a step back.

Locking eyes with Cole, I wanted to say something. I wanted him to say something. I wanted to know it was all just a sick joke, a lie only fabricated to make me squirm.

Who hated me enough to do this?

I put my eyes back on Trent, a quiet sob escaping from my mouth. God, I look ridiculous, I bet.

I had my whole life planned out before me. I had a map, with every detail down. I knew exactly what I was going to do, all of the time.

But now, it seemed I had lost the map and had just taken a wrong turn, accidently swerving to the left.

Trent leaving me was never a part of the plan.

The unknown scares me, you can never be prepared.

They always say expect the unexpected, don’t they? Sighing, I became aware of the screeching sirens and sniffles from other people. My head was throbbing, my body still numb. I looked at Trent again, and I knew I had to get out of there.

It was all too much. Too much blood, too many sounds, too much emotion.

Too much of the unpredictable for me to handle at once.

Turning away, I started fast-walking, closing my eyes, as if it’d all go away and it was only a silly game of peek-a-boo.

If I can’t see you, you can’t see me. And maybe, everything would go away.

Maybe it’d all go back to normal, where the only ‘drama’ was over Clarissa stealing Sydney Ashford’s boyfriend.

But as I opened my eyes again, my heart sunk, and I knew things would never be the same again.

Not without Trent.