Status: Sequel Coming Soon...

Finger on the Trigger to My Dear Juliet

XO

I sat in class, tapping my pencil on the edge of the desk. I was so ready for the bell to ring. My stomach was full of butterflies. I wanted to get out of class and go visit Ronnie at the hospital. Mainly because I knew that Charlie was going to go with me. I wanted to walk to the hospital and hold her hand. I felt a little bad about the other day on the roof. Ronnie was practically dying in the hospital bed while I was on the roof of the hospital trying to get with his best friend.

More like succeeding, but ya know.

I rolled my eyes as the teacher began handing out homework. That was something I definitely didn't want to deal with tonight. But, I took the piece of paper regardless and shoved it in my binder. I walked out into the hallway and went over and stood by Charlie's locker. I'd only seen her this morning, because she had to go in to English at lunch to finish up a test or something. And she's not all that talkative in the morning, so I was excited to see her.

My heart jumped in my throat as I saw her walking towards me. She was dressed in a pair of black jeans that were a little snug on her and a red t shirt with a skull on the front of it. As she came towards her locker, she got this look on her face, like she really didn't want to be around me. Nonetheless, I smiled and waved slightly at her. She walked up to the locker and began twisting the combination.

"Hey babe." I smiled, kissing her softly on the cheek.

"Hi Max."

"Are you excited to go see Ronnie?"

"I can't go."

"Why not?"

She ignored me and pulled open her locker door, some stuff falling out of it. I bent over to help her pick it up, but she shoved me away, already scrambling to pick up her sweat shirt. Then, a binder inside her locker tumbled out as she was on the ground, hitting her on the top of the head.

"Fuck!" She yelled, falling backwards and clutching her head.

I did my best to muffle a laugh as I bent down to pick her up. But my grin was instantly gone as I saw her stomach. She quickly looked at me and grabbed the hem of her shirt, tugging it down. I looked around, and no one seemed to have seen what I just saw. I bit my lip a little harder than necessary and closed my eyes. Reopening them, I stood up and watched as Charlie continued shoving stuff in her bag, her face turned away from me, tears running down her cheeks.

"Is that why you can't go?"

"No." She sniffed, "That is because my dad hates Ronnie."

"Why did he hit you?"

"Why don't you fucking ask him that?!" She suddenly yelled, then quieted, "But don't worry. When I find out why I'm his punching bag you'll be the first person to fucking know, alright?"

She slammed her locker door shut, threw her back over her shoulder and started walking away from me.

"Charlie, don't--" I said, reaching for her arm.

"Don't touch me!" She screamed, turning around and shoving me away, "Just get the fuck away from me!"

Everyone in the hall way instantly turned and looked at me, giving me nasty looks, like it was my fault she was so upset and screaming and crying. Immediately, I felt my face heat up. Not only was I completely embarrassed, but I was pissed off. Why did Charlie think it was okay to treat me like shit? It's not my fault her dad hits her. It's not my fault that I don't know when it's going on so I can't stop it.

The only thing that is my fault is the fact that I never did anything about it when I had the chance.

I looked towards the front office. Everyone looked busy. The secretary was on the phone, teachers were hurriedly walking around, making sure to get out of the school on their Friday afternoon before they were asked to watch kids who were in detention. I looked to the other side, where Charlie was just walking out the front doors to the school. I remained standing in the hall way until I was sure she was gone and I started my brisk walk towards the office.

I shoved the door open and looked at Miss Higgins' door. The curtains were drawn, which meant there was probably someone in there. But I didn't care. If I didn't do this now, I wasn't going to do it at all. I knocked on the door loudly and Miss Higgins opened it.

"Hi Max."

"I need to tell you something."

"Just give me a moment, I'm talking to someone right now."

"It can't wait."

Her face hardened, "Obviously it can if you didn't tell me on Tuesday. Go sit down."

"I'm not waiting." I mumbled, turning around and heading towards the door.

"If you leave I will call Charlie in here. Now sit down."

I bit my lip, turned around and looked at her, narrowing my eyes. There wasn't much I could do now. If she called Charlie in here, Charlie would swear up and down it was a bunch of bullshit and we'd all be fucked. I groaned loudly and sat down in one of the chairs, refusing to look at the counselor. I heard her door shut and I looked up at the clock. I was supposed to go and visit Ronnie at 3:20 and it was already 3:10. I closed my eyes and ran my hands over my face, making somewhat of a sighing noise before looking towards her door again.

My stomach hurt, my heart was beating fast, and my head was aching. I wasn't sure I knew what I was doing. Someone had to help Charlie, and if Ronnie was too busy staying on her good side to do so, then I had to. I wanted so badly to just get up and leave, but I knew that if I did so, Miss Higgins would call Charlie down and then I'd really be fucked. I shook my knee in anticipation. I wish she would just be fucking done with whoever she was talking to and open the god damn door.

I looked up from my seat in the office at the secretary who was giving me a nasty look. I merely shook my head and turned the other way. I didn't give a fuck if she didn't want me in there. I come to school here, I waste my fucking time here every day, I can sit in her god damn office if I want to.

Suddenly, the door next to me opened and a girl walked out, holding a tissue to her nose. I rolled my eyes. Was she really that much more important than Charlie? I quickly stood up, leaving my binder on the table next to me and walked into the counselor's office. I sat down across from Miss Higgins and waited for her to start talking. She tapped her pen on the desk and looked up at me.

"Well, I thought you had something to tell me."

"I do."

"Then say it."

I looked her directly in the eye and bit my lip. I suddenly lost all cockiness, I was no longer angry. I was nervous and fucking scared.

"I lied to you on Tuesday."

"About what? Charlie being abused?" She paused, "Or seeing her naked?"

"Being abused."

"So, you're telling me that you came in here with Ronnie and the both of you lied about one of your close friends being abused?"

I nodded, swallowing hard.

"Who's she being abused by?"

"Her dad."

"Physically or sexually?"

"Isn't sexual abuse physical?" I asked.

"That's irrelevant."

"Verbally and physically." I said quietly.

"How do you know?"

"I've heard it." I paused, "I read her diary."

"Heard it from who?"

"Her dad."

"He told you he was abusing her?"

"No, I've heard it, like when I was outside."

"You do realize that if you're telling the truth, I have to call Social Services and I have to get the police involved and they may want to talk to you and Ronnie, correct?"

"Ronnie's in the hospital."

"Cops are allowed in the hospital."

I bit my lip, "They have to talk to Charlie too?"

"She's going to want to know why she isn't allowed to live with her father anymore."

"You can't take her away from her dad." I paused, "She doesn't have anyone else."

"She has an aunt." Miss Higgins paused, "She lives in Carson City, and I have already contacted her about this matter."

"What did you say? I mean, you didn't tell her Charlie was being abused, did you?"

"I told her I had my suspicions."

"Why did you do that?" I almost yelled.

"Because Max." She snapped suddenly, "I'm not like other teachers. I don't come to school to see kids have their lives ruined. If I have reason to believe a child is being abused, or a child is using drugs or alcohol, you can bet I'm going to say something. And I knew that Charlie was being abused. I've known for a while now. I just needed evidence. "

"Is that why you wanted me to tell you?" I asked.

She nodded, "I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble Max. I knew Ronnie wouldn’t tell me. He's scared of Charlie. She may be mad at you for a while, but that doesn't matter anymore. Thanks for coming in and talking to me about this."

I nodded, my neck stiff, "Yeah."

"See you on Monday."

I stood up and walked out of the office, only stopping to get my binder on the table. Ronnie was going to fucking kill me. Charlie was going to hate my guts.

She was going to get sent to Carson City. What the fuck had I just done?
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't take forever this time. :D Doesn't that deserve some more comments?