Status: Want to re-write a few chapters, make some longer etc. Esp. 16/17 - think I can make that better. I'll let you know in this status which ones I've changed.

A Modern Pride and Prejudice.

James and the Giant Ego.

The day I was due to leave with Charlotte and James for his Grandmothers house, my Uncle and Aunt arrived to pay my family a visit. They had asked Jane whether she wanted to stay with them in London for a while and I made her accept the offer.

She might run into Charlie there, though London was a big city. Perhaps she could send him a text and he would agree to meet her there?

It would be reassuring to know Jane was going to be somewhere else instead of wallowing around at home. Of course, Jane didn't really wallow but she wasn't exactly her usual cheerful self. London would give her something to look forward to and distract herself for a while at least.

As I heard the front door knock, my joy for Jane dwindled away to nothing. Knowing that it was going to be James and Charlotte, I hauled my suitcase down the hallway and opened the door to a smiling Charlotte and a pompous looking James. It was hard to believe that they had been going out with each other over a month already.

Rolling my eyes, I hugged my family goodbye and told Jane to have fun in London. She said the same to me but I doubted I would enjoy myself at all with James around.

On several occasions, I'd had the opportunity to discover that James' Grandmother lived in the same town as Darcy's Aunt. Of course, James didn't stop boasting about how their families were close friends and that they often paid each other visits.

This seemed to bother me. What if William was visiting his Aunt? What if I run into him on the street or something on my own and be forced to endure either his lofty ignorance of me or an awkward conversation?

No, I highly doubted that he would be there. That would be too much of a coincidence and I was sure that there would be no way that we would be in the same town at the same time.

Letting Charlotte take my suitcase from me to put in the car boot, I stepped beside her as James shuffled behind us.

"Charlotte has willingly agreed to drive us there in her car, seeing as I don't have my drivers license yet." James informed me, patting Charlotte affectionately on the arm.

James, though being able to learn to drive at the age of seventeen, had not yet bothered to try. Charlotte passed her test with flying colours a year ago and had recently been bought a new car for her nineteenth birthday by her parents.

"Perhaps we will be lucky enough to pay Miss Darcy a visit when we arrive. She is Williams father's sister, of course." James continued as we climbed into the car.

"Oh, um...do we have to?" I said, looking between Charlotte and James who were sat in the front seats.

James spun around and looked affronted. "If we're given the opportunity, of course we will! I don't want to be disrespectful and turn her offer down!"

Maybe I'd get lucky? Maybe Miss Darcy wouldn't want to see James and his Grandmother when we arrive? I could only hope.

With a whole five days to spend with James and his Grandmother, I waved sullenly to my family as we drove off down the road.