Status: Want to re-write a few chapters, make some longer etc. Esp. 16/17 - think I can make that better. I'll let you know in this status which ones I've changed.

A Modern Pride and Prejudice.

Home.

As lovely as it was to have slept in a king sized bed for on my own, with about a hundred pillows and the world's softest duvet, as soon as light broke through my window I had phoned my father and begged him in a hushed voice to pick Jane and I up as soon as possible.

Charlie was a good guy. I could't deny that. Darcy and Carol, however, were something else entirely. After that little spat last night, only feeble attempts at starting conversation were made and all of them were from Charlie. No matter what he tried, he couldn't pinpoint a subject that we would all agree on. Carol had sat in the corner, idly tapping her foot to the music and had pouted at Charlie whenever he decided to speak up. Darcy, on the other hand, maintained a stony silence. I couldn't tell if he was irritated with me, or Carol, or even Charlie. I guess I hadn't helped the situation either. Though I did make an effort to respond to Charlie's enthusiastic questions, I found that my heart wasn't in it and realised I wasn't as social on my own, without Jane or Charlotte to provide me with a sense of comfort and ease around strangers.

Or maybe it was just that my company seriously lacked charisma.

When that happy time of leaving did eventually find it's way into my life, I waited in the entrance hall with my bag at my feet and continuously glanced up the stairs in hope that Jane would be down soon. I didn't want to appear eager to leave for Charlie's sake, he never had to take me in just so I could be near my sister but I had to get out of here, to get away from William and Carol. I'd long become sick of seeing her reproachful stares whenever I was near her. How anyone put up with her for longer than an hour, I would never know. How she could even be related to Charlie is unfathomable.

When I heard my father honk the car horn outside, I called up to Jane from the bottom of the stairs. She soon appeared, followed closely by Charlie who was still asking whether she felt well enough to travel.

"Yes, I'm fairly certain I'll be alright. It's not a long drive." Jane assured him. "But thank you for everything, you've been too kind to me and Lizzy."

Charlie looked aghast. "No, it was my pleasure. You're welcome back anytime."

Jane nodded and smiled as Charlie helped her down the stairs. I thanked him as he approached and curtly said goodbye to William and Carol, who had just come through to the entrance hall from the dining room. Despite being miserable for all of my time here, they apparently wanted to give the impression that they were courteous hosts.

I grinned at my Dad when I stepped outside, shoving my bag into the boot of the car as quickly as I could. Jane was still talking to the Bingley's. Clearly, Carol was more fond of Jane than she was of me which suited me just fine. William was stood to the side, watching silently.

After five more minutes, Jane was finally released by Carol, who had hugged her at least six times whilst Charlie continued to chat away. She allowed Charlie to open the car door for her and blushed when he leaned in to kiss her cheek. I couldn't help but smile to myself as I caught my father's eye.

Carol was already strolling back into the house but William had chosen to remain outside with Charlie. His eyes followed the car as we drove away and I had to tear my own gaze away from him when Jane spoke to me.

I suppose I'd never have to deal with him again.

"The Bingley's were so accommodating. I doubt I'll be able to make it up to them, Lizzy." Jane said, twisting around in the front seat to look at me. "How was your dinner with them?"

"Dreadful." I laughed. "But don't worry, I survived." I added, seeing her horrified expression at leaving me to put up with them by myself.

We pulled up into the driveway of our home but I scarcely managed to settle down again as Katy and Lily came flying from the house to the car. They were clutching each other as they giggled raucously, my father already starting up the path to get away from them.

"Lord, they've already started and we've only just gotten back!" I despaired.

Accepting my fate, I allowed my car door to be opened by Lily, who immediately updated me on her news.

"When you get into the house, don't worry about the weedy boy in our living room. He's moved in next door with his father, Mr Collins."

"Why are they in our living room?" I asked, stepping beside Lily as we walked to the house.

"Mr Collins is the new vicar at the church, they wanted to say hello to their new neighbours." she informed me as I hoisted my bag further up onto my shoulder.

Behind us, Jane and Katy were slowly following us up the path, Katy filling Jane in on the gossip. I drew a deep breath as we neared the front door.

"Okay, let's get this over with then." I sighed, having already exhausted my efforts in socialising at Charlie's place.

I stepped over the threshold with Lily close behind me and dumped my bag in the hallway. From this position, I could hear my mother talking quickly to what I presume was Mr Collins and his son. Preparing myself, I opened the living room door.

"Oh, Lizzy! You're back, I see. Where's Jane? Oh, I see her, never mind. Come in, the pair of you. You must meet Mr Collins and James." she enthused, gripping my shoulder to stop me escaping.

Mr Collins, a wiry gentleman with thinning, black hair, was seated on the settee beside a much shorter teenage boy. He looked a few years younger than myself, at least sixteen if I had to guess, and he hastily stood up when I had entered the room.

"Hello." he greeted in a nasally voice, sounding very much like he had a cold developing.

Mr Collins, in turn, said hello to Jane and I as we stood awkwardly in the corner of the room with our mother.

"I was just saying how it would be wonderful if you could show James around the neighbourhood, Lizzy. Don't you think that would be nice?" she said as she smiled at me. I knew what that look meant, she wasn't giving me a choice.

I struggled to find anything to say, my capacity for arguing long gone, so I simply nodded stiffly. James Collins tried for a smile, displaying a row of crooked, yellowing teeth.

"That would be nice. Thanks, Lizzy." he said.

"It's Elizabeth." I corrected, not wanting to establish a feeling of friendship with this boy.

"It'll be fun getting to know you, Lizzy." he continued, disregarding everything I'd just said to him.

I could hear Lily and Katy from the hallway, trying to keep their laughing to a minimum. My face felt like it was burning and I coolly excused myself from the living room, elbowing my way past my mother. She'd gotten me into a right mess, now.

As I was leaving, my mother had begun asking James and his father to join us for the dinner the following night and I tried to stifle a groan as I climbed up the stairs. Jane too had chosen to follow me and as we reached the landing, we heard Mr Collins graciously accepting the offer.

Just as I'd gotten rid of two overly arrogant bigheads, another one had come along in the form of James Collins. I know I shouldn't judge him yet; I barely knew him. Maybe he would become more pleasant when he and his father came over for dinner tomorrow?