Status: Want to re-write a few chapters, make some longer etc. Esp. 16/17 - think I can make that better. I'll let you know in this status which ones I've changed.

A Modern Pride and Prejudice.

Humiliation.

"Hello, Carol. Enjoying the party?" I asked, imagining that she would cackle incredulously at me for even suggesting she was having a good time.

She barely responded; Carol waved my question away and I guess that suited us both. If I could choose anyone at this party to strike up a conversation with, Carol would be next to last. After Darcy.

"I hear you've met George Wickham. I think you should know that he was William's best friend at one point and - " she began, showing all the signs of wanting to put me down.

"Yes, I know the story. There's no need to repeat it all to me so if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find my sister." I said, pushing past her with as much grace as I could muster.

So distracted was I searching for Jane, I failed to see James standing in my way. We clashed and I registered the sound of a can clattering to the ground and the sight of James shaking off his drink from his hideous shirt. I wouldn't be lying if I said it was an improvement.

"Perfectly okay, Lizzy." he said, shrugging off my apologies. "I've heard William Darcy is around here somewhere, my family are extremely close to his. In fact, I used to live in the same town as his aunt!"

He scanned the nearest group of people hopefully, as if Darcy was just hiding among them all, waiting to surprise him.

I exhaled loudly, contemplating a strategy to distract James. I doubted Darcy would want to be approached by James; the least I could do was spare him the rejection and embarrassment of being snubbed by the mighty William Darcy.

"James, maybe it's best if you don't look for him? He's probably busy - " I started but James was already trotting away gleefully, having located Darcy on the other side of the room with Charlie and Jane.

I watched in utter horror as James tapped Darcy on the shoulder. No matter how many times he tried to draw his attention, Darcy was determined the ignore him. When it got to the point where James was all but shouting, Darcy could no longer pretend and he turned around to stare in astonishment at the small, weedy boy who was refusing to leave him alone.

Darcy's face became more and more confused as James babbled on and, unable to bear witness to it all, I fled the scene and sought refuge at a table, rubbing my forehead to banish the beginnings of a headache.

I grew increasingly distressed as I watched my family make fools of themselves. Katy was starting a contest with a boy to see who could chug down a can of pop the quickest, Lily was running around the dance floor, knocking people over and skidding in her heels and poor Jane was completely oblivious to everything, thankfully being diverted by Charlie.

For the rest of the evening, I found myself ambling miserably around the manor, attempting to forget the childishness of Lily, Katy and even James Collins. Every time I managed to shake him off, he always seemed to find me again. It didn't help that every now and again, I could see William Darcy from the corner of my eye. Was he following me around, too? Was he trying to remind me of my shameful family or was he seeking a way to confront me about our spat on the dance floor?

After successfully avoiding everyone for half an hour, Charlotte eventually found me hiding in a spare room with the coats and bags. Out of kindness, she decided to walk around the Bingley's home with me and even spoke to James occasionally so I could have just a little peace for a while.

I felt relieved when the party finally ended and the house had started to empty. I saw nothing else of William Darcy or Carol until we left, when we received a personal farewell from the Bingley's and Darcy at the door.

I shivered as I waited on the porch steps for my father to pick us up, happy that the night was finally coming to a close. My sisters' excitement had finally dwindled and drowsiness was taking its place.

Katy and Lily were drifting to sleep, sitting at the bottom of the steps huddled together and Jane was still in the company of Charlie, who seemed to always find something to talk about whilst she was there. Carol and Darcy were stood a little way away from the rest of us and remained in stony silence. I thought I saw Darcy glance at me a few times; he was probably gloating on the inside at my chattering teeth.

When my father finally made an appearance and we were on our way, I stared at Darcy as we drove down the lengthy drive way. I couldn't even begin to fathom why he had asked me to dance when he so clearly couldn't stand me.

I honestly didn't know what to make of him.