Despair Has a Face and All These Wounds Remained Unhealed

1/1

Despair has a face and all these wounds remained unhealed.

I watched her again, she knew I was here, there was no way she couldn’t know, I had been here enough times that I had given up caring about the wind, I allowed it to blow my scent towards her.

I couldn’t affect her emotions, maybe that was the most confusing thing about her. With every other vampire I could, but not her. Finally I walked over to her, I had wanted to for a long time, but I didn’t even know her name. she looked up at me, her hands folded gently under her chin.

“I knew you would meet me, I saw you coming.” she whispered, she smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes, her eyes were sad, they were dull, but they weren’t red.

“What’s your name?” I asked her, I was trying to be polite, if I couldn’t change her emotions my way, I would try it the human way.

“I’m Alice, and your Jasper.” she told me, nodding carefully.

“You’re here every day, and every day you look so sad and broken.” I said, I wanted to ask why, but I didn’t want her to leave.

“You’re here everyday too, you sit outside in the cold wind, and you always watch me, you’ve never came into the shop before, but you’ve wanted to.” she told me. “Maybe that’s why I am sad.” she said, her voice was low and if I wasn’t a vampire I wouldn’t have been able to hear it.

“Really?” I asked, tasting the air like a snake, I didn’t believe her. She smiled at me, and this time it did reach her eyes. She didn’t, she took my hand and took me out of the shop at a human pace, she was skipping like a fairy. A beautiful fairy.

“I never though I would find you.” She was talking in her quiet voice again, there were a few humans around that seemed interested at the sight of the odd couple. When we were at a safe place she stopped and turned to look into my eyes.

“Can, can I see your wounds?” she asked. I nodded and she looked over my arms, her gentle cold fingers grazing over every one of the bites on my arm. She gasped at some of them before looking up into my eyes. “It’s a shame they never go away.” she whispered, jumping onto a beam and balancing perfectly on it. “Then again, it makes you look tough.” she giggled. Her eyes started shining a beautiful golden colour and I smiled, a real smile.

“You have a beautiful smile, its nice to see you smile, you looked sad for so long.” I told her as I held her hand and she balanced on the beam. I felt almost human for a second, but then I caught sight of one of my scars.

“Run away with me.” she whispered, she spun herself round and landed in my arms, I heard her giggle again. I joined in, the feeling of freeness spreading through my body, taking away my wounds, taking away her despair, making everything ok, as long as I was with her.