Control Yourself

Get a Grip, Get Out; You're Safe

It was ten o’clock.

Normally, Shae would’ve been in bed by that time, but thanks to a misprint in her paperwork, she spent the entire evening after the studio had closed, going over the damage. Of course when one thing goes wrong on one paper, something else goes wrong on another because of the first mistake, and then it’s a domino effect of mistakes.

Shae finally pulled into the parking lot shortly after ten, dragging her gym bag and her tote along, power-locking her Prius from over her shoulder. The parking lot was dim except for the few street lights illuminating the sidewalk. The light in the hotel foyer seemed so far away. Shae hurried for the door despite her lack of energy, feeling her skin crawling in the darkness of the lot. The moonlight from above cascaded amongst the cars, glinting off the roofs and trunks as she made a bee-line for the foyer door. Though she felt someone’s eyes on her, Shae didn’t dare glance back, too afraid of what could’ve been.

She had seen too many CSI episodes to know what was possible in an apartment parking lot in Las Vegas.

Considering it was past building hours, the foyer door would be locked. Shae groaned, digging through her tote bag for her keys, her hands shaking as she slowed down her pace. Strands of hair kept falling into her eyes, making her panic and brush it aside. She just wanted to go home; she just wanted to sleep. As she approached the foyer canopy, she couldn’t help but notice someone sitting on the curb, their head turned towards her, eyes glinting in the moonlight. Shae gulped.

“Shae!” The figure cried, leaping to their feet, causing Shae to jolt backwards, startled to see the vague outline of Greg’s face under the night sky.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, stumbling back a step, off balanced by the weight of her bags. Greg continued to advance towards her, making her feel nervous. Her eyes continued darting from Greg to the door, but there was no hope of out running him, not being as tired as she was. Shae gulped.

“I missed you,” He pleaded. “I had to see you; you’re all I think about.”

Shae gulped.

“I told you to leave me alone, Greg,” She reminded him. “Please, just go.”

Greg shook his head, scratching the back of his neck. Shae could make out that his one shaggy, dirty blond hair was nothing more than a buzz cut. She continued eying the door.

“I can’t leave you alone,” He pressed. “I want you – I need you back.”

Shae hesitated, beginning to step backwards towards the door.

“Greg, go home,” She said calmly.

“Why don’t you come too?” He begged. “I just want to be with you!”

Shae shook her head.

“Greg, I told you, I can’t do it anymore,” She persisted. “Just, please, go home. Get some sleep. Just, please, leave this be—“

“I won’t,” He snapped, lunging towards her, causing her to jump. Greg grabbed a hold of her wrists tightly, making Shae wince. “I need you.”

“No, you don’t,” Shae yelped. “Let me go!”

“Come with me,” Greg said, tugging her back into the darkness of the parking lot. Shae shook her head, trying her hardest to pry herself free of his grip. It was useless.

“Greg, leave me alone!” Shae spat. “Let go of me!”

Greg gave Shae a giant tug, sending her toppling into him, her bags slipping of her shoulder, crashing to the ground. Shae let out of a yelp, but Greg clutched her arms tightly, shaking her roughly.

You don’t belong here,” He said through gritted teeth, his eyes welling with tears. “Come back to me, Shae Butter!”

Shae was at a loss of control. She shook her head, wincing as Greg gripped tighter into her flesh.

Stop it!” She screamed. “You’re hurting me!”

Shae tried to fight, she tried to tug, but there was no sense. Greg began dragging her into the dark. Shae kicked and punched, but her defense was useless.

“Hey!” Someone shouted from across the parking lot, a figure sprinting towards them. Shae thanked God; Greg released her. She began rubbing her tender arms, holding back the sobs as her savior rushed over. “Who do you think you are?” They’re voice boomed.

As the figure was near enough, Shae was even more relieved to see it was Forrest. At first, Greg wasn’t scared – being the fighter he was – but after Forrest’s features became more distinct, his face dropped.

“Hey man,” Greg greeted sheepishly, smiling lightly at Forrest. But that didn’t settle with him very well. Forrest shoved Greg hard. Shae gasped.

“Don’t you ever touch her again,” His voice thundered through the parking lot. Greg whimpered.

“We were just talking…” He said softly.

“Don’t talk to her, look at her, think about her ever again,” He repeated. “If I see you lurking around here, I’ll do more than shove you, Antonio.”

With that, Greg sprinted away, across the street to his Impala. He tore off down the street, his tires squealing. Shae turned to Forrest, her eyes prickling with tears as she continued to hold her arms. Before she could thank him, he wrapped her up into a giant, but gentle hug, rubbing her back and resting his head on the top of hers. Shae lightly sobbed, mumbling thanks into his chest.

“It’s okay,” Forrest said.