Control Yourself

Ch-Ch-Changes

During Shae’s afternoon class a few days after her photo shoot at Berkley’s studio, she received a call. Gretchen repeated that it was urgent, and couldn’t possibly wait until the class was over. Shae groaned, heaving herself to her feet, apologizing repetitively to the women in the class for the interruption. Shae patted down the stairs in bare feet, snatching the phone up off the front desk.

“Hello?” She asked, slightly irritated.

This is Shae Dawson?” A female voice from the other end asked. Shae’s eyebrows knitted together.

“Yes, it is,” She retorted.

Hi, it’s Shelia Fourth calling from Ford Models,” The woman informed Shae. She gulped. “I just wanted to tell you that the agency loved your photos – you have some serious potential. Mr. Berkley also passed along the message that you’re interested in walking in the V.S. fashion show?”

Shae squeaked.

“Uhm, yeah, of course,” She blurted, failing to recall any conversation about the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. “I mean, any show would be great but he said I would do good there…”

You most certainly would,” The woman, Shelia, went on. “You have lovely form, perfect bone structure, not to mention a beautiful face – have you considering pursuing a full-time career in modeling before?”

Shae gulped.

“Uh, no, I opened my own studio before I had the chance to consider it,” She told her solemnly, hoping her honestly wouldn’t narrow her chances. To Shae’s dismay, Shelia laughed.

Well, Ms. Dawson, I’m proud to tell you you’re an official Ford Model,” She said. Shae felt her heart racing. “Mr. Berkley scheduled another shoot with you, is that right? Get a little more experience; the fashion show is in December, but we’ll have you doing a few shoots with other labels here and there until then.”

“I can’t believe this!” Shae squealed, unable to contain herself from smiling uncontrollably. Shelia simply laughed.

We’ll also expect you to come to an interview in person at our headquarters in New York City,” Shelia said.

Shae suddenly gulped.

“In New York?” She repeated.

Standard procedure,” Shelia told her. “Besides, some of the best opportunities in the world are in New York – especially for a young, new, beautiful woman such as yourself…” She informed her. “Is that going to be a problem?”

“Oh, uh, no…” Shae lied. “Not at all.”

You’ll have a paid stay here, not to worry,” Shelia chuckled. “Airfare, however, is your responsibility.”

“Okay,” Shae stuttered.

I’ll let Berkley know further about the plan and when we’ll be expecting you after your next shoot, possibly around August,” Shelia said in conclusion. “Your photos have been sent off to the Victoria’s Secret headquarters – your profile photos, as well as a few professionals.”

“I can’t thank you enough,” Shae said, anxiously.

No problem, Ms. Dawson,” Shelia said warmly. “I’ll see you soon.”

Shae wasn’t sure what to do with herself. She handed the phone back to Gretchen and trotted back up the stairs, staring from student to student as they sat in heroes pose on their mat. Shae sighed, plopping down on her mat at the front of the class; she then took in a deep breath.

“Class is dismissed,” She said solemnly. The women buzzed about being let out nearly ten minutes early, however, Shae’s mind was whizzing with questions, concerns, and excitement. There was only one place she wanted to be right now; gushing to Forrest.

*

As Shae slipped through the front doors of the fight club, she received a few stares, yet again, from a few young men who were training, or taking a break. She felt exposed in her black yoga shorts and her navy blue, black, and white track jacket. She noticed Forrest, however; pounding a hanging bag with all his might in the back, sweat flying in every direction. Shae cautiously made her way through the club, dodging a few flailing arms by mere inches.

Forrest must have noticed her approaching from the corner of his eye. He stopped abruptly, wiping the sweat from his brow, smiling widely at her. Shae grinned.

“I have some news,” She said, tucking her hands into the pockets of her jacket.

“Good or bad?” Forrest said in a breathy tone, his chest heaving. Shae giggled.

“Good,” She assured, nodding. Her high ponytail bobbed. “Well, and some not-as-good.”

“Hit me,” Forrest said, leaning against the bag. Shae smiled.

“Well, a woman called me from Ford today – she told me I made it; they loved my pictures,” Shae beamed. Forrest laughed.

“That’s great, Shae!” He said, wrapping her up in his arms. Shae giggled.

“I’m not done yet…” She mumbled. Forrest grinned, releasing her from his embrace however keeping his hands on her waist.

“Okay, what’s the rest?”

Shae sighed.

“I have to fly out to New York after my next photo shoot for an interview at headquarters,” She said. “And I think they want me to stay and get some experience before the fashion show—“

“What fashion show?” Forrest asked, cocking an eyebrow. Shae sheepishly smiled.

“Victoria’s Secret,” She said softly.

“Baby, that’s great!” He beamed, again crushing her in a hug. Forrest seemed to selectively hear the fact that she was New York bound after her next shoot. Either that or he wasn’t concerned.

“What about me moving to New York?” Shae couldn’t help but ask. Forrest sighed, caressing her cheek after he pulled away, smiling.

“Shae, modeling is code name for traveling,” He chuckled. “Same with fighting. I mean, you can’t expect me to always be in Vegas – nor can I expect that of you. But, I know some gyms in the area up there; I could come and stay with you for a few months…”

Shae didn’t know what to say.

Really?” She squeaked. Forrest nodded, grinning from ear to ear.

“Of course – anything for you,” He said, pressing his forehead against hers, staring down into her eyes. Shae smiled, letting her eyes close, her nose brushing Forrest’s slightly.