Control Yourself

Breaking Dishes

"Seriously?" Kara muttered. "You're going to be a Victoria's Secret model?"

Shae shrugged, slipping her hands into the pockets of her black, shape-fitting running jacket.

"I'm not sure," She admitted. "My agent told me she was referring my photos to the company, though, for the fashion show..."

Kara just stared at Shae. Her eyes glanced down at her stomach, which was inflated and beginning to show, then back up to Shae.

"I'm sitting here fat while you're off being one of the hottest women on the planet," She muttered.

Shae rolled her eyes.

"Kara, you're gorgeous," She told her best friend. Kara scowled.

"No, I'm fat," She retorted.

"I told you to come out to my class," Shae said, reminding Kara of the yoga class for expecting mothers she had put together only recently. The turn out, at first, had been small the first few days, however, after a week, the numbers were increasing and increasing. Kara however was not one of the glowing faces Shae saw at any of the classes.

"I don't have any clothes to fit into," Kara mumbled.

"Buy some more, Kar," Shae shrugged. "You're pregnant; you're carrying another life inside of you; you aren't going to stay a zero waist through that..."

"Shut up," Kara muttered.

Shae folded her arms across her chest.

"Kara, you've become such a bitch ever since you found out you were pregnant," Shae said bluntly. "You can't blame this on hormones; you don't want to have this child, do you?"

Kara's lips pursed together and she fell silent, refusing to deny or admit to the statement. Shae rolled her eyes yet again.

"I ask you out for coffee, hoping to tell you about my good news, thinking you'd be proud of me," She snapped. Kara's eyes lowered to the table top. "But no, instead, it's all about you; making me feel bad for getting the chance of a lifetime because you're pregnant..."

Kara scoffed.

"You make it seem like a bad thing!" Shae squealed.

"Then why aren't you pregnant, Miss Model? Why don't you and Forrest go have a kid?" Kara retorted. Shae huffed.

"Maybe after we've been together for longer than this, and maybe once we get married like you and Mark," Shae said coolly. "I wouldn't mind having a child, not one bit, but it has to be with the right person..."

Kara opened her mouth to protest but the words failed to come out.

"In case you've forgotten, I've spent the last five years of my life taking care of a wannabe fighter, not having the chance to fall in love or have children," Shae said in a softer tone. "I'm making up for lost times now..."

Kara lowered her head; Shae knew she had finally gotten to her.

"I would love to be you right now, Kar," Shae told her best friend sincerely. "I would love to have kids, and a husband, and a beautiful house..."

The corners of Kara's lips turned up slightly into a light smile, and she shrugged her still slender shoulders.

"You're right; I am lucky..." She murmured.

"So start acting like it, woman!" Shae said, throwing her arms up in the air. "You are beautiful, and lucky, so shut up!"

Shae and Kara both broke into giggles after that and ordered another round of teas, ready to talk like best friends instead of inequalities.

*

"What's for dinner?" Shae asked, plopping down on Forrest's lap upon entering his apartment. Forrest chuckled.

"No, 'hi'? Just dinner? That's all you care about?" Forrest whined sarcastically. "I'm just eye candy to you!"

Shae rolled her eyes.

"Shut up and make me food, baby," She said, punching his arm playfully. Forrest snickered, rolling Shae off of his lap onto the other couch cushion so he could get up and raid the kitchen.

Shae turned her attention to the television as Forrest rummaged through the cupboards, grunting and mumbling to himself. She grabbed the remote control, flicking through the channels until she settled on a documentary on sharks. She was fascinated with the program until her tote bag beside her began vibrating more than just once, signifying a call. Shae groaned, tearing her eyes from the TV, digging through her purse for her Blackberry.
She took the call, not recognizing the unfamiliar number.

"Hello?" She answered, turning down the TV.

"Shae, it's Shelia," Her agent's voice greeted her. Shae choked on her following words.

"Oh, hi, Shelia - so nice to hear from you, again," She said, sitting upright, clutching her phone in her hands.

"I just called to confirm your interview," Shelia told her. Shae nodded, almost immediately after feeling stupid; there was no way Shelia could see her nodding.

"Oh, yeah," Shae stammered. "I'm still flying out - when was my interview scheduled for?"

Shelia chuckled.

"You're in luck, Shae," Shelia gushed. "I was able to pull some strings and got you in for an interview on August 9th, bright and early in the morning."

Shae nodded yet again, smacking her forehead once she realized she was talking on the phone.

"That's great, thank you so much," Shae said, her voice still shaky and her pulse still racing.

"There's a flight the evening of August 8th that would be best; there are no flights the morning of your interview that will get you in on time," Shelia informed her.

"Alright, I'll look into my ticket right away," Shae said.

"How about cereal?" Forrest poked his head into the living room. Shae scowled at him, making a 'shh' motion, bringing her index finger to her lips.

"Sounds excellent," Shelia beamed. "I, as well as the rest of the agency, look forward to finally meeting you, Shae."

"I look forward to meeting you, too," Shae replied awkwardly. "Bye now."

"Bye."

Shae ended the call, dropping her Blackberry back onto her lap, sighing.

"Who was that?" Forrest asked, now leaning in the doorway.

"Shelia," Shae told him, looking over at him. "My interview is all scheduled and everything."

"What day is it?" Forrest asked hopefully, plopping down on the couch beside her, taking her hands in hers. Shae smiled, knowing Forrest was looking forward to Shae attending his fight more than anything. She assumed she would be back in time for his fight; she gave his hands a squeeze.

"August 9th," She told him. "I'm flying out the night before, though, since it's in the morning."
Forrest's face dropped.

"What?" Shae asked, her eyebrows knitting together.

"That's my fight," Forrest said in a sulky voice, his eyes falling down to their hands. Shae gulped.

"Well, maybe I can fly back out in time to catch your fight that night--" Shae started.

"No, you're flying out the night of my fight," Forrest told her, looking her in the eyes. "The 8th."

Shae grunted.

"Forrest, I'm sorry..." She trailed off. Forrest shrugged.

"It's only a fight, anyways," He muttered. "You don't even like fights..."

Forrest pulled his hands free from Shae's and headed back into the kitchen. Shae's spirits dropped.