Control Yourself

Haunted

Shae stood stationary, and stared at her luggage that rested by her apartment door. She folded her slender arms across her chest, and released a long, long sigh.

Forrest was spending the day of his fight in his own apartment, away from the distraction Shae posed on his game. He had to worry about eating, and putting back on excessive weight for the advantage.

Shae tried to listen to his excuses...

And she tried to be understanding of how big of a deal this was to him...

But she wanted Forrest there.

She needed Forrest to be there for her when she boarded that plane. She wanted to tell him just how much he meant to her, without dropping those three little words that apparently weren't in her vocabulary.

Shae sucked in a rigid breath.

She knew texting him was out of the question, but there was no possible way Shae could leave Nevada – let alone the city of Vegas itself – without wishing him luck, and saying goodbye. She pulled her phone from the back pocket of her jeans, and checked for any new messages.

There were none.

She released her breath in a short, sharp huff, and pulled up a new text message, finding Forrest's name under her contact list.

Good luck tonight, babe. I'll miss you. - Shae

Shae felt tears welling in her eyes. She stuffed the phone back into the pocket of her jeans, and checked the time on her slender, silver wrist watch.

Her flight was going to be leaving soon, and she was required to be at the airport two hours in advance, in the case of any delays or cancellations.

She rounded up her luggage, slinging the strap of her duffel bag onto her shoulder, whilst grabbing the handle of her suitcase. She sniffled, and flung open the door, her cloudy vision falling upon a pair of bare feet.

Shae scrunched up her nose, and looked up, meeting Forrest's dark brown eyes for a split second before his lips attacked hers. Shae dropped her suitcase, and wrapped her arms around his neck, tangling her fingers through his hair.

While the passion between them was smouldering, Forrest pulled away, a small, sad smile upon his lips. He had grabbed a hold of her face, gently, and wiped away the streams of hot tears with his thumbs.

“I thought you were getting into your game,” Shae grumbled.

“You really thought I'd just let you leave?” Forrest chuckled, letting one of his hands slip away. He placed it on her hip.

“I have to go,” She murmured, and another wave of prickling tears came.

Forrest hushed her, and gingerly kissed her forehead, all the way down the bridge of Shae's nose until he pecked her lips softly, and sweetly yet again.

“I'll walk you down,”

She nodded, and they both pulled apart. Forrest took the suitcase from the floor, and placed his free hand on Shae's lower back as they headed for the elevator. They walked in relative silence, with the exception of Shae's odd sniffles.

She hated good-byes.

They waited for the elevator doors to slide open, and trudged inside. Once inside the metal box, Forrest set down the suitcase, and wrapped his arms around Shae's tiny frame. He held her tightly, and she buried her face into his chest. The fabric of his t-shirt was soft against her skin.

Until the elevator dinged, they stayed that way.

Forrest released Shae from his warm embrace, and picked up her suitcase. Shae smiled sheepishly, and wiped away the few tears that rolled down her cheeks. He wrapped a supportive arm around her shoulders, and guided her out of the lobby, to the main foyer.

Outside, the sun wasn't shining.

In fact, it was pouring down rain. No, not just pouring – it was a torrential downpour.

Shae sighed, and looked up at Forrest, who was smirking lopsidedly.

“The weather,” He began. “It's always reflective on how you're feeling.”

She rolled her eyes, but curled further into his side. She closed her eyes, and allowed Forrest to guide her outside under the safety of the canopy. The rain pelted against the metal shelter. Shae frowned, and Forrest released a long sigh.

“This is it,” Shae mumbled.

“Don't be so dramatic,” He scoffed.

Shae scowled, and her head snapped up. Her eyes were puffy, and red, and her spirits were shattered. She was looking for a little bit of sympathy, and Forrest was making a mockery out of her distress. Her lips parted, and she was ready to protest.

“Shae, you will be back,” He told her calmly, and began to draw soothing circles against her skin. “And I will be right here, waiting for you.”

Her jaw clamped shut.

“I'm not going anywhere,” Forrest assured her, and pressed his forehead against hers. Shae sighed, and inhaled a deep breath of his cologne. “I'm going to wait right fucking here for you until you come home.”

She stifled a laugh, and nodded her head.

“So, come home soon,” He pleaded in a whisper. “Because, y'know, I will eventually get hungry, and cold, and smelly.”

Shae nestled her head into his chest, and sighed.

The airport shuttled she had ordered pulled into the parking lot, and pulled up to the curb. Her head lifted, and Forrest pressed his lips against hers. It was a gentle kiss, but it was deep, and passionate. They kissed as though it was there last.

The t's had been crossed, and the i's had been dotted in a simple meeting of their lips.

Questions were answered, and promises were made.

They pulled apart as the driver of the shuttle honked his horn. Shae's brow furrowed, and she cast a glare in the direction of the vehicle, but Forrest grabbed a hold of her chin, and turned her head to face him. His eyes looked pained, but he still wore a smile.

“I love you, Shae,”

Her bottom lip began to tremble.

Forrest pressed his index finger to her lips, and he kissed her forehead.

“Make me proud, baby,” He murmured.

Shae nodded, and took her suitcase from Forrest's hand. She glanced back over her shoulder a total of eight times as she walked the few yards from Forrest to the vehicle. She stuffed her luggage into the back seat, and climbed into the front. Rain pounded against the window, but she could still see the utter heart-break on Forrest's face.

She swallowed hard, and the shuttle pulled away from the curb.

Come home soon, she repeated Forrest's words in her head. She nodded to herself, and rested her head back against the seat, allowing her eyes to close.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright - where do I begin apologizing for the lack of effort I put into finishing this story?

I bought Forrest's book yesterday, "Got Fight?", and needless to say, I finished this fucker. I am happy with it - so happy that I might very well do a sequel.

This is the third story I have finished in my career as an online author.

One more chapter to go.

Expect it tomorrow.

xoxx