Control Yourself

Give Him a Chance

“You know the annoying guy I was telling you about?” Shae squeaked. Kara smiled, nodding.

“The annoying yet tall, handsome, dreamy eyed guy?” She teased. Shae rolled her eyes.

“This is serious, Kara,” Shae retorted.

Kara sipped away on her vanilla frappuchino, nodding lightly. She wiped her lips off with the back of her hand, motioning for her best friend to continue. Shae grunted.

“So, he shows up at my house again like, a few nights ago, and stays for dinner,” She explained. Kara’s smirk only grew wider; Shae ignored it. “Then, we’re watching TV and, I guess I fell asleep, but I wake up in the morning, and he made breakfast!”

“Was he still there?” Kara asked, intrigued. Shae shook her head.

“No, he had training at like, six,” She explained. “I guess the alarm on his phone woke him, and he made me breakfast for when I got up…”

Kara giggled. Shae just stared at her.

“What?” Shae asked, her eyebrows knitting together.

“This guy obviously has the hots for you, Shae,” Kara told her, giggling.

“But I don’t like him,” Shae reminded her. Kara rolled her eyes.

“Why do you keep letting him come over, or let him take you out for coffee, or go to the gym together?” Kara insisted, as if trying to imply Shae liked him, despite claiming she didn’t.

Shae shrugged.

“Because he’s nice?” She answered in more of a question than a response. Kara just rolled her eyes.

“Shae, seriously,” She chuckled. “You may not want to admit it for whatever personal reason, but you like him – it’s obvious.”

Shae shook her head, slithering lower into her seat at the fresco café.

“I told myself not to get involved with guys like that anymore,” Shae told her best friend solemnly. “I don’t want to have another Greg situation all over again.”

Kara sighed, placing her smooth hand on Shae’s.

“You have to stop comparing him to Greg,” She said softly. “Shae, you have to let go in order to move on. Any guy can get overly involved with his work if he wants to be the best, not just in Greg’s line of work.”

Kara had a point, but calling Forrest a ‘friend’ would leave the boundaries open for expanding, even into liking him or loving him. Shae shuddered.

“Forrest seems like an okay guy,” Kara shrugged, finishing off her frappuchino. Shae groaned.

“He is,” She muttered.

“What did he make you for breakfast that day?” Kara giggled. Shae scowled at her.

“Banana pancakes – my favourite,” She grumbled. Kara’s giggles turned into laughter.

“Why haven’t you just given him a chance?” Her best friend squealed. “He even took up your yoga class to spend time with you.”

Shae scoffed.

“How do you know it was to spend time with me?” She said defensively. “How do you know it wasn’t just to pick up other women?”

Kara shook her head.

“The focus of the class is you,” She reminded Shae. “Eyes on you, listening to you – it was for you.”

Shae rolled her eyes.

Her tote bag resting in her lap began to vibrate, causing Shae to jerk upright. Kara cocked an eyebrow and began picking at the blueberry muffin she had also ordered.

“Could it be him?” She teased.

Shae rolled her eyes, digging through her floral tote for her Blackberry. Though she could’ve tolerated ‘Forrest’ across the call display, she couldn’t tolerate ‘Greg’. She grunted, contemplating ignoring the call.

Instead, she answered.

“Hello?” She asked. Kara smirked.

Shae,” Greg sobbed. “I need you.”

“Greg, this isn’t a good time for this…” She said firmly. The smile on Kara’s face dropped.

I’ve lost it all,” Greg whined. “I need you back.”

Shae sighed, resting her head in her hand, propping her elbow up on the mosaic designed table.

“Greg, I don’t have time for this anymore,” Shae said coolly. “I told you it was over.”

You said I had to get myself in line, and I realized that you matter most to me – more than fighting,” He pleaded. “I want you back; it’s not the same without you, Shae Butter…”

Shae groaned.

“Greg, stop calling me,” She demanded. “I’m glad you’re finally taking into consideration what I said two months ago…”

Shae Butter—“

Stop calling me,” Shae snapped, hanging up on her lost puppy ex-boyfriend. She huffed, shoving her phone back into her tote bag. Kara looked disappointed.

“Still calling?” She asked, referring to Greg. Shae sighed, nodding.

“Once in a while, yeah,” She mumbled. “He won’t let go of it.”

“You have that effect on people, Shae,” Kara teased. Shae rolled her eyes, feeling her tote vibrating against her bare legs again. She groaned, digging out her phone, noticing however that it was text – and this time, not from Greg.

Any plans for tonight? – Forrest

Shae groaned.

No. Did you have something in mind? – Shae

“Forrest wants to hang out tonight,” Shae said, barely looking up from her Blackberry. Kara giggled.

“For hating the guy, you spend an awful amount of time with him,” She jabbed. Shae sighed.

“I don’t hate him,” She retorted. “I just don’t like him.”

Kara rolled her eyes.

“Okay, Shae,”

Shae scowled at her friend before receiving her next text message.

Dinner tonight. At my place. – Forrest

Shae smirked.

You’re cooking? Oh jeeze. Lucky for me I have 911 on speed dial. See you later. – Shae.