Status: Started 12//09

Once a Fragile Design

Veintidos

After the show had ended, I knew the guys would all head out to their merch tables to meet their fans. I debated on going out myself, but decided against it for fear of having to face John. I headed off to the back lot, where the buses were parked and went to our tour bus.

It was quiet and I took it no one was inside. I sighed thankfully before heading to the back lounge. I took a seat on my side of the room, and glanced around. It seemed surreal that just a bit ago, I was ready to take off and leave my friends, all because of a boy. A single boy. God, how pathetic.

I laid down and placed my right arm over my forehead, wishing I had a cigarette. I knew Roxie had run out, so I would have to wait until our next pit stop. I closed my eyes and began dozing off, feeling tired from the crying I had done earlier.

However, just as I felt myself finally falling asleep, I could hear yelling coming from behind the bus. I sat up and began listening, trying to make out who the voices belonged to. My eyes widened as I heard Roxie yelling. She was never one to yell, unless it was for a good reason. As I listened closer, I felt my heart drop at her words.

"... And it's making me sick to my stomach, knowing that you like me so much, that Acey is my best friend yet I want John. I want him all to my fucking self!" she screamed.

I could feel my heart pounding against my chest. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. How could Roxie still like him!? I stood up and walked out of the lounge, past the bunks, and through the kitchen. I opened the door and suddenly wished I had just stayed where I was. John was standing right in front of the door, a look of shock and sympathy on his face. There was no doubt in my mind that he had heard Roxie's yelling as well.

He glanced in my direction, but said nothing. I wanted to run, but I decided against it. He had had that satisfaction already.

While we continued to stare at each other, Kennedy came from behind the bus, and when he saw us, he stopped. He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked to the ground before looking back up and licking his lips.

"I, uh ... How much of that did you guys hear?" he asked quietly.

I looked away from John, focusing on Kennedy now. "I just heard the last bit."

"I heard the whole thing ... I was in my bunk when I heard someone open the door. When no one said anything, I came outside and that's when I saw you and Roxie arguing," John stated.

Kennedy shook his head. "I don't even know why she was angry with me." His voice sounded so strained and sad, I wanted to cry for him. He looked at John, a look of regret on his face. "I guess it doesn't matter, though. It's clear who she wants. You heard her."

"Ken, I'm sorry, man. I'm just as shocked as you are," he said.

Kennedy shrugged. "Whatever. Like I said, it doesn't matter. This tour has been nothing but one fucking pile of shit after another. I'm going to my bunk. If you need me, don't fucking bother me," he seethed before pushing past John and I.

It was quiet for a few minutes before John looked at me. His green orbs made my heart warm, but as I remembered everything that he said and the names he called me before the show, I wanted nothing more than to knee him in the balls.

"Are you going to talk to her?" he asked me finally.

"I don't know. Why do you fucking care?"

He rolled his eyes. "Maybe because she's your best friend and she just ran off crying?"

"If you care so much, why don't you go find her, John? It's kind of obvious she wants you, now!" I yelled.

He shook his head before walking off. "Bitch," I heard him mumble.

"Fuck you, John!" I shouted after him before running back onto the bus and slamming the door shut.

I ignored the tears collecting in my eyes as I ran to the back lounge. I rummaged through my bag until I came upon my wallet. I grabbed it and stood up, going to walk back out, but noticed Kennedy in the doorway.

This is the last fucking thing I need right now.

"What do you want, Kennedy?" I sighed.

"Where are you going?" he questioned.

I arched my brows. "Why do you care?"

He shrugged. "I was just about to head out, too."

I wiped my eyes and sniffled. "I was going to find a gas station and buy a pack of cigarettes," I told him.

He nodded his head. "Mind if I go with you?"

"I guess not," I mumbled before following him out of the bus.

Fans were beginning to crowd the outside of the venue and Kennedy pulled the hoodie of his sweater on; in hopes of fans not recognizing him I guessed.

As we made our way down the street, an awkward silence filled the air between Kennedy and I, but I wasn't going to break it. When we reached the Speedway on the corner, Kenny held the door open for me.

"Thank you," I said quietly before going straight to the register. A short girl with red hair looked at me, taking off her glasses. "Can I get a pack of Marlboro Menthol 100's?"

She nodded her head. "Sure." She turned around and grabbed the green and white box before ringing it up. "Five-eighty-six," she said. I pulled a five and a single out of my wallet, handing it to her. "And fourteen cents is your change. Have a good day," she smiled, giving me my change.

I gave her a small smile. "You, too."

Kenny followed me out of the store, and we stood near the front as I began packing the box. Once I was done, I took the wrapper and silver foil off, throwing them into the trashcan. I pulled a stick out and lit it.

"I don't really feel like going back to the bus," he muttered, looking ahead at the venue.

"Me either," I said as I exhaled smoke.

He looked at me. "Feel like getting a drink?"

I stared at him. "We're not 21."

He shrugged. "So?"

I rolled my eyes. "How do you expect to drink?"

He smirked, and it reminded me of John. Which then gave me a sudden thirst for alcohol. "Just follow my lead."

I took another puff of my cigarette, shrugging. "Sure."

We walked down only two blocks before coming upon a decent looking bar. As we entered, the light from outside disappeared. The dim lighting inside made me forget that it was even daytime. There were four pool tables near the far left of the bar, while wooden tables occupied the right side. Right in the middle was a large wooden bar. There were only two other men, who looked like bikers, seated with drinks in their hands. Kennedy and I sat right in the middle of the bar, and the bartender approached us as I placed my box of cigarettes in front of me.

"Can I have two rum and cokes?" Kennedy ordered.

The middle aged man gave him a skeptical look, but Kennedy's facial expression never faltered. "Coming right up," the man nodded and I glanced at Kenny.

"Wow," I whispered.

He laughed. "My brother taught me that," he stated.

The man placed two small glasses in front of Kennedy and I, and I immediately reached for my drink. "I so needed this," I sighed.

"Hell yeah," he agreed.

There was a small glass jar near my left arm with a piece of paper stuck to it, "Tip Jar" written on it. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a five, catching the eye of the bartender.

"How about another drink?" he asked me smiling, obviously happy with the tip I had just given him.

I looked at Kenny who chugged down his glass. "Make that two ..." I squinted my eyes at the man's nametage. "Russell!" I grinned.

"You got it," he said before reaching for a bottle.

Kennedy laughed. "I'll leave the next tip."

;;;

I wasn't sure how much time had gone by, but I knew I had a wealthy amount of alcohol in my system. Kennedy and I had discarded our rum and cokes a bit ago, opting for straight shots instead.

"Dude, you - you look sooooo funny!" he laughed, looking at me through the bottom of his shot glass.

"Oh my God! Thass a good idea!" I slurred before picking up my glass and holding it to my eye, making Kennedy's face look distorted. I began laughing right away.

"I - I think my butt's vibrating! Oh my god!" he laughed. "My butt's vibrating!"

"Kenn-edy, butts don't vibrate!" I giggled.

"Wait a minute!" he yelled before reaching for his back pocket, pulling out his phone. "Tim ... Who's Tim?" He suddenly gasped. "Tiny Tim is calling me!" he whispered in a panicked voice.

I went into a fit of giggles. "Oh, Tiny, Tiny Tim!"

"Hellooo!" Kennedy answered. "Who? Oh! She's right here!" He held his phone up to my face. "Say hi, Acey!"

"Hi, Tiny Tim!" I shouted.

"See! Where? I dunno. The bus? Okay, okay, Tiny Tim! See you and Scrooge later!" he slurred before hanging up. "We have to find our bus! Tiny Tim is angry!"

I pouted and stood up. "We have to say goodbye, Russell!"

The man laughed before waving at us. "Do you need me to call someone for you two?"

Kennedy shook his head and stood up, grabbing my hand. "No, no! We're fine, Russell! We'll see you next time, Russell!"

I giggled. "Bye, Russell!"

He gave another chuckle before nodding his head. "See you next time, Acey and Kennedy!"

We both stumbled over each other as we exited the bar. The chilly air felt refreshing from having been inside the stuffy bar for so long.

"Which way, Kenny?"

He glanced around before pointing to the left. "This way, my good friend!" He pulled me behind him, and we began walking down the lonesome street.

I let out a burp, to which we both laughed. "I miss Russell."

"I know!" Kennedy yelled loudly. After a few mintues of walking, I began shivering. "I'm c-cold!" I hiccuped.

"Cold!? Here, take my sweater! I'on need it!" he said before taking off his hoodie and handing it to me.

"Why thank you, Sir Brock!"

He laughed as I put the sweater on. As we entered a parking lot, I noticed the large buses, reminding me faintly of why I had gone to the bar with Kennedy in the first place.

"Acey, I love you! You're my besses friend!"

I gasped. "I love you, too, Kennedy! You're like ... Like my Ron Weasley!"

He grinned and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and inhaled the cologne on his shirt. I glanced up at him. "You smell good."

He laughed and glanced down at me. "It's Tiny Tim's cologne, but don tell him!"

"I would never ever!" As we stared into each other's eyes, I felt a surge of electricity run through my body.

Our faces inched towards each other slowly, and soon enough our lips were pressed together. His tongue was warm and tasted like the rum we had been drinking, making me want more of him.

"Oh, thank God! I found them!" a voice shouted behind us, followed by footsteps. However, they came to a stop soon after. "Oh my God!"

We quickly pulled apart and turned to see the shocked face of Garrett.