2nd Intermissions

In which a countdown occurs

"Doc!" I heard a Finnish voice yell from the hallway.
I looked up from my paperwork and was surprised I could hear someone yell my nickname over the loud music that was playing in the locker room adjacent to my office.
The voice called again, and I stood up, ready to poke my head out into the chaos that was the locker room after a win to yell back.
"What?" I shouted back and almost bumped into Niemi, about to enter the room.
"Why are you yelling, doc?" He asked before he walked past me to grab an ice pack, in the same voice as the person who was yelling before.
"Why are you calling me from the locker room?" I inquired, following him to the counter, reaching up to grab the ice pack before he could.
"Thank you." Niemi took the large white bag from me before turning to leave.
"Niemi! Why were you calling me?" I asked, getting irritated with the back up goalie avoiding my questions.
"What are you doing for New Years Eve tonight?" He asked, leaning up again the doorframe, and I noticed that his mouth was crooked, favoring the left side of his face when he smiled.
I smiled back and replied, "Most likely staying home. I'm sick. I'd like to be out with the guys." I waved my hand towards my face, in order to indicate my stuffy nose.
He nodded and said, "Ahh." Before leaving me, still confused as to why he asked.

I shook my head and retreated to my desk, attempting to blow my nose.
"Ugh." I mumbled, tossing the tissue into the trash and still feeling stuffed up. I was able to hear the nasal addition to my voice that was a direct result of my illness.
A familiar tune came through the walls and the hallway, penetrating my office.
"No freaking way." I stood, going to the door to listen closer.
"Now the party don't start til I walk in..Don't stop! Make it pop! DJ blow my speakers up! Tonight! Imma fight, til we see the sunlight!" I had to stop the man who had just walked in, singing along with the song that was playing on the radio with my finger over his lips.
"Were you just singing 'Tik Tok'?" I asked, dropping my hand.
"Yes I was." Adam replied, getting close to my face, about to kiss me.
I backed up quickly and said, "I'm getting really sick, Adam- I don't want you to catch what I have."

He stalked me into the room and I backed up against a counter.
"I won't get sick unless you slip me tongue." Adam smiled and kissed me quickly on the lips, then on the nose.
I laughed and pushed him away, worried someone would walk in.
He sat on the examination table and I sat behind my desk.
"So are you ready to get drunk with me tonight?" Adam asked.
I coughed and looked at him, looking hopeful. I thought about my lacy underthings, still under my bed. I also thought about him getting sick, unable to heal. Maybe I was being over dramatic, but I didn't want anything to delay his healing time.

"I am really coming down with something. You go out with the boys tonight. I'll make it up to you soon." I remembered his birthday was this month, another prime event to break out Victoria's Secret.
His face fell, then settled into another emotion, one I had not seen before. I hoped he would be okay.
"Alright, I guess I can bide my time with the guys, but I'm keeping you to your word though." Adam smiled, exiting the room.

I sighed, glad that it went well and equally happy when everyone started to leave.
While I drove home, I was comforted by the thought of the wine in my refrigerator and my comfortable pajamas.

When the aforementioned wine had been poured and the pajamas slipped on, I turned on the radio to a local station, so I could wait up until the countdown with music.
I was swaying to a song I enjoyed when my phone lit up on the counter.
Answering it and expecting Adam, I got Angelina.

"Where the hell are you?" She asked, and I could hear the loud bar in the background.
"At home. I'm way too sick to be going out tonight. Where are you?" I took a sip of the sweet red wine.
"I'm about to leave Troy here with the other hockey players and go to your house." I heard the bar noise fade and I choked on my wine.
"Angelina! I'm fine! Stay with Troy!" It felt odd to call the forward by the name I call the equipment manager.
"No. Bros before hoes." She replied. I couldn't hear the bar noise anymore and I quickly said, "If you don't stay with Brouwer and the boys, I will tell him how you fart when you drink milk."
"No."
"Yes."
"I will END you."
"Try me, woman." I laughed.
"Fine, but I'm calling you at midnight." She bargained.

Smiling, I hung up with her and poured myself another glass of wine.
Another song began playing and I swayed, moving around my apartment while the lyrics surrounded me, accompanied by the bass and drums.
"Hmm." I hummed along with it, and glanced at the clock.
11:49 it read, and the song changed to something more upbeat. I knew the chorus, so I sang it when the time was correct.
"Well, Daft Punk is playing at my house, my house." I sang, off-tune and I'm sure horribly.
I think I was pretty tipsy off the strong wine when I accidentally dropped my glass.
"Oh shit." I said, beginning to clean it up. Immediately after I had placed the last shards in a garbage bag, I heard a knocking on my door. While walking to it, I turned down the music.

"Honey, are you okay?" I heard, and after looking down, I saw my neighbor.
She was a pleasant old Jewish woman, her husband and her had lived in the building since it was built.
I laughed and replied, "Yes, I just dropped a glass."
She nodded and asked me, "Are you alone tonight?" My eyes widened. Jeez, this woman meant business.
"Yup. I'm pretty sick right now." I sniffed, feeling my nose contract.
"Come over and have some champagne with us while we countdown!" She offered.
"Mrs.?" I asked.
"Mrs. Stein, just come over!" She beckoned.
I sighed and followed her, keeping my door unlocked.
"Mrs. Stein, you don't really need to invite me over." I said, entering the door she opened for me.
"Nonsense. Come, come!" She closed the old wooden door and led me into the front room.
The house smelled like food and dust, an interesting combination.
Mr. Stein said from the couch, "It's almost time, Janine!"
She quickly introduced me, and offered me a seat.
We watched the countdown and said along with the television, "Five...Four...Three...Two...One."

"Happy New Years, child!" Mr. Stein said, handing me a glass of sweet Jewish champagne. I accepted it graciously and felt something vibrating in my pocket. Excusing myself, I answered it.
"HAPPY NEW YEARS!" I heard a group shout at me from the other end.
I glanced at the caller ID and said, "Thank you guys! Can I talk to Gina?"
"Hey Sam! If I was there, I'd kiss you!" She sounded completely wasted.

I put my hand over the receiver, took a gulp of the champagne and thanked the old married couple before leaving.
When I put the phone back up to my ear, I heard her yelling, "HEY, SAM, ARE YOU THERE?"
I answered her with a quick, "Yes!" as I entered my apartment, turning off the radio.
"Niemi has something to say to you!"
I laughed when I heard the phone being passed around.
"Iloinen Veres Ikä Samantha!" He said in his native language.
"Thank you, Niemi!" I replied, beaming into the phone.
"Wish you were here! Call me Antti!" A shuffling and I heard Angelina again.
"He's had a couple drinks. Kopecky just had to start doing shots with him." When she told me this, I heard a couple very angry words in Slovak yelled. "I told Niemi about your love for accents, and he couldn't resist, I guess."
I giggled and asked Gina, "Where is Adam?" wanting to wish him a happy new year.
"I don't know. I think he went to a party with Kane."
I ended the call quickly after that, wanting to leave my phone open for his call, which was sure to come soon.

---

When I woke the next morning, with two empty wine bottles and a headache, I stumbled into the bathroom. After I composed myself, I checked my phone.
Various texts had been sent from relatives, friends, and colleagues, but nothing from Adam.
I frowned and made coffee, then I turned my phone off, suspecting it was messing up,then turned it on again. My frown increased when I tried calling him and was greeted with no answer.

My first thought was to worry. Was he in trouble? Did he drink too much? Was he hurt? I scrolled through my phonebook, and when I found Patrick Sharp's number, I called it.
"Sharpie, is there something wrong with Adam?" I heard him chuckle and answer, "No, he's right here, we're watching the Winter Classic."
"Can I please talk to him?" I sat down, less worried, now more irritated.
"Sam?" He grabbed the phone from Sharp.
"Adam- why didn't you call?" I made myself a cup of coffee, unable to keep still.
"Oh! My phone died, I'm so sorry." His voice sounded sincere, but after I hung up with him, I narrowed my eyes at my closet, holding my coffee mug.
Even if his phone died, he should have called in the morning. I decided that I would not be going anywhere today, glad that no team had practice today. Except, of course, the two teams playing in the Winter Classic.
I laid on my couch and turned on the television. Watching the Bruins and the Flyers play calmed my nerves, and gave me time to think.
Adam *was* voted the Ladies Man on the team. I never thought I would have to worry about that. Ever. He was perfect and sweet, and everyone loved him.
"Ugh." I said, burying my face into the pillows on the couch.
"I hate being sick!" I yelled into them, thinking that if I wasn't sick, I wouldn't have had to worry (for the first time in the relationship) where Adam was- because he would have been with me, and I would have gotten to show him the special set I bought.
A knock on my door broke my thoughts and I sighed, standing to walk to the door.
Angelina burst in, like usual, and demanded to know why I looked so lack-luster.

I ended up telling her everything, including my fears and worries, and for a while she sat there, thinking.
"Well, you do have a valid point with the Ladies Man thing. I did hear someone say something last night that he's not the same when he's drunk."
A distressed look appeared on my face and she quickly added, "But what trouble could him and Kandy Kane have gotten into?"

That is a very good question.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love all of you guys sososo much. Whenever I don't feel like updating, I check the comments and I see that someone new commented and I open up a new word document and type away.

So, to all of those subscribers that lurk in the shadows, please please please comment? I don't bite!

To those that do: Thank you so much! <3
Oh, and WestCoastWinter, I actually did research the injury, and I knew some about it when Wiz tore his ACL for the 3rd time last year. Now I'm all worried, like, "What if something isn't accurate? She'll know!" :P

As always, love you guys- that's why I'm planning a sequel.