2nd Intermissions

In which more tears are shed

I set my book down, listening to the team come into the locker room. They entered with much more silence around them then when they entered during the 2nd intermission. Before leaving for the third period, the locker room was jovial, being up 5-1 in Minnesota. Now they sat in their borrowed cubbies, silently undressing.
I had started pretending to read while listening to the television in the corner when overtime came around. The third period was a slaughter. Within seven shots, they scored four goals on Huet. The fact that the defense only let seven shots find our goalie was awesome, but in the end, Cristobal caved under pressure and let four goals through. When the lead was lost, and we headed into overtime, I prayed for a goal. I, along with every other Chicago fan knew that Huet would not and could not survive a shoot out. In the eighth round of said shoot out, our fate was sealed and the game ended.
There were different kinds of losses in hockey. There was the ''we fought hard but they fought harder" loss, which was always a respectable downfall, there was the "our offense was top notch, but our defense was lacking" - which sucks, but is more common. There were a couple others, but the one we had experienced, no one gave a name to. No one involved with the teams openly acknowledged that this was a different loss.
This was a loss that could be pinned on one man. No one would say so, though. I could hear Coach Q talking to his silent audience and I heard snippets of, "We fought, but we couldn't keep control of the puck.." Lie. "We just didn't play 100% out there." Lie. "We need to support our guys more." Lie. Not one would call him out on it, though. Huet would most likely avoid the television for a couple days after tonight- we would advocate it, try to keep him occupied. His fragile psyche would be on the verge of shattering. No one would point and accuse, no one would suggest, no one would like this game mentioned in a very long time, but everyone knew that tomorrow we were at home and most of the fans that were committed to the Indian would know. They would watch him with their knowing eyes.
I sent up a prayer that Antti would play tomorrow. I didn't want to have to send Huet off for a mental health holiday again. Goalies were under so much pressure in general, this loss would feel like a lead weight in his stomach.
I stopped listening to Q and waited for my customers to come in and picked up my book.
"The Greatest Hockey Stories Ever Told" hid my face when Kane came in- wearing his underarmour leggings and shirt. He asked for an ice pack- he had gotten elbowed where his pads didn't reach. I commented on his outfit, "You look like a ninja, kid." I didn't like seeing the serious look on the young player's face. We already had one 21 year old who acted like he was 40, we didn't need another one.
Patrick Kane cracked a smile and left, remembering his manners and thanking me for the ice pack. I waved him off and Huet came in, going towards the cooler.
"Hey, bud." I put down my book, saving my place and leaned back in my chair. "It looked like you jerked your knee bad during the shoot out." I said the tender words. "Sit on the table, you know how it goes." I smiled at the sad looking Frenchman. He nodded, his lips pressed tight together.

While I prodded around his left knee, I asked him, "Excited about going home tomorrow? I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed." I attempted to make conversation in between asking, "Does this hurt? Can you feel this?"
He maintained his silence until I was finished. Before I gave him a clean bill of health, I looked up at him and said, "Huey, if you don't bounce back from this, I can give you a vacation, you know that- right?" He looked down at me with wide eyes and replied before jumping up and leaving, "It's fine. I'll feel better tomorrow."
That I doubted. After he departed, Hossa came in and I greeted him warmly.
"Doc, my ankle." He sat on the table, extending his ankle for me. I chuckled and was glad for more comical company. Marian was always one to make me laugh. Turns out though, his ankle wasn't doing so hot and I made my way into the locker room to tell Coach Q the bad news- "Hossa is day-to-day."

We were on the plane before midnight and I opened my apartment door around one thirty in the morning. I dropped my bags in the hallway and changed into my pajamas quickly, sliding into bed and plugging my phone into its charger. Before falling asleep, I told myself I would do my laundry before we had to be at the rink for the pre-game. Coach Q waived having practice in order for the players to get more sleep. In my mind, I thanked him as I fell asleep, hoping to wake up around noon.

The game ended in another loss. This time, it was a "we fought hard, but they fought harder" loss, and Niemi was in net. I spent my time in the tunnel with Troy and it was helpful, because Ladd needed to have a butterfly bandage applied to a cut above his eyebrow. With me in the tunnel, he barely had to leave the bench. The loss sucked, and everyone felt Marian's absence, even with Jack Skille called up to help the team.

No one wanted to think about the two losses they had just been hit with and it seemed that everyone was thankful for the three days they would have off. We played Columbus at home on Thursday, and until then, I was determined to move on from the losses.
Until I was home alone after the game, I had completely forgotten about Adam. Work had successfully cleared my mind of that cheating butthead. Angelina had called, urging me to get online. She had found pictures from the playboy party. I sighed, not really needing the solid evidence, but when presented with the links via instant messenger, I had to click them. The first was sent: http://tinyurl.com/wow37
I clicked, expecting the worst. I was ashamed to know that the very first thing I noticed was how handsome he looked in that hat and vest. I think I actually let out a low whistle before my eyes rested upon the two girls at his side. They both had that shimmery fake blond hair that you only heard about in movies, but the one girl's roots stood out in my memory.
"That bitch." I said, realizing it was the woman who sat in Adam's lap that night. Angelina then sent another picture, the one that took my already tender heart and crushed it so violently I exited out of the window quickly. He was kissing the woman with the dark roots while confetti rained down, one hand holding her cheek the way he held mine and the other holding a beer bottle.
I made a noise of disgust and sat back in my chair. How would I tell him that it was over? He had to know the talk was coming, if he didn't call me first. I glanced down at my wrist and saw the bracelet he had given me, not too long before he started acting strange. Did he buy me this gift before or after he found someone new? I unclasped the delicate chain and set the bracelet and its stone on the desk. What to do, what to do- I pondered, staring down at the gift that at one time, meant the world to me. As I stared down at it, I thought of the night we went snowmobiling and I almost rolled it. Once he got to drive the machine, he tugged my arms tighter around his waist and I was pressed flush against him. I sighed, remembering the lacy Blackhawks colored bra and panty set, now in my laundry bin. Was the night that I wore that really the same night Antti had kissed me? I raised my hands to my lips and realized quickly, even if there was something between Antti and I, it couldn't work. After Adam had so recklessly tossed my love around- knowing what I was risking for him, I wasn't too prone to risk it again.
Even on a Finnish goalie who offered me friendship before a relationship- something that Adam hadn't.

Angelina's IM window blinked and I typed a quick reply and stood, closing my laptop. Grabbing the bracelet, I slipped it into my pocket and left the house, leaving my coat, only taking my wallet and keys.
I drove to Adam's house, and I looked at the clock on the dash. It told me it was a little after ten as I pushed 50 on vacant Chicago streets. I only drove like this in the country, and thinking about it, I might need to take the three day break back to my parent's house and take the snowmobile for a spin.
Parking swiftly, I jumped out of the car, barely glancing at the crooked park job. Bounding up the steps in just jeans and a Team Canada hoodie, I rang the doorbell.
When the door opened, I could see Adam, shirtless, wearing only sweats.
"Samantha?" He asked, blinking once or twice.
"Yeah, I thought you might need this back." I fished the bracelet out of my pocket and placed it in his hand.
"But-"
"No, it's totally fine because, we're not going out anymore, you see? I risked my dream job for you, and you blew it. Take the bracelet back. You can keep the cheesewheel, robe, and your puck bunny. Have fun." I turned on my heel, swaying down the steps. So what if I had made sure my jeans hugged my butt? It was his fault, and I wanted to make him suffer a little.
"Samantha, wait!" I heard him call and felt someone grab my shoulder.
I turned and looked at him with my head tilted. I couldn't deny I was still utterly attracted to him, with his wild hair and his unshaven, large jaw. His eyes were blue, same as mine and Niemi's, but his were different. A darker blue, outlined in almost black.
"I just wasn't ready for commitment yet. I mean- I met your parents and..just.."
"Than you should have talked to me about it, Adam. It's too late now." I made to turn again and he stopped me.
"You, we- We can work this out. This is still yours." He pressed the bracelet into my hand and added, "Everything I said was true." A woman stepped out of his house, tying a robe around her waist. She yelled, "Baby?"
"It just lacked the sincerity I guess, baby." I mocked, turning towards the woman.
"Hey, think fast!" I yelled, giving her ample time to prepare herself for the bracelet I flung through the air. She would have caught it perfectly if she had a little more coordination than I assumed she did when she gave men sexual favors. It landed near her feet after her missed catch.
I smiled bitterly at Adam one last time before getting in my car, pulling out of the parking spot and motoring down the road. I didn't even look in my rearview mirror, which I prided myself on.
After two intersections had passed between myself and Adam, I let it sink in. And as it started to sink in, the tears started to seep out.
I was outside of my apartment with the engine off, crying into my hands. It was oh-so-perfect and Adam was so nice and so lovely. He met my parents and charmed them, it was like it was meant to be. He spoke about being afraid of commitment- he didn't think that it was a big step for me, too? The last time I had introduced a boyfriend to my parents was high school. I was the definition of commitment-phobia.
But no, he just went off and partied with the playboy bunnies, leaving his girlfriend at home, sick. I told him to go out, have fun, but damn, I expected at least a call, or maybe some fidelity.

I jumped violently when someone tapped on my driver's side window. I tried to calm my breathing as I looked over to see Tomas Kopecky and Antti Niemi, smiling and holding two bags. I wiped my face off and stepped out of the car.
"What are you two doing? What's in the bags?" I asked, still trying to compose myself.
Tomas smiled, "Cheering you up. We knew what tonight's homecoming would mean, and Antti here thought that some movies," He raised one bag in the air and continued, "and candy-" Antti raised the other bag and finished for him, "Would cheer you up. Seems like we came just in time."

I smiled at the two men, never more grateful to have been interrupted while crying my eyes out. I know my eyes were still red and puffy, but Antti beamed at me while Tomas was making popcorn in my kitchen and Niemi put the movie in my dvd player. He sat down next to me and we waited for Tomas to return with the popcorn mixed with reese's pieces. Pecky sat on the floor, inbetween Antti and I so we could all share the treat.
The movie finally started and I giggled, realizing what they had put in the player.
"You know this movie makes me weepy everytime, right?" I asked and Tomas jumped up, ejecting Mystery, Alaska from the machine and putting in another one.
"Sorry, thought it would be good for you, but no worry! Plan B!" He stated as another movie started to play. He turned the lights off before settling back down on the floor, between the legs of myself and Niemi.
Slapshot began to play and I allowed myself to lean against Antti. It was getting late and I found myself yawning. He slowly wrapped his arm around my shoulders and his hand rested on my forearm as I sunk into his chest, nodding off.
The last thing I remember from the movie was someone shouting, "Old time hockey!"
♠ ♠ ♠
In which more tears are shed--and more games breezed over.
I AM SO ANGRYFACE ABOUT SATURDAY'S LOSS AGAINST THE WILD.
Grrr.

So, my update, even though I should be doing my homework, because I have school tomorrow. Geeeeh.

Please please please comment? I know I can rely on my regulars (I love you guys!)
But I seriously love new commenters. I've got a bunch of subscribers and a handful of ones that give me feedback and loooove.
If you just comment a short little sentence, I'm still happy, MysterySubscribers!
<3 Love you guys.