Status: active

Show Me Your Teeth

save me.

Beauty sleep isn’t just confined to the living. Even the undead like me enjoy sleeping in, especially after pulling some graveyard shifts as it were. Sure it may be inconvenient for vampires, but I’m telling you, after a long day there is nothing I like more than falling asleep. Damn vampires were keeping me up far past my bedtime and I only mention this because I got in at 5:30 this morning, and there is some idiot with a death wish knocking so loud it could wake the dead.

At 9 am.

I don’t know about you, but looking good was not at the top of my list at the moment. Giant rollers in my hair and smudged make up under my eyes certainly didn’t make me look like the Queen of Sheba, but I’m lazy and it is far easier to get ready the night before. The poor boy standing on my porch looked scared to death when I ripped the door open.

“Oh come now, I don’t look that hideous,” I grinned.

“Of course not Ms. Baker,” he stuttered. “This is for you. Mr. Northman requests you come to Fangtasia tonight.”

Snatching the package and slamming the door, I dragged myself into the kitchen. I had an appointment to redecorate a house for the daughter of some socialite’s cotillion; I might as well stay up and put a pot of coffee on. While the coffee perked, I stared at the package. And I continued to stare for the better part of 30 minutes. I just couldn’t help it; ever since I was little I loved packages. I loved getting them, opening them, and even looking at them, trying to figure out what was inside. With a little too much zeal, I tore the box open and reveled in what I saw.

A pair of classic black Christian Louboutin’s and beautiful black cocktail dress from a designer I had never heard of. Not that I was complaining. I had a new pair of shoes and that, was always a good thing.

Image


“Listen, I am the designer, not her daughter,” I growled as I wormed my way into the backseat of my car. “There will absolutely not be an arch of bunched up fabric, this isn’t the 80’s for heaven’s sake.”

“But that’s what I have here to deliver,” the voice on the other end drawled.

“No you deliver what I ordered,” I snapped, wiggling into the dress.

“Yes Ms. Baker,” the voice sighed and disconnected.

“No good debutants always trying to fix something that isn’t broke.”

My appointment over in Monroe had run longer than I planned, mostly because of an overly picky daughter and a mother who couldn’t make up her mind if her life depended on it. That being said, I really didn’t have time to go home and change. It was a stroke of luck that I tossed the package in my backseat. Stripping and redressing wasn’t my favorite thing to do, but you just have to roll with the punches. Fortunately for me I was pretty good at this. The unfortunate thing was the dress. It was beautiful, and the fabric was exquisite, but when you’re…particularly busty, like myself, strapless dresses aren’t always your best friend. And though I am not tall, the hem was far too short for my liking.

Of course the entrance line was huge, but I figured with a handwritten note from the owner that I was allowed cuts. Pam, the vampire I met the night before, was working the door again and smiled as I approached. People in line complained when I walked past but they were easy to ignore.

“Zoey Baker, just the human I was looking for,” Pam grinner toothily.

“It’s nice to see you too,” I smiled and looked down. “Cute shoes.”

“The same goes to you…a gift from Eric?”

I nodded, “The dress too, though it’s a little short for my liking.”

Pam smirked and ushered me in. She said Eric was waiting and was growing impatient, which didn’t surprise me in the least. Eric had the persona that he was higher and mightier than everyone around him, and things that didn’t go his way, or happen to his liking, made him quite irritable.

I spotted him in the same place as the night before, sitting in a chair that more resembled a throne, surveying his territory. The club was packed from wall to wall, but it was a Friday night. He looked bored and unimpressed with the whole situation, even though there were people lined up vying for his attention. It was now or never and as I approached, he motioned and two vampires cleared the crowd away, revealing a smaller second chair next to his own. He continued to stare outward as I took my seat, waiting for him to speak first since he called me hear.

“It is 12am and Fangtasia opens at 10pm. Why were you late?” He turned and stared, eyes burning holes into my own.

“I had a design appointment in Monroe that ran late. You didn’t specify a time either,” I reminded him.

“Your sense of self-preservation seems low. Do you enjoy angering such dangerous beings?”

“It was not my intent to make you angry,” I splayed my hands, apologizing. “If I had known of a time frame, I would have left earlier.”

“Do you like your gifts?”

“Yes but- “

Quicker than the blink of an eye, Eric scooped me up and ran into the back office, setting me down on the small sofa.

“But what,” he seethed.

“But I do not understand why you sent them.”

His expression softened and he kneeled so we were at eye level.

“I sent them, because you saved my life.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i know it's kind of short, but i wanted to get something out. the next update probably won't be until sometime next week since i have college orientation and my graduation party this week.
xx