Status: active

Show Me Your Teeth

demons.

Grim Reapers, have been here almost as long as man. Our history is long, and complicated. Reapers in and of themselves are quite complicated, so I think some sort of explanation is in order.

Every being has some sort of natural enemy, even Reapers. For man, it’s disease. Vampires, sunlight, and for me, it’s demons. Hateful and strong, they are one of the most despicable beings on this Earth. Their sole purpose, besides wreaking havoc and causing deaths, is to kill and consume Grim Reapers. But that is a different story, for a different time.

Although we appear human, there is a powerful, grotesque being that dwells inside us. Something changes physically when a person becomes a Grim Reaper. Their outward appearance stays as it was in their life, but different in some way as to avoid panic. This really only applies to mortals, but after about 80 years, our appearance returns to it’s original for. I figure it happens because anyone who would recognize you has gone to the other side, and if someone does happen to get recognized, we chalk it up to luck and coincidence. With over 4 billion people in the world, it’s quite easy. If I had met Sookie about 20 years prior, I would appear different to her that I do now, but I would always have looked the same to Eric or any other vampire. We don’t know why it only applies to mortals, but maybe it’s because supernaturals are good at keeping secrets.

Our true form arises when confronted with danger, like being hunted by a demon. They’re fast, crafty, extremely powerful. With a mouth full of razor sharp teeth, and venom that paralyzes, they are quite formidable. Ugly creatures too.

When I pulled into my driveway, I was confronted by such a thing. Well, not directly, but I could smell the distinct sulfur odor that accompanied them. I had to roll up my windows, the whole forest was drenched in the horrid smell. It was lurking, confined to the darkness of the woods by a more powerful being, which was terrifying. What could be so strong as to scare a demon? Not wanting to think about it out in the open, where the original monster could decide to take it’s chances and strike, I hurried inside, not noticing my own transformation had begun.

The front door was already open, something I should have noticed. I backed in, slightly crouched, ready to attack at the first sign.

“You have a demon on your property, did you know?” a silky nonchalant voice spoke.

I whirled around and narrowed my gaze when I found Eric, lounging casually on my couch.

“I though vampires couldn’t enter a home without being invited.”

He turned to face me. “Yes, well, that applies to humans. But you...you aren’t human,” he smirked, and then immediately frowning.

His eyes flicked to the mirror next to me, and I sighed at what I saw. If my appearance startled him, he didn’t let it show. I was in the throws of changing into a what a true Grim Reaper looks like. My eyes had become huge, almost cartoonish, and black as night. What used to look like dainty fingers now appeared as razor sharp claws. I was monstrous, and the transformation wasn’t even complete. Thankfully I hadn’t been talking when he turned, or my mouthful of fang like teeth would have been revealed. Utterly embarrassed, I retreated to the kitchen, hand over my mouth and blinking continuously.

He appeared next to me a second later, quiet as air. If I thought a vampire could look concerned, that’s what Eric looked like.

“You really aren’t human...” he murmured. “I was just guessing back there.”

“My body is,” my voice was still muffled by my hand.

Eric, now looking curious, gently tried to move my hand from my mouth, but I shooed it away.

“Let me see,” his voice was firm, but not mean.

I sighed and slowly moved my hand, which had begun to look like normal again. Never had I resigned to let someone see this side of me, but there are just some people you know will be around for a long, long, time and Eric was one. He would have seen it eventually, so why wait? I pulled my lips back into a grim smile but looked away, not wanting to see his reaction. A small click resonated in the room, and then he was turning my head to face him.

“See, that’s not so bad,” he smiled , his own fangs exposed. “I think it’s quite a fitting look.”

I scoffed and once again hid my teeth from view. “Fitting? I look like a true monster, and that isn’t even the half of it.”

“Really now. Do tell, I’d love to hear the rest,” Eric smirked again.

"How about not."

Eric looked at me suspiciously, but then seemed far away, like he was going over his list of creatures whose only human feature was their body. He inhaled again and narrowed his gaze.

“I do not like not knowing things,” he said at last.

“You’ll find out soon...as long as you scare that demon off when you leave.” My lip curled in anger just thinking of the vile creature stalking me.

“And if I do...you’ll let me in on your secret and explain why you’re so scared of it?”

“Yes, yes, I promise, cross my heart. Now if you don’t mind, I am exhausted and would like to go to sleep,” I began ushering him out. “I will see you...when I see you. Goodnight, or whatever.”

He smirked and stepped on to my porch, “Have fun tomorrow. Busy day for you.”

With that he took off into the woods, and I could hear the shriek of the probably wounded demon, which instantly put my mind at ease. Nothing like a thwarted predator to help you sleep at night.

Image


If looks could kill, my alarm clock would have imploded 20 minutes ago. All I could do was glare at it, the beeping instrument of torture. I just could not bring myself to get up even if it was nearing noon. But finally, after the fourth snooze, I rolled out of bed, stalking downstairs. Over coffee and one of the muffins Sookie dropped off the day prior, I flipped through my date book and frowned when I saw a familiar name. Maudette Pickens, a cashier at the Gas n’ Gulp, was destined to die tonight. Sookie’s had talked about her once, that her brother Jason was fooling around with her. At least she would be wearing her name tag while she worked, one thing was in my favor.

When nightfall came, I had already paid a visit to poor Maudette, who seemed quite down. It saddened me, but there was nothing I could do, intervening in the affairs of Death is not something anyone should do.

What Eric had said last night kept replaying. “Have fun tomorrow. Busy day for you.” Busy day? All I wanted after a day like this was to come home, lay on my couch, and watch my shows. Of course, this wouldn’t happen. I wouldn’t even be able to take my shoes off and get a glass of wine before Pam showed up at my door, smirking. She looked beautiful in her lavender twinset, but terrifying in the same moment. Sookie had once told me she thought of Pam like Alice in Wonderland...but with fangs.

“Eric says you have a demon running around. I could smell it, but it won’t be bothering you,” she tapped her foot impatiently. “Now if you’re ready, you have a nightclub to run.”

I gaped at her and rubbed my temples, putting my heels back on and followed Pam to the car she had driven here for my benefit. What a jackass, I thought. I’ve talked to him a whole 3 times, he breaks into my house, gets part of my secret, and then expects me to just run his business for who knows how long.

“How long am I supposed to be running Fangtasia?” I asked, flipping through my date book to make sure working would not interfere with the passing of any souls. There were a few during the twilight hours, but luckily they were later, and I should be able to leave.

“Two weeks. He’s gone to Mississippi, vampire politics.”

“I see...and he though I would be fit to run a well established club?” I quirked my eyebrow.

“Yeah...I didn’t see it either.”
♠ ♠ ♠
ah, i'm sorry this took so long. i go to class 4 days a week and i just run out of time or motivation. but here it is! feedback is the best thing, even if it is just yay or awesome. a one word comment to me, is better than no comment.

xx thirst.