Status: active

Show Me Your Teeth

not afraid.

My nights were becoming incredibly busy, and my days weren’t faring much better. Sookie, who had not been around for a while, was now turning up everyday, upset because bodies seemed to be piling up around her. First it had been poor Maudette, and now it was a was a waitress she worked with named Dawn. I had to feign surprise at the whole ordeal, but I already knew. After all, I was one of the last people both women had seen before their death. It was sad, and I was beginning to get concerned. Normally in small towns like this, the only deaths you get happen to older folk, like in nursing homes. Now, two healthy young girls had turned up dead, and they had one thing in common: both dabbled in being fed on by vampires. Of course the authorities assumed their deaths were the work of a vampire, but any person who actually knew something about the walking dead would know that the victims would have been drained of all blood. To me, it was sounding like the work of an anti vampire serial killer.

But what did I know? I shared my theory with Detective Andy Bellefleur, but he brushed me off saying that “city girls should just stick to what they know.” That was fine with me after all, it wasn’t my job on the line if the killings continued, in fact quite the opposite.

“You really should meet Bill soon,” Sookie prattled, sipping her coffee. “I’ve told him all about you and he seems excited.”

Oh great. That’s just what I need, one more vampire that knows all about me. Fabulous.

“Well, that would be wonderful. Just find a time and I’ll see what I can do,” I smiled. My face was beginning to hurt from smiling so much, but if I didn’t keep up the happy act I’m sure she would suspect something.

“I heard you were working at Fangtasia?”

I suppressed a groan, and nodded. “Yes, Eric...recruited me to help out. Help him with finances, that sort of thing.”

“That was awfully sweet of him-oh shit! I’m late for work. Gotta run! Drop by anytime, don’t be a stranger!” Sookie waved and sped out of my house.

Finally! Alone at last. What possessed that girl to stop by at 8:30 was beyond me, but she had stayed until almost noon. She was a sweet girl, couldn’t hold a conversation that wasn’t about Bill for more than 10 minutes. Furthermore, she was keeping me from my new nonpaying job, and I had an awful lot of shit to take care of. Luckily no one was dying today, which freed up at least 4 hours for a long relaxing nap. Ah days off. I wish we could see each other more often, we just have too much fun together.

Image


Large leather tote in hand, I departed around dusk, while there was still a few rays of light. Sulfur still lingered in the air, but I would be safe while the sun hung around. Sunlight affected demons much like vampires, but without the burning flesh. It severely depletes their energy, and if it tried anything it would surely lose. I may look small and I’ve been told delicate, but I am quite powerful.

Part of what I told Sookie was true. I was working with his finances, but I was also running his entire club, with the help of Pam of course. These were details that really weren’t of importance to her. She couldn’t keep her mouth shut and I didn’t need the whole supernatural world knowing what was going on. Loaded with various expense reports, my bag was quite heavy, but they needed to be looked over before I could do anything further. Eric was smart, but it seemed like he just threw money around without exploring other...options. It made some sense. His club was doing quite well but that was still no excuse.

There was still and hour until total darkness, so the cars I saw in the parking lot belonged to human employees. Ginger was already outside cleaning off a large piece of graffiti that screamed “fangers suck” in bright red. She was so sweet, but bless her soul, she was dumber than a stick. She’d been glamoured so many times there was hardly anything left up there. Through all of her faults she had been extremely loyal to Eric and so she stayed.

By 11:30 the club was bustling, and I had barely made a dent in all the paperwork that needed to be sorted. So many invoices, employee records, bank statements, you name it, it was all in a box only labeled by year. To make things worse, Ginger had just informed me that we were running quite low on TruBlood; and that there were some Fellowship of the Sun kids at one of her tables. When I stepped out of the office and onto the club floor, they were easily visible. They looked on angrily at patrons, and sneered when a vampire walked by. So far they hadn’t caused trouble, but I wasn’t taking any chances. The last thing we needed was the SWAT team equipped to handle vampires show up because one of those idiots provoked a vampire.

“Good evening boys,” I smiled sweetly and slid into their booth.

They smiled and one of them went to speak, but I cut him off.
“Next time you decide to graffiti hateful messages, you might want to try a different medium.”

“That wasn’t us!” a younger one spat.

“Oh sure, and I suppose you came here to have a good time? Listen I know what’s going on here. You came here to spread your so called message of light, and harass paying customers who are having a perfectly good time.

“I want you to take a look at that pretty lady sitting on the raised platform. See, she doesn’t take to kindly to your type, since you rave about her destruction. When I tell her that it was the likes of you that killed her nest mate Chow, well, things won’t work out well for you.” I smiled again.

“Why would you tell her? She just sees you as food, she wouldn’t believe you.” The one who spoke tall and well built, but I had the upper hand.

I smirked. “That’s where you’re wrong. She’s my boss and uh, I’m sure that she would just be elated to know that Steve Newlin’s brother is here for a visit. After all, it was your big brother,” I pointed to him, “that started this whole business.

“Now, what I want you to do, is get up quietly, tip your waitress very generously, and leave. Do not make a fuss, just drive on home.”

The group of them collectively glared, but got up, throwing money onto the table. Groups of dancers parted so they could make their way through. The brother of Reverend Newlin was the last to exit, and he glared at me to scare me. I just smiled and waved, exiting the booth to have a quick word with the bouncers.

Back in the office, I slumped in my chair, a hand over my heart. It had slowed down, but when the brother looked at me like that before leaving, I had to admit it made me nervous. I hoped that they wouldn’t cause any more trouble, but deep down I knew that they would be back, and they wouldn’t back down without a fight.

Image


Beautiful pinks, yellows, and purples streaked across the sky. The morning air was chilly and crisp. All the vampires had left over 2 hours ago, but I stayed behind to place some last minute orders. Even though the parking lot was empty, save for my car, I felt nervous. When I reached my car, my fears were validated.

Shattered glass littered the pavement around my car, while deep gouges scored the sides and hood of the car. Slashed tires was the final piece of destruction, besides all the Fellowship pamphlets filling up my car.

Defeated, I shuffled back into Fangtasia, semi-content with just crashing on the office couch. At least it would be warm in there, and when I woke up, I could make some coffee and not be bothered by the pesky telepathic waitress.
♠ ♠ ♠
here it is! i'm glad i can get this out to you guys, since next week i'll be super busy with classes.
feedback is wonderful
xx