It's So Unreal

845 words

He smirked as the blade in his hand glistened. Tightening his grip on the handle, he turned it slightly. The light reflected off the newly polished blade and into his victim’s eyes.

“You won’t be able to do it,” his victim said hoarsely.

“Won’t I?” He slurred, smirking, “I think it’s you that’s tied to a chair and not me. Sure, if you were in my position you might not do it but me? I’ve been planning this for a while now.”

He rotated the knife slowly in his hand, inspecting the glistening blade from every angle.

“You’re drunk,” he sighed, dropping head onto his chest, “Do you even have a reason to do this to me?”

“Nope,” he said blankly, walking slowly forward, “I haven’t got a clue. I just want to.” With each step his smile grew wider. “I’m actually looking forward to this.”

“Ed…”

“No,” he interrupted, “Why don’t you stop talking? It’ll save me a headache ‘cause nothing you say is going to stop this knife from ending up in you.”

“Eddie…”

“No Dan,” he smirked, “Save yourself the trouble. No one’s gonna hear your shouting and no one’s gonna catch me. I mean, who would suspect me after all?”

“No one,” Dan murmured, looking down at his bound up feet. He winced slightly as the pain of the blow Ed had delivered to the back of his head hit him. It had started as a sharp pain, dulling as he had blacked out. Now he felt as though his head was about to explode.

Ed walked over to him quickly, laying the blade on the table inches away. Yes he was going to kill him but it didn’t mean he didn’t still feel some affection towards him. Placing his hand slowly on the back of Dan’s head, he felt the blood that was seeping out of the gash he had made. As he removed his hand he saw the scarlet blood on his hand and the bloodstained blonde hair.

He smiled.

“Now,” he said, retrieving the knife from the table, “How are we going to do this? Fast or slow?”

Dan didn’t say a word, thinking that if he remained silent he had even the slightest chance of living just a little longer.

“Now, now Daniel. Being silent isn’t going to buy you time.”

“You said I should,” Dan snapped.

“Just answer,” Ed snarled, “I’m just giving you the option. I’ll enjoy it either way.”

Dan remained quiet, his eyes still fixed on his feet.

“Have it that way then,” Ed growled, losing patience with the blonde, “By the looks of that head wound you’re not gonna last long anyway.”

Dan dragged his eyes away from his feet and looked up at him. Up until now he had remained calm, deciding that screaming and shouting wasn’t going to get out of the situation. Now he knew that saying calm wasn’t going to help either.

As he looked up into the once warm brown eyes above him, his own blue ones began filling with tears. If he was going to die he felt he may as well not bother holding any feelings in anymore. The only thing he wanted to maintain in death was his dignity.

He closed his eyes, willing himself not to look into Ed’s again. Dan felt a tear run down his cheek, falling onto his jeans and leaving a small dot of wet fabric.

“Ed, don’t do this,” he said, opening his eyes and focusing on the small dot.

Ed ignored him and stepped closer, blade twirling in his hand.

“Ed, please…” Dan begged, trying desperately to keep his voice steady.

Ed mimicked him, taking another small step closer.

“Teddy…”Dan whimpered, voice cracking, “Teddy, please...”

There was a moment of silence as Dan looked up at his brother and Ed looked down at his little brother. The knife slipped slightly in Ed’s hand and Dan held his breath, hoping for one second that there was a chance he could be saved.

Ed blinked furiously and regained his grip on the weapon. He placed his free hand on his brother’s cheek, wiping away one of the tears with his thumb.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, “I can’t stop now. There’s no way I can stop.”

He moved his hand towards Dan’s hair. Gripping it tightly, he pulled his head back and placed the blade on the side of his neck, about an inch or two below his ear.

Without looking into his brother’s eyes he dragged the blade slowly across Dan’s neck, watching as beads of blood appeared. As he moved the knife across his neck he gradually added more and more pressure as he became more and more confident with his actions.

He watched in silence as the life drain out his brother’s bright blue eyes. Relaxing his grip on Dan’s hair, he placed the blade onto the table next to him. Dan’s head fell backward, the gash stretching open further and even more blood flowed freely.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, closing his brother’s eyes and turning away.