Seize the Day

Eleven

Lacey stood up slowly, wincing again. Johnny touched her elbow gently, and she pulled away quickly. His arms fell to his side.

"You okay?" he asked, knowing the answer.

"I'm fine," Lacey said. She took a step toward her own bed, her head spinning. She closed her eyes and grabbed Johnny's arm for support.

"You're not okay," he said. "Come on, you've gotta lay down-"

"I'm fine," Lacey hissed. "Now, I've gotta get changed for the football game. Cady's counting on me to be there and support her."

She turned around and pulled her shirt off. All at once, Johnny, Brian, Matt, and Zacky sucked in a deep breath. Not because of her finely toned body, that was due mainly in part to her position she once held on the Hawkeye's dance team, but because of what was on it.

Her ribs were severely bruised, black and blue contusions painted her curves and cuts severed her skin. Her arms were just as bad, showing dark, finger-shaped bruises and rope burns. She turned around, hearing their gasps. She covered her chest, attempting to hide even more cuts and bruises, but the attempt failed. Brian and Zacky glanced at each other, their faces showing uncomfort, and Matt clenched his fists.

"He did this to you, didn't he?" Johnny growled.

"Johnny, don't-" began Zacky.

"When I find him, I'm going to kill him," Johnny continued.

"Please, Johnny, just leave him alone," Lacey begged. "Don't do this."

"Is this what happened in the three hours you were gone?"

"Stop. You're freaking out over nothing."

"Nothing?" He looked over her and shook his head. "You call this nothing?"

"I'm fine."

"Lacey, look what he did to you. Don't say he didn't do it 'cause I know he did. And when I find him, I'm going to-"

"Johnny!" shouted Lacey. "I can handle myself. Don't. Get. Involved..."

"I'm your boyfriend now, therefore I am involved."

"Oh, now you're my boyfriend?"

The room grew silent, and Brian pulled on Zacky's sleeve. They looked at Matt, and they all left quietly. Lacey picked up her jersey and slipped it over her head. She looked up at Johnny, her eyes filling with sorrow. His expression softened.

"Lacey, I-"

Lacey pushed her finger to Johnny's lips to silence him. She looked up and said, "Can we just go get a spot for the game?"

He nodded and kissed her forehead. They got downstairs to see Brian, Matt, and Zacky buying a bunch of Iowa merchandise, including foam fingers and black and gold wigs. Lacey giggled a bit and took Johnny's hand. They looked at each other, forgetting about Brandon, and left for the football stadium.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short. It's how I've been writing lately.

Comment?

I missed writing this.