Seize the Day

Thirteen

Johnny stood, holding Lacey. Both were watching as Matt picked up a good-sized tree branch and snapped it like it was a toothpick. Lacey flinched, and Johnny pulled her closer. Matt saw, and he knew the noise startled her. He dropped the two halves of the branch.

"Lacey, I'm sorry," he said. He leaned against the wall next to them.

Lacey just put her hands over her face and began to cry. Johnny kissed the top of her head gently, but she still was shaken. Matt turned over and faced the wall, his forehead pressing against the brick. They had been forced to leave the game, even though they hadn't started the spat with Brandon and Ben. They'd lost Jimmy, Brian, and Zacky in the confusion. Lacey buried herself in the crook of Johnny's arm.

"Lacey?" called a faint voice. "Lacey!"

She looked up. Coming down the avenue under the stadium were Jimmy and Cady, followed by Brian and Zacky. Matt stood up defensively, but he backed down when he saw Zacky's familiar Afro wig. Cady practically ran up to Lacey and nearly tackled her in a hug. Lacey stumbled backwards, knocking Johnny into the wall.

"Lacey!" she exclaimed. "What happened?"

"Okay, first- get off me!" Johnny said.

Cady stood up and said, "Sorry. Anyways, you gonna tell me?"

"Brandon was there," Matt growled.

"Why?"

"I actually...well, I was at his apartment. And he..." Lacey was stumbling over her words, but she pulled up the sleeve of her jersey and showed Cady the bruises.

"Oh my god..." Cady breathed.

"That's just her arm," Matt muttered, kicking the wall.

"I got away, and he must have figured I was going to be at the game," Lacey continued. "Ben's still after you anyway. I heard him tell Brandon he was gonna kill Jimmy and Zacky, if he had to, to get you back."

"That's what he said?" Cady asked.

"Actually his exact words were 'the dumbasses with their arms around her', so I assumed he meant them."

Cady looked at Jimmy and Zacky who were attempting to calm Matt. She said, "I don't think we should go back to the game."

"But don't you have to march?"

"I'll take the consequences. Right now I'm more concerned about you. I'll get changed up, and we'll go somewhere." Cady looked at Johnny. "Why don't you guys wash your war paint off, and we can meet back here in fifteen minutes?"

Johnny nodded, and he led Lacey away. She smiled back at Cady, and Cady smiled in return before heading back toward the changing rooms. Jimmy wanted to follow her, but Lacey insisted that she had wanted everyone to look more presentable. He reluctantly followed the others to the bathrooms, and Lacey chuckled a bit at how much he cared about her. Johnny hugged her again before she went to sit down on the bench across from the bathrooms. She drew her knees up in the fetal position and looked around. She had never been so afraid for her own safety, but she was glad the guys had come along.

She just hoped Cady would be okay without anyone there with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Been writing shorter chapters lately. Hope that's all good.

Comment!!!

Also check out more A7X, HU, PR, and more in our other stories.