Seize the Day

Twenty seven

Matt came back from talking with Angelica, and he put an arm around Johnny. They all looked anxiously at him, but he didn't say anything.

"Building suspense, gigantor?" asked Johnny.

"What, shorty?" Matt said. "No, just making sure everyone's here."

"There are only five of us to count, and their fifteen minutes is almost up," said Jimmy. "So unless you can only count to four, get on with it!"

"Well, she said if she's feeling up to moving around, Cadey can be out by noon tomorrow," Matt replied. "Unfortunately, she does not recommend traveling."

"Well, we can't just leave them here with no protection from Ben and Brandon," Zacky said.

"I'd prefer not to have them victimized more than they already are," Jimmy said, earning an odd look from Zacky.

"I can't take it anymore," groaned Brian, looking in the window of the room. "What are they talking about?"

"Bri, stop being a creeper," said Matt.

"I'm not!" Brian protested.

He was shot four disapproving glares, and he held up his hands in defense. He backed slowly away from the window and leaned against the opposite wall. Johnny sighed and sat down in a chair opposite the door.

"I just wish I knew what was going on," he said. "It's hard to imagine not being around them after this long-"

"Hey, stop," said Matt. "They will come with us."

They all looked at him.

"Won't they?"
----------------------------------------
"I don't wanna believe he would ever do something like that," Cadey sniffed. "Even as violent as he could be."

"I think Brandon wore off on him," said Lacey, wiping away her tears. "I'm sorry."

"Hun, it's not your fault."

"I know...I just...I..."

Lacey put her head in her hands and started crying again. Cadey put a hand on her friend's elbow, but Lacey's body racked with anger and sorrow.

"Lace, come on," crooned Cadey. "It'll be fine. We have Johnny and Jimmy. If we call them, you know they'll be here in a heartbeat."

"You think?"

"I know. I've never seen a man with more love in his eyes when he looks at you than Johnny has."

"You and Jimmy aren't too shabby, yourselves." Lacey chuckled, wiping her eyes on her sleeve.

"I just wish it didn't have to be like this. I want so badly to go with them. But I-I don't think I can..."

"Cade, you will. I promise you'll be with Jimmy."

"I just don't want him to come find me..."

Lacey didn't have to ask who she was talking about. She knew she meant Ben, and she knew it was hard to speak someone's name who'd been that unloving. She crawled up next to Cadey and laid down next to her, like they were little girls telling secrets at a sleepover. But this- this was no sleepover.

"I swear on my life," began Lacey, "I will not let him touch you. I won't let him near you; I won't even let him look at you."

"You mean that?" Cadey asked, already knowing the answer.

"Of course I mean it. You are my best friend, and I'd never let this happen to you."

"Lacey, you're the best friend a girl could ask for," Cadey said, choking up.

Lacey smiled and rested her head on her friend's shoulder. There was a sound from the door, and the two noticed Jimmy and Johnny looking in the window. Lacey rolled her eyes and smiled. The door opened a second later, and Johnny and Jimmy fell through.

"We have to tell them," Lacey whispered.

Cadey closed her eyes, feeling the pounding in her head growing louder. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short, but I guarantee you Mel's got a doozy comin' up.

Comment? Yes! Me and Mel looove comments :)