Seize the Day

Nine

Lacey took Johnny's hand and led him to her dorm. He followed closely behind her, being her shadow. They entered through the beaten down door that had crudely been set back into its frame. He sat down on her bed while she gathered up her books into her backpack.

"I have only a few classes," said Lacey. "I should only be a few hours."

Johnny crossed one leg over his other knee. "I don't mind," he said. "I'm sure it will be worth the wait."

"I know." Lacey picked her bag up and walked over to Johnny. "Are you gonna walk me to my class?" She kissed his cheek.

He stood, entwining his fingers through hers. He kissed her, and her heart skipped a beat or two. She looked past him, noticed the mangled door, and frowned. He saw her change in mood. He touched her cheek, forcing her to look at him instead of the frightening memory.

"What is it?" he asked.

Lacey shook her head. "It's nothing. I just need to get to class."

Johnny led her down the stairs. They passed Cady, sweetly flirting with Jimmy, and Matt and Brian who were both checking out some of the passing college girls. Lacey giggled as Brian pointed at her. Johnny flipped him off.

Lacey stopped, spotting Zacky by the wishing pond in the courtyard. Johnny followed her eyes to the wishing pond and frowned.

"Is he sad?" asked Lacey.

"I don't know," said Johnny.

"I'll go talk to him," said Lacey. "I'll see you later, okay?"

Johnny put his hands on her cheeks and kissed her lips. "Okay," he said. "Text me after class, and I'll be waiting for you."

Lacey nodded and approached Zacky. He didn't notice her at first; he was chewing on one of his snakebites and staring into the cool, clear water. She cleared her throat, and he looked up at her. She sat on the edge of the pond and stared up at him.

"You okay?" she asked.

"You and Cady have been friends for a really long time," he said. "But...she doesn't tell you everything."

"What do you mean?" asked Lacey.

"Well, earlier. Jimmy's run-in with the tree." He sighed. "It wasn't a tree."

"Cade wouldn't lie to me."

"Well, she did."

"Then..."

"Some guy named Ben. He was a douchebag."

"Ben Spencer? Why wouldn't she tell me?!"

"He's friends with Brandon. I don't think she wanted you to know"-

"Bullshit. She would never keep something like that from me."

Zacky shrugged. "She did, though. Jimmy punched him square in the mouth. I was there. I'm sorry to tell you, but Cady lied to you."

"No." Lacey shook her head. "I don't believe you."

She began walking away when Zacky shouted, "Don't say I didn't tell you."

Lacey walked as fast as she could to her first class. She never looked back. Not once.

When she got to the lecture hall, she spotted two fairly tall men standing by the window. She put on a small smile and continued walking. But the closer she got, the more familiar the men looked. She made a small noise as the reflection in the window became clearer. The blonde man turned around and tapped the black-haired man on the shoulder. Lacey hid her face in her jacket, but they saw her anyway.

Brandon and Ben.

"Lacey!" said Brandon. He sidled over to her. "Hey, I've been meaning to talk to you."

"Brandon, I don't want to talk," replied Lacey.

"Just listen," insisted Brandon. He touched her shoulder, and she flinched. Ben blocked the door from her. "I have to know something."

Lacey looked at Ben. He had a huge bruise across his chin, and her thoughts flew back to Zacky.

"Brandon, I'm going to be late for class," she said quietly.

"What's a pretty girl like you," he hissed in her ear, "doing with scum like him?"

He was referring to Johnny. Brandon coiled a piece of her hair around his finger and yanked down. She screamed silently as he pulled her closer to him. He wrapped his fingers around her neck and clamped down. She began to cry. The bell rang, and nobody was outside to see Brandon and Ben carry the screaming girl to their car.

Just as they sped away, Brandon took Lacey's phone from her bag and threw it out the window.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wasn't planning on that. Sorry.

Hope it's all working!
Comment!

Me and Mel loooooooove comments!!!