Status: Completed.

Ash Over Seas

Step up to me; I know that you've got something buried

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Jacob grumbled as he staggered downstairs, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, to find Paul and his sister curled up happily on the couch. They looked like a freakin’ Christmas card or something. It made Jacob sick.

“Seriously, guys, do you really need to do that right now? I just woke up,” he muttered as he shuffled over to the fridge.

“Um, Jake, it’s noon already,” Rachel said with a frown. “It’s not my fault you slept late. We’ve been up for hours.”

“It’s not my fault I had to patrol until four this morning. You try it and see how late you[/]i sleep,” he snapped.

Paul growled defensively from the couch. “Don’t talk to her like that.”

“She’s my sister I can talk to her however I want!” Jacob yelled and Paul tensed further, preparing to attack if things went any further.

“Boys!” Rachel protested as she placed a hand on Paul’s chest and pushed him back against the armrest. He relaxed slightly but kept a wary eye on Jacob as he whipped back to the fridge and slammed it open angrily.

The two muttered some choice words to each other as the house fell quiet once again, save for the murmur of the romantic comedy in the background.

Finally, Jacob managed to produce a bowl of cereal and questionably good milk as he grabbed a spoon from the silverware drawer. He glanced over to see the two lovers still rubbing noses and whispering sweet nothings to each other. The snow falling outside only added to the cliché moment and he wished he could chuck something at them but he wouldn’t want to hit his sister. Only her arrogant ass of a boyfriend.

“All right, that’s it,” Jake grumbled as he stalked into the living room and threw himself down into an old armchair, swiftly grabbing the remote and flicking through the channels until he reached a horror, determined to ruin this moment however possible.

He sat back, smiling smugly as a scantily clad teenage girl ran through the forest, attempting futilely to outrun her captor.

“Jake, what the hell is this?” Rachel complained in annoyance as she tried to grab the remote back.

Jake snatched it out of her reach and dangled it triumphantly. “Romantic, isn’t it?”

“That’s not going to stop us,” Paul smirked as he captured Rachel’s lips in his once again, exaggerating it for effect.

“You're really missing out, man,” he added after pulling away, winking knowingly.

Jacob’s fists trembled and his glass bowl of cereal shattered easily in his grip.

“Don’t you fucking talk to me about that!” he snarled as he stood abruptly, ignoring the crunching sound as the shards pierced the soles of his feet. It wasn’t like he could really feel it anyway.

“Don’t you two start!” Rachel said sternly, though there was a flicker of fear behind her eyes. Even she knew not to get between two werewolves about to have it out.

Luckily, the front door swung open and all heads snapped sideways as Jared strolled into the hallway.

“What’s up guys?” he chuckled, grinning as his eyes swept over the room.

Jacob growled lowly and shot Paul a contemptuous look.

“Well, either way, man, you're up for patrol again,” Jared continued, glancing with a frown at Jacob’s feet.

“Good,” Jacob growled lowly, not wanting to spend another moment in the house with those two.

“Leah’s already out there. She’s running the outer perimeter.”

Jacob nodded, not bothering to sweep up the shattered bowl as he swept through the door and disappeared into the wet, dripping forest. He shivered as the cold smell of fallen snow reached his nose and he quickly stripped from his clothes, concentrating on the warmth pooling from deep inside his bones.

Paul’s such an ass, Leah’s voice greeted him as he hit the ground on all fours and began running.

Tell me about it, Jake muttered as he delved deeper into the trees. Anything?

Nope. I’m going to keep running out here. You mind taking the inner circle?

Jacob knew he really didn’t have a choice in the matter so he simply agreed and stuck his nose to the ground as he darted through the woods, his mind roaming over everything from his hatred of Paul to his shattered relationship with Colby.

He nearly winced as he thought her name and quickly pushed the thoughts away, knowing Leah would give him hell for it.

You don’t give me enough credit, the girl spat in annoyance. There’s a reason I’m like this.

Jacob felt a stab of guilt and let out a wolfy sigh. She was right. If anyone really knew what he was going through, she would, only the situation was slightly different in her case.

She’s a fool to give up devotion like that, Leah said bitterly. She doesn’t know how lucky she is.

She doesn’t understand, Jacob defended softly. Whatever her reasons are, she thinks it’s best.

Leah snorted and he could see her thoughts were disapproving, though she didn’t say anything more.

It was another hour into patrol before Jacob finally picked up on something.

Jake, you're at the border, you don’t need to go any farther. It’s not our land, Leah bit as she saw the sight through his eyes.

There’s something going on, Jacob frowned as he pressed his nose to the earth and focused his hearing.

No unusual sounds reached it, but a very familiar smell tickled his nose and the hair along his spine immediately stood on end.

She’s there. I can smell it.

Your girl? Leah frowned, searching for the scent in his mind.

Jacob didn’t answer as he lurched forward and pushed himself over the divide. He began sprinting toward the familiar white mansion with the glass windows on all sides, his vision burning crimson already. She was there this time, and he wasn’t going to let anything stop him from seeing her.

Jake, come back here! You're finishing patrol or I’m sending Sam after you! She threatened but he wasn’t listening.

He blurred through the trees, his heart hammering in his ears and his thoughts racing so fast that even Leah wasn’t able to distinguish them. When he finally reached the driveway, he phased in midair and quickly pulled on his tattered jeans. He was strangely furious that she would be here, especially without his knowing. Who knows what could have happened to her without him there. What if one of them lost control? The thought sent angry shivers down his spine as he urged his feet forward, his fists clenched firmly at his sides.

Without waiting to knock, he blew through the front door to find most of the Cullen and Woodbury families lounged comfortably. The door slammed against the wall, but no one so much as flinched.

Edward, likely having heard his angry thoughts from a distance, was already standing at the foot of the stairs, his stance protective and his eyes stern.

“Edward,” Jake growled warningly as he stepped into the home.

“Jacob, what are you doing here?” Alice asked anxiously as she moved to stand near her brother. The blonde snickered in the corner and Jacob released a snarl in her direction.

“Don’t play with me, pixie,” he threatened. “I know she’s here.”

“I don’t know what you're talking about,” Edward said calmly, though his stance didn’t relax. It was a dead giveaway and Jacob didn’t know why he even bothered with the useless charade. He’d get past the leech no matter what it took. If he got to tear him apart, that would only be a perk.

“Jake, please, be rational,” Bella pleaded softly as she rose from her seat.

The werewolf’s eyes snapped to her and flashed angrily as a tremor shook his frame. The anger boiled in his stomach. She had some nerve.

“Bella, after all that shit that went down, you have no right to tell me to be rational,” he snarled.

Bella’s expression immediately fell with guilt and Edward’s face hardened angrily.

“Hoe dare you talk to my wife like that!” he hissed venomously.

“I’ll do what I want, now get the fuck out of my way before I rip you to fucking shreds!” he demanded, his entire frame shaking now.

“She’s not here, Jake. You're wasting your time.”

“I know she’s fucking in here! I can smell it!” Jacob roared.

“Let him go.”

All eyes snapped to the corner of the room where Atticus Woodbury sat, still as stone, on the couch, his cold and emotionless eyes peering at the scene before him. His lips were twisted slightly with distaste and annoyance, but his eyes were serious.

It was shocking to hear the boy speak up like that, but there were more pressing matters at hand.

Jacob took the momentary distraction to shove past the vampires as they gaped at the quiet boy. His feet left them far behind as he tore up the stairs, following the scent of the path she’d taken.

He could sense it getting stronger and his hearing began picking up on voices, though the thundering of his heart in his ears compromised his ability to really hear what they said.

Finally, after what seemed like ages, he reached the door where the scent stopped. He pushed hard against it and it flew open as he swept into the room.

His footsteps immediately stopped as his eyes took in the sight.

Colby sat, chained down to a leather table while Jasper and Henry stood on either side of her. Her eyes were pained, the icy depths of navy blue seeming to stretch on for ages. His heart clenched painfully as he heard her voice whisper his name, barely audible even to his ears. He wanted to run to her but his eyes quickly grazed over something else…

A flash of red behind her caught his attention and his vision zeroed in on the large needle filled with a thick red liquid… Colby’s blood. Carlisle was holding it.

His brain made the connection within milliseconds and set his frame shuddering once more as waves of anger pulsed through his veins. He didn’t even know what to think of the situation.

A bloodsucker was standing there with a full vial of his imprint’s blood as if it were the most natural thing in the world. Jacob’s anger wouldn’t allow him to comprehend any reason why Carlisle would need her blood, aside from drinking it. The fact that he was a doctor as well as a vampire was easily forgotten in his rash conclusions.

Even as the thoughts flashed across his mind he felt himself losing control on his muscles as his vision blurred with red.

He felt cold hands wrap around his shoulders, dragging him away from the scene as he stumbled along, teetering on the edge of release. Snarls ripped from his throat as his muscles vibrated viciously.

He jerked his arms back, shoving himself away from the vampires as he tore through the door, slamming it so hard that he heard the wood crack. Not that he cared anyway.

He tore through the forest, the damp earth shredding beneath his angry strides as he pushed himself faster. His breathing was heavy and sharp.

Jacob, you need to calm down, Sam’s tranquil voice drifted through his thoughts but he just growled. He didn’t want to hear it.

You saw it! He took her blood! A vampire took her blood! We can’t just sit by and let this happen! God only fucking knows what he’s doing with it! Jacob snarled.

You're right, we don’t know, Sam said calmly. So we must not jump to conclusions.

You’d be the same way if it was Emily in there, Jacob bit harshly and his alpha sighed sadly.

Jacob—

No!


Tired of trying to be reasoned with, he focused all his energy and concentration to phase back to his human form. He felt a wave of relief, as his mind was silent once more, but for his own furious thoughts.

What had they been doing in there? Jacob hadn’t taken much time to examine the scene; once he’d seen the bloody needle that had been it. Vampires and loose blood floating around never meant something good.

He only wished he’d been able to keep a handle on himself long enough to make sure she was okay.

A cold shiver ran through his body as he realized he’d just left her in a house full of vampires that were likely to smell that blood and be sent into a frenzy. The blonde male had been in the room, too, and Jacob knew he was the weakest at controlling himself.

Fuck, he swore as he abruptly turned to face the direction he’d come.

Could he go back without becoming furious again? It would do him no good to rescue his imprint if he was just going to phase and hurt her anyway.

Then he remembered the boy—Atticus—had been there, and Jacob knew that despite the boy’s quiet and angry nature, that he was very protective of his sister. He wouldn’t have allowed her there if there had been danger, right?

“Jacob?” a melodious voice brought him from his thoughts.

He turned around, frowning as he saw Bella Swan gazing sympathetically at him. Her newly topaz eyes seemed to sparkle with understanding and he immediately felt bad for lashing out at her before.

“What are you doing here, Bella?” he asked, his voice cold and resentful.

“I… Colby asked me to find you… to make sure you were okay.”

A sharp pain stabbed at his stomach. “Colby,” he whispered. “Is… is she okay?”

Bella bit her lip, weighing her response for a moment, for she knew she had to be careful with her words. “Carlisle is taking good care of her.”

Jacob’s eyes flashed angrily and he gritted his teeth. “You mean by sucking out her fucking blood?”

“You don’t understand, Jacob,” Bella said softly, wishing so much that she could tell him.

“Then tell me,” he growled.

She shook her head sadly. “It’s really not my place. Colby will tell you… if she feels the time is right. I’m sorry, Jake.”

“Don’t tell me you're sorry!” he shouted, his temper flaring up once again. “She’s my imprint for God’s sake! How would you feel if you saw your precious leech like that!? You have no idea what this is like so don’t go telling me you're sorry.”

“I was hurt once too, Jake,” she whispered and his face softened ever so slightly.

“Then you should understand that telling me you're sorry does nothing,” he hissed, turning abruptly on his heel and disappearing into the brush once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
awwww poor jake :(

comment?