Status: Completed.

Ash Over Seas

And I wonder if truly you are nearly as beautiful as I believe

I groaned as I felt the covers ripped from my body, cold air rushing against my skin causing me to shiver. I rubbed my eyes open, noting the retreating figure of my brother as he quietly left my room.

“School,” was all he said before disappearing around the corner.

I’d almost forgotten. And of course, since we were a half hour away, I had to wake up even earlier. I swung my legs off the bed, feeling the chilly wood beneath my bare toes. I glided over to my closet, pulling out a simple pair of skinny jeans that fit loosely around my legs—I preferred to be comfortable for the most part—and an olive-colored sweater. I brushed my hair out, letting it fall around my face, and headed downstairs.

Atticus sat at the table hunched over bowl of cereal, while my father bustled around the living room, helping to get Artemis and Pan dressed and ready to go.

“Ready for your first day?” I asked the small, red headed girl as she slid into the seat next to me, dressed in a grass green sundress that matched her eyes. The six-year-old nodded happily, radiating excitement. I reached out for my youngest and most quiet sibling, placing him in his high chair.

Pan Woodbury was barely three years old and—though it hardly seems possible—even quieter than Atticus. The small boy was incredibly intelligent for his age—we all were—yet I had hardly heard him speak more than a handful of words in his entire life. I figured it must be something that the boys in his family inherited.

“Colby, Atticus, I suggest you two head out before you're late. I can take care of these two,” my father said promptly as he placed a bowl in front of Pan.

I nodded, reaching out to grab my school bag and heading toward the door, slipping on my converse as I went. Our father followed us silently with fluid grace, his face calm and stern.

“I want you two to be careful. I know it’s been a while but just… try to be normal,” he said. “You especially,” he added, giving me a stern look. I rolled my eyes and nodded, placing a kiss on his cheek.

“Don’t worry, Daddy. We’ll be fine,” I assured him before striding down the driveway and climbing into the passenger seat of my brother’s black Forester.

None of my family had much regard for speed limits, so it didn’t bother me that it took us only 18 minutes to reach school rather than the usual 30.

“Fuck,” Atticus muttered as his eyes took in the tiny school in front of us.

“Culture shock, eh?” I grinned as I walked forward to the front doors. Once inside, we quickly found our way to the office where we were greeted with a pleasant-looking woman in a frilly blouse.

“Hello, dears. What can I do for you?” she asked politely, her eyes slightly in awe at the sight of my brother and I.

“Colby and Atticus Woodbury,” I replied. “We’re here for our schedules.”

“Oh, right!” she exclaimed, reaching to thumb through a file cabinet of papers. “Ah!” she said, pulling out two clean white sheets. “Here you are!”

I smiled appreciatively and thanked her before heading back out to the hallway, glancing over our schedules and comparing them.

Calculus, Biology, English, Photo Tech, Lunch, Gym, Study Hall, History.

Ugh, history.

“They fucking put you in gym?” my brother seethed as his eyes slid over the paper in my hands. “Those fucking idiots, I swear to—“

“Atticus, calm down,” I said, rolling my eyes. “It’s fine.”

“No, it’s not bloody fine! Go back—“

“No. I’m keeping it. God knows I’ll need to have some fun in this place.”

“Yeah, I’m sure it’ll be great fun when—“

“Shove off, okay?” I bit, shooting him an annoyed glance. His eyes hardened and he peered icily around the hallway that was now crowding with students gawking at us while we passed. I was used to my family attracting stares from strangers. Being what we were it was a given, but that didn’t make it any less awkward.

“They're all staring,” he growled, bristling as he subconsciously moved closer to my side so that our arms were brushing.

“What do you expect, Attie? It happens everywhere,” I replied indifferently. “They're staring at you too and it’s not like they're going to try anything.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Well, even if they do you know full well that I can take care of myself.”

The tall boy just grunted and motioned that he had to turn down the hallway. I bid him a quick goodbye, hoping I would be able to make it to my first class on time.

Jacob had never been so apprehensive about attending school in his entire life. There had been a rumor of two new kids joining La Push High and he had a feeling, he knew, it was the girl and boy from the beach.

He tapped his foot impatiently as he leaned against his locker, searching through the crowd of people for any sign of them.

“Find her yet?” Embry asked from behind him, walking up with Quil, Jared and Kim in tow. The girl looked absolutely thrilled that someone else had found his imprint.

Jacob glanced over. “No, no sign.”

“Maybe it’s not them,” he shrugged.

Jacob growled. “It’s them.”

They all just smirked at his tone as Jared threw an arm around his imprint, grinning widely.

“So how are you going to introduce yourself and stuff?” Quil asked, bouncing with anticipation. “I mean first impressions are everything, you know.”

Jacob hadn’t thought about that and his mouth dried up as he imagined the scenario in his head. Sure, he was already head over heels for her, but she didn’t even know who he was. That complicated things a bit.

“Well… uh.”

“Oh, this is going to be good,” Jared grinned evilly, clapping him on the back.

Kim slapped him lightly, scolding him not to joke over such a serious matter.

“It’s not that serious. We all know she’ll be attracted to him. That’s how it works,” he shrugged.

Yeah, easy for him to say. Kim had already had a crush on Jared before he imprinted, making it a piece of cake for them. From the looks of it, Jacob’s imprint already had a boyfriend. He just couldn’t catch a break, could he?

“Come on, man, lets just get to class,” Embry said, placing a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I'm sure she’ll turn up.”

Jake nodded while Kim kissed her boyfriend goodbye and the three of them headed off to their first class together, taking seats near the middle of the room. Jacob sat farthest back, knowing he would not be paying attention at all to this lesson. His mind would be entirely on this mysterious girl. He hardly noticed when someone slid into the seat next to him.

“Hello,” the girl said sweetly, extending her hand. “I’m Cammie… hello?”

He snapped out of it and glanced down at the girl. She was a pretty girl, with black hair and dark brown eyes, skin colored like most other Quileutes. But Jacob couldn’t have cared less.

“Hi,” he said politely, turning back to the front.

“You're Jacob, right?” Her voice was almost sickly sweet, like how the vampires smelled. But this girl was clearly human.

He nodded.

“You’ve changed since I last saw you,” she continued, referring to his absence for the past several months. Her eyes quickly took in his appearance. “You look good.”

He stared at her for a moment, trying to figure out why she was talking to him. He heard Embry snort with quiet laughter that only his ears picked up and scowled at his friend. “Uh… thanks,” he said awkwardly, making no point to continue the conversation.

He watched the clock impatiently, wanting to just get this class over with. As the bell was just about to ring, a tall figure sashayed into the room, her pitch-black hair swaying effortlessly behind her thin frame. Jacob’s stomach knotted and his heart picked up as his mind registered that it was the girl from the beach.

I knew it was her, he thought smugly as he immediately sat up straighter in his seat.

He watched as she handed a slip of paper to the teacher, all eyes locking on her tall form. He heard several whispers from the males in the vicinity, causing him to growl protectively. Embry glanced over and winked at him, looking between him and the girl. Jacob smiled and suddenly really wished his seat partner were no longer there.

She wore her hair down today, so that it fell in a soft sheet to brush the bottoms of her shoulder blades. Her tall, slender form faced the front, glancing around for a seat.

“Everyone, this is Colby Woodbury, our new student,” Mr. Moore stated, seeming slightly taken aback by the girl’s beauty as well. Jacob had to admit; he’d done a good job imprinting. He noticed that her heart rate was rapid, faster than normal, but she seemed tranquil on the outside as she smiled and took a seat next to Kim. Luckily, Moore decided to do a review of Junior Precal today, meaning that all we had to do was complete a worksheet. Jacob opted to ignore the worksheet, much to his partner’s displeasure, and eavesdrop on his imprint’s conversation.

“Hi, I’m Kim,” beamed the girl, unable to contain her excitement. Jared must have told her everything and Kim was clever enough to put it together that this was the girl. That and the fact that Jacob’s vacant, loving stare completely gave it away.

“Colby. It’s nice to meet you,” her partner replied. Jacob was taken aback, not only by the beauty of his imprints voice, but by the strange way she pronounced her words. Kim seemed to notice this also.

“You're British?”

The girl chuckled, her laugh like a symphony in Jake’s ears. “Yes, I lived in London most my life.”

Kim nodded. “Wow, that’s awesome. So this weather must not be unusual for you.”

“No, I’m quite used to the rain. I love it, actually.”

Kim nodded happily once more. “So what do you think of America so far?”

Colby grinned. “Well I haven’t been here long, but it seems nice. People here have a better sense of humor than in England. They're less uptight.”

“You should meet my friends, then,” Kim chuckled and Jake’s stomach flipped nervously. “I'm sure you’d love them.”

“That would be great.”

“Can I see your schedule?” Kim asked, grasping the paper as it was politely handed to her. Jacob watched as she glanced over the sheet, wishing he could read it also, but she was holding it out of sight.

“Looks like we just have this and English together, but that’s not too bad!” the girl chirped. “And it seems you have Gym and History with some of my friends also,” she grinned, shooting Jacob a discreet smile.

“Brilliant,” grinned his imprint. “People here are… generally nice?”

Kim nodded. “For the most part, yeah. Why? Are the people in London mean?”

The girl grimaced, as if reliving a bad memory. It made Jake want to rush over and take her into his arms, but he knew that was completely inappropriate behavior for a stranger. “Some of them, yes. They can be quite horrible.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Kim said sincerely.

Colby shook her head. “It’s all in the past now,” she replied, so quietly Jacob wondered if she had meant for anyone to hear her.