Status: Completed.

Ash Over Seas

And you say the present’s just a pleasant interruption to the past

I woke the next morning to find that Jacob had kept his promise and refused to leave my side the entire night. His large arm was draped protectively over my waist as he cradled my still chilly frame against his bare chest. For a moment, it was the happiest I’d felt in a while, until my stomach lurched violently and I found myself heaving the scanty contents of my stomach onto the floor beside my bed. Last night came flashing back through my mind fast enough to make my head spin and Jacob was awake in an instant.

“Oh shit, Colby, I’m so sorry,” he apologized needlessly as he reached to pull my hair away from my face.

I waited until the dry heaves subsided before asking why he was sorry. I took deep breaths and cringed at the lingering taste in my mouth.

Jacob noticed my expression and pulled me into his arms as he carried me into the bathroom.

“I… well, I wasn’t supposed to fall asleep,” he said ashamedly as he filled a glass with water and handed it to me. I quickly rinsed the bile from my mouth and spit it into the sink, shaking my head.

“Jacob, you needed to sleep. Besides, it’s not like if you were awake you could have stopped my stomach from having a fit,” I told him.

“Well… I guess not,” he said with an awkward grimace. “Are you feeling okay now?”

Truthfully, I felt like I’d been thrown from a four story building into the street and been plowed over by an 18-wheeler. My head was pounding and felt like it might snap my neck, my muscles were aching and despite the fact that I’d been sick, my nausea lingered.

“I’m fine,” I lied.

Jacob clearly didn’t believe me, but he didn’t push the issue as he pulled me onto his lap and held me close. I closed my eyes, leaning my head on his shoulder and it was silent for a moment until a horrifying thought crossed my mind.

My eyes shot open. “Does my father know?” I asked, leaning away to gaze up at Jacob’s face. My spinning head protested the motion but I ignored it. The boy’s face stayed calm enough, so my panic eased a little.

“I talked to him a little after you fell asleep. He got in around two last night and I explained what I could to him.”

I nodded, glancing at the clock to see that it was now noon.

“And he was okay with you spending the night in my bed?”

A small smirk tugged at the boy’s lips despite the gloomy situation and I was glad he was still capable of some humor. “I may have told him I was staying on the floor… I also may not have followed through with that.”

I felt a small grin forming on my face. “Thanks.”

He nodded, and I got serious again as nerves clenched my stomach.

“And… um, did Atticus come back? Did he say…?”

Jacob’s face became stony and his eyes focused on the wall in front of him.

“I sent a message out to the pack, telling them about him and they chased him north. Last I remember, it was five this morning and they had nearly reached Canada. I don’t think he’ll be back for a little while at least, and when he does we’ll have his scent. We’ll be ready.”

“You think he’ll definitely be back?” I asked quietly.

Jacob shrugged. “I dunno. I don’t know him well enough. Would he come back?”

The expression on my face was enough to assure him that Cormac wasn’t the type to give up so easily. He’d be back, whether it be tomorrow, or in a year. There was no way of telling when he’d be back, but he definitely would.

“Come on,” said Jacob, pulling me from my thoughts. “Atticus should be home by now and he can give you the full story.”

I nodded, and Jacob allowed me to stand on my feet as he supported my weight a little. He disappeared into my room for a moment to put on a shirt, and then we made our way downstairs.

Atticus and my father were seated at the kitchen table, a mug of coffee in the boy’s hands as the two talked. Their expressions were masked and they almost looked like two statues placed for decoration, were it not for the subtle twitching of their lips.

They turned as Jacob and I entered the living area, and my father quickly stood from the table and flashed to my side. His arms wrapped around my frame and despite Jacob’s hatred of the creatures, he willingly stood aside to let my father fuss over me.

“Bloody hell, Colby,” he breathed as he pulled back and his icy fingers checked over my frame for new injuries. “How are you feeling?”

I could see the underlying fury behind his eyes, and new it wasn’t for me, but for the boy that had caused such stress on my already fragile condition.

“I’ll be alright, Daddy,” I assured him with a small smile.

I looked to Atticus, who was watching us with an unreadable expression and sent him a silent thank you. I knew he wouldn’t have wanted anything more—he always hated making a fuss over things.

“Is there any news?” I asked the boy. My father, Jacob and I made our way into the kitchen and seated ourselves around the table. I assumed Ari and Pan were either still asleep, or ordered to their rooms, as they were nowhere in sight.

“We lost him round Whistler, just past the border. I talked with your… pack,” he said, his eyes flashing quickly to Jacob, who seemed surprised at being addressed, “and they said they were going to spread their routes wider and keep them running. They want a word with you today.”

Jacob nodded, still silently in awe.

“And…,” Atticus paused to take a breath, glaring at the table as if the words were stuck in his throat. “I’ll be running with you for a while, until this blows over.”

My eyes widened and I sat up straighter. “You… you're joining the pack?”

His glare flashed at me, but softened immediately. “Not… joining. Just helping.”

My heart swelled with affection for my brother, who was going back on something he swore he’d never do, just to ensure my safety.

“Thank you,” I murmured quietly, and thought I saw a tiny smile twitch at his lips as he nodded curtly.

My father turned to me. “I don’t want you leaving the house anymore unless someone’s with you. Understand?”

I nodded, another thought occurring to me, but I was nervous to voice it. My father’s temper had been very on edge lately.

“Daddy, do… do you think maybe we should call the Cullens?” I asked, being sure to avoid using Carlisle’s name directly. “This is something they ought to know about.”

Jacob nodded, speaking up despite the instant tension in my father’s posture.

“She’s right,” he said. “The fortune-teller will be able to keep an eye on that le—Cormac,” he corrected himself quickly. “It would actually be useful.”

My father glared softly at my boyfriend for a moment, his mind visibly turning over the options as Jacob stared right back. Finally my father simply stood and fetched the phone from the wall, shoving it into Jacob’s hand.

“You can do it.”

Jacob didn’t argue, but picked up the phone and wandered to the other side of the room, quickly dialing the numbers in.

As he spoke, explaining the situation, Atticus rose from his seat, probably to head back to his room for some sleep. He glided over to me, placing his hand on my shoulder and squeezing it quickly before he disappeared.

After a few more minutes, Jacob clicked the phone off and came to stand by me.

“They're going to keep an eye out,” he assured me. “I told them everything and apparently they’ve seen him in flashes but never anything concrete. They said they’ll do what they can… and Carlisle wants to see you again soon.”

I nodded, rising to my feet as I sighed deeply. I wondered why things always had to be so complicated. Why couldn’t anything just be normal for once?

“Do you want to go get some more rest?” he asked softly as his warm hand clasped over my own. I shivered with pleasure at the temperature and nodded.

“Don’t you have to go talk to Sam?” I asked when Jacob began climbing into my bed again next to me.

“It can wait. Besides, I’m more useful here where I can actually keep an eye on you. Whatever news Sam has can wait a while,” he assured me, pressing a kiss to my temple as he pulled the covers up to my shoulders. “You're more important.”

I bit my lip, hiding a shy smile as I leaned in to kiss him. He welcomed me eagerly and gently laid me down on my back as he supported himself on his elbows above me. His heat wrapped around me like a fire as his hand tangled in my hair and he deepened the kiss.

And suddenly, sleep was the last thing on my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
last for today :)