Status: Completed.

Ash Over Seas

Drop this façade, this is not who you are.

Macaroni and cheese.

A basic, staple childhood food and it was one of Jacob’s favorites. He would be here any minute and I was trying my best to get it into the oven before he arrived.

I mixed the sauce vigorously; sweat breaking out on my brow. I cursed that such a simple task like this would cause my breathing to spike as if I were running a race. Frustrated, I mixed harder until my muscles screamed in protest and I felt a warm hand over my own. I let out a pathetic sob, again cursing that my emotions were so volatile lately.

I hated being weak like this.

“Fuck this, Atticus,” I hissed as I threw the spoon into the sink and slumped into the nearest chair.

My brother easily placed the casserole into the oven and looked at me with unreadable eyes. My lip trembled and I bit down on it.

To my surprise, Atticus’s face softened and his eyes drooped sadly as he reached his hand out to grasp my own. He easily pulled me to my feet and wrapped his thin, muscular arms tightly around my torso.

His face buried into my shoulder and his black hair mixed with my own so that they were indistinguishable. He rubbed my back wordlessly and I cried even more as I hugged him back. Emotional exchanges like this were a rarity with my brother, and he seemed to know that I really needed him to be there right now. He knew I had needed this comforting from him, almost more than anyone else. And I did feel better.

Soft footsteps caused us to pull apart as Jacob stood in the doorway, eyeing us curiously. Atticus pulled back, placing a soft kiss onto my forehead before turning away. I couldn’t see his face, but I swore I saw him nod swiftly to Jake before he disappeared into his room.

I quickly wiped my eyes and shot Jacob a small smile.

“Cole, are you all right?” Jake asked as he stepped forward and placed a hand on my shoulder.

I nodded. “Yeah, I’m just not used to deep moments like that with my brother… it’s kind of intense, you know? I just really needed it.”

Jacob smiled and pulled me into his side for a quick hug. “I know. It’s comforting for me to know that he cares about you so much.”

“I think he feels the same way about you,” I smiled. “I think that’s why he likes you more than anyone else I’ve been with.”

Jacob chuckled. “Well, it’s not like I had much competition….”

I shook my head, kissing him softly. “No… no, you didn’t.”

After dinner had been served and eaten, I decided it was time Jacob got a moment to himself. Over the past months, he had spent every waking hour either by my side or running patrols, and I knew Billy must have missed seeing him around.

“But Colby, it’s your birthday tomorrow and I want to be here when it turns,” he whined like a child and I chuckled, shaking my head.

“That’s sweet and all, Jake, but I’m going to be having my party soon and I’ll see you then. Come on, I know you miss Billy and I definitely know Billy misses you. You should really go spend some time with him, he’s all alone in that house.”

“Well, he does spend time with Sue Clearwater,” Jake mumbled.

“Jake, please? I’ll be fine for one night and I can see you tomorrow, I promise. Just please, go see Billy for a little while.”

Jacob glared, pursing his lips as he thought it over.

“Fine,” he gave in. “But I’m coming back the first second I can.”

I chuckled and shook my head. “I’ll be waiting.”

“Okay.”

I walked him to the door and leaned against the wall as he put on the jacket he obviously didn’t need.

“I’ll see you soon,” he assured me, pulling me in for a breathtaking kiss as I wound my fingers into his hair. “Bye,” he whispered, and with one last peck he had disappeared out the door.

“Bye,” I breathed to his retreating form, watching as the rain began pouring down, soaking him instantly.

I sighed, collapsing onto the couch next to Ari and Pan, savoring the lingering warmth that came from having him so close to me.

The feeling lasted until I changed into my oversized t-shirt and boxer shorts and climbed into bed. I wrapped the thick covers over my body and snuggled down into them, unable to contain my excitement for seeing Jacob again in the morning.

You could imagine my surprise when, just as I was drifting off to sleep, I heard my door creak open to allow a large, tanned figure into my room.

“Jake? What are you doing here?” I asked, sleepily rubbing my eyes as the shirtless boy came to sit on the edge of my bed. He was grinning widely. He looked… mischievous.

“I had to come see you again,” he said huskily. “I can’t keep away from you, babe.”

I laughed and shook my head. “Babe? Really?”

Jacob just shrugged and scooted closer, pulling me into his arms. I tucked my nose under his jaw and settled against him.

I felt his fingers beneath my chin as he lifted my face up to his. Before I could think twice, his lips were crashing onto mine in a smoldering kiss. It was fierce, stronger than any we’d shared before and I wondered if our previous conversation about sex had lodged itself in his mind.

Somehow, I got the feeling it had.

I shivered as he pushed me back down onto the bed, hovering his weight over me as his hands began to push up my shirt. He was everywhere, and all I could think about, but I knew I wasn’t ready for this quite yet. I wanted to be with him that way, but not until I was well enough to really make it special. And certainly not while my entire family was home.

“Jake,” I breathed, as his hands began tugging at the elastic of my boxer shorts. “Jake, wait.”

He pulled back to look at me, and I could still see the fire burning behind his eyes. A maniacal smile curved his lips.

“What?” he panted, reaching to brush my hair away from my face.

“I… well I think I know where this is going… and I don’t want to offend you or anything but I don’t think now is quite the right time for this. I mean, you know, my family is all here and it would just be better when I’m healthy...” I said awkwardly.

Jacob laughed and shook his head. “You're overthinking this, babe. It’s not a big deal. They won’t even know.”

He kissed me again and I gave in for several seconds before pushing away.

“Wait, Jake, no really,” I chuckled, leaning my forehead on his. “I think we should wait for a better time.”

I was surprised as I felt his hand curl up into a fist and come down hard onto the bed next to me.

“Jake? Hey, are you okay? What’s wrong?” I asked nervously.

He ripped himself away from me, turning toward the door as he stood, his fists visibly shaking.

“Jake, I know waiting is hard sometimes, but I just think it would be best. You… don’t you understand? I’m sorry, I really am, it’s just…” I trailed off, fidgeting with my hands and praying that his temper would subside.

“You’ll never change, will you Colby?” his voice came out quiet and icy as a glacier.

“Wh—what?” I gaped, shocked that he would speak to me like that over something as trivial as sex. Maybe he was just like every other male out there. My heart sank a little at the thought.

But it was nothing compared to the plummeting sensation I felt when Jacob finally turned around.

His eyes were blazing with anger, and as he drew closer, I could clearly see the deep, crimson irises that framed his pupils.

My heart stalled in my chest and I let out several horrified gasps.

“I… you… you're not… oh my god. No, get away from me! Where is Jacob?” I cried as he drew closer, his façade slowly slipping away until he was once again the pale, ice-cold vampire standing by my bedside and staring at me with wicked eyes.

“Hey, babe,” he breathed.

I let out a bloodcurdling scream as his frozen grip wrapped around my wrist and he wrenched me from my bed, easily throwing me over his shoulder as he fled from my home.

I screamed bloody murder as we whizzed between the trees, calling out for anyone: Jacob, Atticus, my Father, the Cullens, anyone. I knew they would hear me, and come after me, but I needed to get away, before my heart collapsed from terror.

Along the way, I somehow managed to turn myself around in his grip, reaching out for a branch I could grasp. Finally, there was one I could reach and I gripped it and held on tightly as Cormac’s form continued to speed forward.

The force yanked me from his arms and I hit the forest floor with a wet splat. i cried out in pain and clutched my arm, which had probably been pulled from its socked, and spit the mud from my mouth as I quickly pushed to my feet with my good arm. Everything was wet, and I slipped slightly as I began running as fast as I could through the trees. I could hear Cormac turning around and calling behind me.

“Don’t think you're faster than I am, Woodbury!” he sneered, and his voice seemed to echo around me, bouncing off every branch and leaf. “You know I’m going to get you sooner or later!”

The terror infiltrated my veins, adrenaline pounding through my system as I pushed my legs to run faster. I couldn’t stop. My breaths were coming in sharp, painful gasps and my throat was on fire. My heart was nearly breaking my ribcage.

Soon, everything around me became silent. The only noise I could hear was the pounding of the rain on the treetops above. I couldn’t judge where he was, and I still couldn’t stop running.

My vision blurred around the edges as my breathing became weaker. I couldn’t keep up this running and the rain was already compromising my immune system. My skin was as cold as ice and I could feel myself slowing.

“Jacob!” I managed to cry out pathetically as my legs faltered beneath me and I went sprawling into the mud. The world spun before my eyes and my stomach heaved violently as black filled my vision and my mind went blank.
♠ ♠ ♠
dun dun dun...
dont worry though, the next chapter will be out in like 1.5 minutes