Status: DONE!

I Wrote This For You

First Impressions

“I really hate him Bren.” Alex said to me for about the 500th time today.
“So I’ve heard.” I said with a smile. She turned to glare at me.
“You don’t even get how much I hate him though.” She continued.
“Oh I think I have a good idea how much.” I told her.
“Oh yeah? How much?” She asked.
“Probably about this much.” I said spreading my arms out as far as they would go. That made her smile. Her first smile today.
“Yup that’s exactly how much I hate him.” She laughed.
“That’s what I thought.” I smiled. Then the bell rang signifying that school was now over. Alex and I walked out of the dismal classroom into the hectic hallway, on our way to her locker then mine.
“Will you tell me who it is sometime though?” I asked.
“Yeah right Brendon.” She laughed. “You have Mr. Mattison for English right?” She asked.
“Yeah, why?” I questioned going along with the whole ‘let’s change the subject bit.
“Is he making you guys do that essay on the book we just read too?”
“No……”
“Are you kidding? I swear that guy hates my class!” She exclaimed.
“I’m sure he just hates you.” I laughed. She stopped and hit me in the stomach, taking the air right out of me. “What was that!” I yelled. She just smiled and continued walking. I just stared at her, smiling. Then I noticed that people were still pushing past me and Alex was getting smaller as she walked down the hall. “Alex! Wait up!” I yelled. I don’t know why I yelled, I knew that she wouldn’t hear me. The after-school noise level was at about 95 decibels. I continued to walk to Alex’s locker. It was only a few more classrooms down from where I currently was. I was beginning to see her spinning the combination into her locker though the crowd of overly sexual high school students. I counted the steps until I reached her locker. That’s not weird, is it? No, I didn’t think so. I was on 25 when I approached the open locker door with the small brunette hiding behind it.

“Thanks for ditching me.” I said jokingly leaning against the locker beside her own. She slammed the door shut and smiled at me.
“Maybe you shouldn’t say such cruel things.” She said.
“I was just kidding.” I said defensively.
“Excuse me.” I heard a quiet voice say from behind me. There stood a girl, must have been only 5 feet. Blonde hair and glasses with what looked like an extremely heavy backpack and 2 textbooks in her hands.
“Sorry.” I said and stepped away. She began to twist in her locker combination.
“I know. I just like to tease you.” Alex smiled.
“Haha, you’re so funny Alex.” I said.
“I know! Aren’t you jealous?” She gloated.
“Oh totally.” I said sarcastically.
“Did you grab your Spanish?” I asked her. She looked through her bag and then started to spin in her locker combination once again. “Your welcome.” I said.
“Thanks. I completely forgot about that.” She said grabbing a red folder and notebook from the top shelf of her locker.
“Aren’t you glad that I caught up with you after you ditched me?” I laughed.
“Yes. I’m glad that you decided to stalk me.” She replied.
“Umm…..can you help me get my locker open?” The blonde haired girl asked.
“Sure. What’s your combination?” I asked.
“47-29-9” She said.
“You a freshman?” I asked. She nodded. I laughed quietly to myself because I remember when I was a freshman and I couldn’t get my own locker open. Those were the days. I heard the locker click and I flung the door open. “There ya go.” I said and stepped away again so she could get in it.
“Thanks.” She said.
“You ready?” Alex asked me.
“Yeah. I just have to get a few things.” I said.
“Ok.” She said and with that we started for my locker which was on the first floor near the cafeteria.
“I still hate him.” Alex said. I sighed. When would she ever let go and get over this ass hole? “Don’t sigh at me mister! I already told you that you wouldn’t understand why I’m so mad.”
“Could you at least try to explain so maybe I could understand a little?” I asked.
“No!” She yelled.
“Why not?” I asked.
“Because it is between me and him and not you, me, and him.” She said.
“Fine.” We started to walk down the little stairs that everyone would get stuck in during passing time.
“Do you ever feel claustrophobic when you walk down these stairs?” She asked changing the subject once again. Which I really didn’t understand because she’s the one who always brings it up…
“No.” I laughed.
“I do. But only when I walk down them.”
“That’s weird.” I said. Then we walked out of the door that had a large, black ‘1’ above it.
“Yeah. But I think it is because when I walk up, the air is getting thinner.” She explained. We passed the cafeteria and turned down the hallway that my locker was on.
“That makes sense.” I agreed.
“Of course it does. Because it is my logic.” She smiled. I laughed. That is something so typical for Alex to say. I counted the lockers to go in my head-7. We walked in a comfortable silence for the rest of those 7 lockers. Then I turned to the left and started to spin my own locker lock.

“So what are you doing later on?” I asked Alex as my locker door clicked and I pulled on the handle. She sighed and paused a moment.
“Nothing I think. Just Spanish as far as I know.” She said. I grabbed my German notebook out of the small space that it was housed in. “What about you?”
“Hmmmm. Well after I finish off my homework I think the guys are coming over for a little practice type deal.” I told her.
“Oh.” She said sounding a bit disappointed. I turned to look at her.
“What’s wrong?” I asked shutting my locker door and spinning the lock so nobody could steal my stuff.
“Nothing.” She said looking away.
“Alex. Seriously. Tell me what’s wrong.” I insisted.
“No, really. It’s nothing. I’m just being silly.” She said. “Are you ready?” I gave her a questioning look.
“Yeah, I guess.” I said. And we started to walk back to the front of the school to leave, this time, in an uncomfortable silence.
“So I’ll talk to you later then?” She asked before we went our separate ways.
“Yeah. Of course.” I said.
“Bye.”
“See ya.” I answered and went to the left towards my car while she went to the right to hers.

Why was she acting so weird all of a sudden? I didn’t get it at all. Maybe it’s just because she’s a girl and they have those really weird mood swing things. Or maybe she was thinking about that stupid kid again. Or maybe she just remembered that she had to do some chores or something at home. Or, or maybe it’s because she is finally starting to love me as much as I love her! Wait…did I just think that out loud? Can you even think out loud?