Status: Comment&Subscribe! Active!

"Hello," I Lied.

Chapter Twentynine.

Jack

The ride home turns out to be uneventful, but seeing as Dustin is constantly stuttering when he has to speak to me, it's pretty funny. I pull up into the drive-way, seeing that my father's home. Well damn. This situation is already pretty awkward from my point of few, and down right disturbing for Ashleigh's boyfriend. Entering the house, I notice that it seems eerily silent. I shrug, used to the distance in the family.

I grab a coke and head back to the living room in time to see Dustin and Ashleigh making out on the couch. I groan, making them jump. "Come on, seriously guys?" Their faces blaze hot as I huff, sitting down across from them. "ANYWAYS. We do need to really talk about this whole situation." My face, I'm sure, reflected how seriously I look, judging on how uncomfortable the two teens appear.

"Jack, I..I mean, we've already got a p-plan.." Ash seems uncertain of her own words. "I mean, we're going to tell dad and Dustin's parents already know!" She says, becoming a little more confident.

"Okay Ash if you really do want to tell him, I'm behind you. I need to be there, of course." I announce sternly. He didn't take it too well when I practically flew out of the closet, I mean.. he is trying to do better, but this may set him off.

"You know how he gets, and for everyone's safety, we need to go about this carefully." She nods, tears filling her eyes. Dustin leans over, pecking her cheek with a kiss as he holds her tightly. Maybe he doesn't need to be killed. I'll think about it.

The next hour is filled with pure sibling (and guy to guy) bonding. Talking over the options, I realize Dustin isn't a total dickhead and that he's just as scared as Ashleigh. Finally, we decide that we're going to tell dad within the week. The worst he can do is make her give up the baby for adoption, right?

"Jack! Are you home!?" My fathers voice booms throughout the house, making all of us
snap to attention. We hadn't heard him come in. Dad comes rushing into the living room, grabbing random items as he so. "Okay, I need Jack to come with me, I have some things to discuss with you." My stomach pretty much drops, and I nervously peer back at Ashleigh.

"Okay. Uhm, Ash we'll talk more when I get home, okay?" I promise, hugging her and glaring at Dustin, whispering, "No funny business." Dad rushes me out of the house into his police cruiser, pulling out quickly.

Worried, I ask, "What's going on, what's wrong?" He doesn't answer, his knuckles gripping the steering wheel so tightly his hands turn white. I decide not to push him and shut up. His phone starts ringing loudly, and he flips it open against his ear, face intent on the road.

"Yes. Yes. Dammit, at the hospital? Why didn't they...alright, I'm on my way. I'll call for back up if I have to. My son is with me. Alright." Freaking out slightly, I wonder what he means when the realization hits me. The hospital either means Nate or something happened to my mother. In all actuality I hope it's mom, but the thought crossed my mind that he would have had Ashleigh come, too.

"Dad, please tell me what's going on." I beg as we make a sharp turn. "Please!" I practically shriek as he sighs in defeat.

"Son...your friend Nate, his family's in the Witness Protection Program. I've been assigned his case starting about three months back. A gang has been threatening their lives." I stare at him, completely lost. Nate? Gangs? None of this makes any sense. He continues.

"Somehow- we're not sure as of yet- they've discovered the whereabouts of the Rivers family. They've been attacked already, leaving the hospital."

"So is N-Nate okay?" I ask, my tongue tripping over his name. My father starts to slow down as we enter a neighborhood.

"We've assumed so, but Mr. Rivers and his son have most likely gone back home to make sure Kyle's alright. So far, though, no one's been harmed." I gulp at the though of Nate dead. Gripping the door handle, I ride in silence with my father as we pull up to Nate's home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know you're all waiting to find out WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.

But Jack has to have his say! :D

Comment! :D