Status: Comment&Subscribe! Active!

"Hello," I Lied.

Chapter Fourtyone.

Jack

I've been pissed, tired, restless, and pissed for the last two days. I want to do something, but I haven't had any energy. It's like when Nate left, he took a part of me with him; I know that sounds cliche, but it's true. I couldn't even work up enough self encouragement to take a shower, for christ's sake!

All my self loathing thoughts were halted when I heard a small knock on my door. Rolling out of bed awkwardly slow, I open the door just a crack so that the hallway light won't hurt my eyes.

"Ash?" I ask, surprised. Even though she's my sister, and we live in the same house, we haven't really been talking. With her pregnancy, Nate's absence, and dad's death, things have gotten a little out of hand. Ashleigh looks up with a small smile, obviously anxious about talking to me again.

"Mom wants to take a late dinner. You're weren't up earlier, so...Yeah." Building up her confidence a bit, she adds while plugging her nose, "I suggest you take a shower and get ready." At least somethings haven't changed. I'd hate it if Ashleigh was suddenly nice to me, of all things.

"Okay, I'll be down in a little bit." I mumble quietly, my voice obviously hoarse from sleeping away the day. Shutting my door, I quickly grab some somewhat decent clothes and make the long journey to my bathroom. My eyes and lips are swollen from trying not to cry; I didn't succeed. My hair, a tangled mess.

Sighing, I turn on the steam shower, undressing. After the exciting experience of boiling water pouring over my body, I manage to style my hair and make it downstairs before they left without me. Of course, they probably wouldn't have done that, but Ashleigh looks hungry. Like, rip-off-your-face hungry.

As mom ushered us out to the car, her heels clicked on the driveway. The breeze starting up thanks to the setting sun chilled my back, causing shivers to ripple through my body. "So Ash," I start quietly. I'm really not sure what to say. "How is...uh, everything?" Pointing to her stomach, I imitating a fat person by pushing out my stomach and lumbering towards the car. Her expression turns to one of distaste.

"You didn't have to tell her for me." She hisses, slamming the door. Shocked, I stare at the bleak reflection of the window before getting in the back. The tension builds the whole way to the restaurant. It's crazy. Ash and I were just here with dad about a month ago. This is where Nate kissed me. Holding back more tears, not just for Nate or dad, but for the normal life we had, I slip into silence.

Walking into the building, I keep my head down and shove my hands deep in my pockets. The waiter leads us to a table with a weird fake accent. "Right this way, ma'dom."

My mother tries to get me to order something huge. "Anything you like, sweetie." I look up at her jumpy tone of voice, but her face is buried in a menu. Her neck, however, is bright red.

Grumbling uncomfortably, I figure I'll get a salad. I just want to go back to sleep. When the waitress came back, I'm a bit surprised at the aura she's giving off. It made me a bit jumpy just being in her presence, to be honest. I peer up to see a girl probably around the same age as me full of energy. Her hair is long and wavy in the front, but the back is almost buzzed. I'm not going to lie, she's something to look at. Weird.

"Why hello, my name is Marissa, and I will be taking your orders this evening. How are you this evening?" She asks in overused facial expressions and tones of voice; she obviously doesn't give two shits about how we are, she's just enjoying the cliche-ness of the whole situation. She took down our orders with a pen that's covered in fuzz, a pink bobbly alien on the top. Giving me wide googly eyes, she tells us she'll be right back with our drinks.

As soon as she left, though, the tension returned full throttle. Ashleigh coughed carefully as mom and I commented on the decorations of the establishment. After Marissa placed our drinks, she went back to whatever she was doing while mom and I had a stare down. Sipping my Mountain Dew, I blew bubbles, shifting uncomfortably in my seat.

Maybe the waitress had sensed our freakiness, because when she came with our food, she laughed nervously. "Here ya go, my lovelies!" She exclaimed, cracking me up at the accent she adorned. It sucked, but she seemed to find it suitable for a restaurant like this. I did, too. She scurried off rather quickly after that, leaving us to not only our meal, but a family crisis, or so it seems.

Okay you guys," Mom starts slowly, setting down her fork after the meal's almost over. I sit up a little, telling myself, 'I knew there was something behind this.' "I have something to ask you. Something important." Ashleigh and I exchange looks as mom clears her throat, looking pale. "Because of Ashleigh's.." She glances at her daughter's belly. "Problem, I've been on the phone with my boss, and I have to tell you two something that you might not like." We wait, arms crossed.

"Ashleigh," She decides to just tell us. "You're moving to Europe with me." Before either of us can interrupt, she blurts out, "It'll be good for the baby!" Ash and I sit in stunned silence.

"What about me?" I ask.

"We'll talk about that at home. You don't have to go since you're of age."

Ashleigh bursts into tears. "B-But D-Dustin and the baby!" She exclaims, tripping over her own words.

Mom sighs, rubbing her temples. "I know, and I'm sorry for this honey, but we need to move. I need the money and I've already been settled in Europe. Before...your father died.." She chokes up, dabbing at her eyes. "Before he died, I hadn't expected to be staying long. Just...Jack...I needed to make sure he was alright, and I hadn't seen you two in such a long time."

She folded her hands in her lap, lowering her eyes. Ashleigh stares at the floor, shocked and upset. I sit in silence also, squinting at my half eat salad. If they move, and I stay, I still want to make sure they work things out. I have to help them get settled, right?

Off to Europe, then.
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed the profile :3
And I turned seventeen today (3-10)
Do you guys like the profile? Do you not?
Sorry we've been away so long,
but SOMEONE (coughcoughhannahcough) hasn't been writing.
Or she has been writing, like A WORD A DAY.

Okay, sorry, sorry. I know, I'm done being all blah, I just have to say it.
It's hannah's and my anniversary this saturday! xD