Drip.

Don’t Say A Word.

Questions kept making their way around the circle and I hardly answered cohesively anymore. Z said something about paying attention and all I could think was, ‘how ironic’. I laughed a little to myself quietly.

Drip.

It was quiet enough now for the dripping to return again. I rubbed a fist against my eye.

Drip.

I guess it isn’t so bad. It’s monotonous. It’s predictable.

Drip.

I yawned and nestled my head further into my knees.

Drip.

“Lee?” I voice to my right whispered. Must be Z.

“Yeah?” I whispered sleepily back.

“Sweet dreams.” It was so quiet, I thought for a minute I was dreaming already. Then a warm hand found its way to my left shoulder and the pressure was definately not possible for a dream. The hand moved and a whole arm snaked its way across my back. I leaned backwards into him and sighed happily.

“Ditto.” I murmured and then yawned again.

Drip.

__________

“Rise and shine!” A loud voice boomed from across the room. I jumped and stretched out a bit, slowly getting my bearings. “I think you’re all hiding something from me.” It rang out again.

The man. The blade. The camera.

He knows.

Someone must have slipped. “Z…” I trailed off, close to under my breath. I reached into his pocket beside me and when it came up empty I reached across him to get into the other one. I wrapped my fingers around the small pocket knife and shoved it into my right shoe.

I’d always worn shoes a little too big for me. I’d never been so happy I was weird enough to do that.

“What’d you…” Z trailed of sleepily before yawning.

“A-shoe!” I fake sneezed and grabbed his hand placing it on the laced up part of my right shoe. I could feet his head nodding against my shoulder. “Sorry… what were you saying?” I asked quietly back. I pretended that I hadn’t just told him something.

I should get into the show-biz if I ever get out of here.

“What did you dream about?” He asked quietly and sweetly. I smiled. How corny?

“Stuff.” I murmured sweetly, moving my head so it felt like I was looking up at him, even though I couldn’t see an inch in front of my face.

“Britnay, Arielle.” The man’s voice commanded. “Wake up and spare me the idle chatter of the two lovebirds over there.” He sounded more joking for a second. He then added musingly, “I’ve never been a fan of romantic movies.” I could imagine him rubbing his chin.

My smile widened.

“Stand up.” He was back to stern and commanding. “All of you.” We did as he asked.

“What’s up?” Britnay asked sleepily. I started really hoping we were all morning people. That would make this so much easier.

“Long story short, you’re hiding something and I’ve got a plan.”

My eyes widened and my jaw fell slack for a second. “What would that be, now?” Z asked snidely. He was obviously completely awake and already on the defense.

“I don’t like your tone, boy. You’re first.” The name sneered right back. He sounded pissed.

Z’s hand wrapped itself around mine and I could feel his heartbeat racing fearfully. It matched mine almost exactly. “First what?” He hid the fear well.

“First to come with me.” Z’s hand was ripped away from mine and I almost fell on my face trying to hold onto him.

The door slammed shut with a big bang and Ari seemed to finally burst. “The blade.” The fear she was feeling seemed evident in her voice.

“I have it.” I whispered back. I needed to stay strong in order to make this work.

“Then what happens when you go?” Her voice squeaked.

I panicked a little then. I hadn’t thought that far through. What if he made me take off my shoes? “I… I lied. I have more in my pockets. I’ll put the blade with the rest and then I’ll roll my jacket up and put it over… over in the corner or something.” I whispered pulling at my jacket sleeves frantically. I didn’t know when the man would be back.

“What do you mean, you lied?” Britnay asked, her voice an octave higher than normal.

I set my jacket on the floor with all of the bars wrapped inside it and I reached into my right shoe to pull out the blade. I then wrapped that inside with the bars before running to the corner, setting the bundle down lightly, and then running back. I took a deep breath to make sure he couldn’t tell I’d moved. “Sh… I’ll explain later.” I murmured.

I pulled at the sleeves on my shirt. I couldn’t remember if it was the same color as my sweatshirt, but it had long sleeves and a small hood so it should be pretty unnoticeable. I grabbed tightly onto Ari’s hand.

“When exactly is later?” She asked. She probably expected me to never actually tell her what I meant.

“Later is the first time we have time.” I muttered sideways. “Now, shut up.”

Drip.

I hadn’t expected her to listen.

Drip.

Thank God she did, though.

Drip.

The door clanged back open, breaking the silence.

“Britnay.” The man muttered, still not happy. I heard footsteps coming towards us, a muffled yelp, and then footsteps leading back to the door. The clang of the metal door shutting again.

“What are you going to do?” Z asked, worried. He wrapped his hand around mine again.

“I’ve got it handled.” I mumbled, trying to sound sure of myself.

Drip.

Only I wasn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count = 990

Feedback = awesomeness.